M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 10 inch rim and 280 on yesterday...

Put about 50 miles on the bike just riding around to test the feel of the new tire & rim... no problems...

Rode 100 miles to work and back today, and the tire is rubbing on the clutch side... with the swingarm, of course....

It is line a 2 -3 mm touch line where it has rubbed...

I understand that when the tire gets warm it expands, so it probably got very warm today... I touched 110 and 120 this morning on the way to work and didn't stay under 90 on the way home... so there was definitely some heat being generated...

I plan on a 200+ mile ride from DC to Dover DE and back tomorrow morning.
Bad idea?

Do I have anything to worry about?

While this might seem like a dumb question, I'm thinking that it will only rub so much before it is clear of the swing arm and stops... It may have already reached that point...

Is there a spacer that I can/should install??

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
You are the first to report that a 280 rubs on the swing arm. I think the biggest concern would be bumps. As the tire flexes/compresses to assist the suspension absorb the bump.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
it will just rub that lip of the tire off.... just dont want too much air and dont want too little air... 29 to 32 I think is what it was.... :bigthumbsup:
Erik, Erik, Erik, the lower air pressure you have it at a bigger foot print(wider). I would do a search and find out what everyone is posting up on air pressures in a 280. I would not think that they would be less then the suggested setting from Suzuki. But I could be wrong.

By the way Erik I will see you at the meet and will have your molding for you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be as CMHGUY said, and your observation could be valid as well... I'm gonna go about 50 miles tomorrow and see what it does... maybe even ride some tonight....

Will advise...

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Erik, Erik, Erik, the lower air pressure you have it at the bigger foot print(wider) it will have. I would do a search and find out wht everyone is posting up on air pressures in a 280. I would not think that they would be less then the suggested setting from Suzuki. But I could be wrong.

By the way Erik I will see you at the meet and will have your molding for you.
yea I know you dont want to go to low.....but you dont want the 42 psi I think it says on the tire either.... gotta find your happy medium.. Irish4life and I were the first to go with the coastal moto's and there was a thread on the tire pressure.. You can contact Jeff to find out what he is running, he is still with a stock swingarm.... k

Thanks Ryan....

ERIC

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have the same setup, coastal motos with the 280 35 and when I first installed them, I was quite concerned at the very small gap between the swing arm and tire. I am talking like less than a credit card thickness...And when I walked the bike backwards it would rub ever so slightly

Well after 5000 Km it is still exactly the same. Still a very small gap and no signs of tire wear or anything detrimental.

If it were me, I would ride it and keep my eye on it for a while.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
yea I know you dont want to go to low.....but you dont want the 42 psi I think it says on the tire either.... gotta find your happy medium.. Irish4life and I were the first to go with the coastal moto's and there was a thread on the tire pressure.. You can contact Jeff to find out what he is running, he is still with a stock swingarm.... k

Thanks Ryan....

ERIC
Not sure what the tire rating is but Suzuki states 42 PSI. I would rather have closer to 42 psi and have a slightly taller tire and not have it rub. The sidewall of a tire is very important.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I might be wrong here, but i would have thought that as a tire heats up and builds pressure, that it would get TALLER not wider. So therfore it would not rub on the sides :dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
wow...36 psi. :pop: I couldn't run that on my 240.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
If it was a constant rub and doing it enough to make the tire sticky or the swingarm hot, I'd worry about it. If it's an occasional rubbing under some conditions I wouldn't worry.

I would keep the air pressure where you have it now or a little higher. Low tire pressure generates heat and increases wear.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If it was a constant rub and doing it enough to make the tire sticky or the swingarm hot, I'd worry about it. If it's an occasional rubbing under some conditions I wouldn't worry.

I would keep the air pressure where you have it now or a little higher. Low tire pressure generates heat and increases wear.
This my scare you Mr Zoom, :agree:

Just remember, the bike is a stable and well built. If you don't like the handle at high speed or hard on the corners, it can be fixed.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Couldn't you just notch the swingarm slightly to provide more clearance. I don't think that it would hurt anything. I'm talking 1/16th of an inch. A grinder would do that for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts