M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted a metzler 280 rear tire on my factory wheel today and I really like the way it handles.I am not an agressive rider and have never draged the pegs in a turn.I rode over 200 miles today and took some 50 mph turns at 65-75 mph.The bike handled flawlessly and never shifted with out my input.I will keep you posted on wear and any problems I may run into.My logic in doing this is to give the tire a more rounded profile so on a tight turn it will respond more evenly.So far it has worked very well.The foot print is a little wider than the stock 240 but it looks sooooo good!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
joec said:
you have already seen a 280 on this bike.It looks the same-awsome
Well pardon our ignorance, but we want to see a 280 mounted on a stock rim. Since you are probably the only one on the board that says he's done it, why not just take a pic and post it here?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't care if I've seen it, let's see it again! Can never get enough of that. Actually it would be interesting to see the profile of the the 280 on a stock rim. Unless I missed someone doing that already, in which case I HAVEN'T seen it yet. So either way, pics please.

G

·
I too am interested. I would be concerned that the 280 would be too wide of a tire for the factory rim. Is our rim 8" wide?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
My thoughts on this.... It has not been road tested. There is a reason they say certain tires will only fit certain rims. You don't know if the bead will hold at speed and through hard cornering. Is your life really worth the risk? I know mine isn't.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think the bead is the real issue as much as how the changed profile affects the handling. Because the rim is only so wide, the wider tire now has to "wrap" over the edge further due to the bead having to stay put.

G

·
It just seems that is too wide a tire for our rim. I went to Metzeler's web page and couldn't get any info on their 280 XXL and what size rim it should go on.

G

·
I would love to see it as well... Come on, we are calling you out... post the pics, or if you don't know how, then I am sure many of us would love to help you in order to get this pics out... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
426 Posts
No kidding, we want to see because if it doesn't look retarded and doesn't want to get "squirelly" on us, we could save a couple of G's on the hub/rim conversion. I'll bet there's been some research though because everyone would have done this by now. Hopefully that'll get posted here. I'm going to do a search on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if its done or not, doesnt concern me, but upping the tire 40mm on a stock rim doesnt sound very safe.......but whatever floats your boat!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
if its done or not, doesnt concern me, but upping the tire 40mm on a stock rim doesnt sound very safe.......but whatever floats your boat!
i wouldn't do it, just want to see it. 260 seems plenty big to me.....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
joec said:
you have already seen a 280 on this bike.It looks the same-awsome
That tire was mounted on a custom 10.5 wide rim which is the recommended width wheel for the Metz 280. There has to be a great difference in the "profile" of the tire when mounted on a 8.5 inch wheel!!! A picture paints a thousand words!!!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts