M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first photo shows the 280 tire on a M109 stock size rim of 8.5".

The second photo shows the same tire installed on the tire manufacturers suggested 10 inch size.

Notice the difference in sidewall angle and the curve at the end of the tread.

For those of you that have called wanting the 280 tire for your stock rim please understand why this is an issue for us.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The 2nd pic looks better but costs $2k more than the first pic. I don't think anyone doubts that it could be unsafe or that it doesn't look as good. Its just the cost of doing it the way it should be done. Months from now, if the 280/8.5 combo has been proven on several 109s, I may try it. My next tire will be a Metzeler 260 or an Avon 250.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
azvforce said:
The 2nd pic looks better but costs $2k more than the first pic. I don't think anyone doubts that it could be unsafe or that it doesn't look as good. Its just the cost of doing it the way it should be done. Months from now, if the 280/8.5 combo has been proven on several 109s, I may try it. My next tire will be a Metzeler 260 or an Avon 250.
And its your right as an individual consumer to do that. But the tire manufacturers won't let me get away with that as it is not on their approved list of tire/rim sizes.

Thanks for understanding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hal,

Dont you think people who want to install the 28mm tire on the 8.5" rim need to know that the sidewalls will be tucked into the rim and the point of seal on the tire may not be good causing quick deflation. The part of the tread that is seen going into the rim was not design to handle the pressures of the angles this bike can turn into. What do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I think I have done all of the explaining that matters and its up to each person to make that decision. I just wanted to make sure I was on record with as much info as possible. I guess I thought that everyone realized that was one of the logical conclusions of everything I said. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for researching this HAl. I get all my insight from here before I purchase or do anything.
260 metz for me next time as well. Hopefully my stock tire has a ways to go (only 2600 miles)

~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hal,

May I say that I appreciate all of your research and time spent posting on this site that all riders can be accessable to mistakes that could cause them serious injury or death. You are indeed a gentleman and show great concern for your fellow riders.

Thankyou,

Reed

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I gotta ask, do these other tires ride that much better than the stock Elite-3? Is there a reason (other than asthetics) to actually put a 280+ on this bike?? (Asthetics and Braggin' Rights excluded please 8) ) hehe

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm gonna do the Metz 260....that 280 just don't look safe to me...It may look good but the handling must go way down , and driver confidence must take a hit too.

The 2k conversion is a nice one...but I'd have to buy the front wheel to and gosh knows how much that cost.

Thanks for the continued support Hal !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DHandyman said:
I gotta ask, do these other tires ride that much better than the stock Elite-3? Is there a reason (other than asthetics) to actually put a 280+ on this bike?? (Asthetics and Braggin' Rights excluded please 8) ) hehe
Its just plain ole personal preference and attempt to make your bike look different that all the others on the road.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Its just plain ole personal preference and attempt to make your bike look different that all the others on the road.
Hal may be being a bit politically correct. I'll jump out on the limb though. After wearing out a stock Dunnie 240 at 6000miles, I replace it with a Metz 260. From my viewpoint, there is no comparison. The Metz is much true-er into a turn, much quicker, and much more predictable. It's well documented here and in mag reviews how you have to line turns up pretty carefully and the pre-effort it takes to get they bikes weight shifted with the stock Dunnie. The Metz made a major difference. With it I don't have to be careful about picking a fine line and you don't have to get the bike moving nearly as early. This reduction in set up effort and time really minimizes turn line mistakes and turn adjustments. I think the tire change was quite noticeable for the better.

I think the Metz has a rounder profile by design than the Dunnie, and in putting the 260 on the 8.5" rim, it pulls the tire in just a little making the contact patch even a little rounder than stock. This I think makes the tire quicker into a corner.

My $.02

·
Registered
355 Posts
You would have to be a fool or have a death wish to put that tire on the stock rim after what Hal has just shown us. I hope we will all heed the warning. But some idiot will buy the tire and when it blows on him he will try to put the blame on the people who sold him the tire. Mark my words!!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Bullie said:
You would have to be a fool or have a death wish to put that tire on the stock rim after what Hal has just shown us. I hope we will all heed the warning. But some idiot will buy the tire and when it blows on him he will try to put the blame on the people who sold him the tire. Mark my words!!
I assume your being critical about putting the 280 on the stock rim. If your talking about the 260 Metz, The 260 Metz IS designed to go on the stock 8.5" rim.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I believe that Hal is a very smart businessman and knows well enough to enclose a dis-claimer with every 280 tire that is sold ( without the Replicator Wheel Kit ). At the current time the only 10 inch wide rim available ( close to release ) is the kit from DLP and to my knowledge no kits have been shipped to customers who have pre-ordered. If you haven't got a 10 inch rim from DLP then it stands to reason you're mounting it on a smaller rim!

·
Registered
56 Posts
this is funny the 280 on the stock rim looks just like the 190 on my tl1000r which is the stock tire it bulgdes over the side the same way, i personally hate how you can see the rim on the stock wheel and on the 280 conversion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jazzman said:
Hal may be being a bit politically correct. I'll jump out on the limb though. After wearing out a stock Dunnie 240 at 6000miles, I replace it with a Metz 260. From my viewpoint, there is no comparison. The Metz is much true-er into a turn, much quicker, and much more predictable. It's well documented here and in mag reviews how you have to line turns up pretty carefully and the pre-effort it takes to get they bikes weight shifted with the stock Dunnie. The Metz made a major difference. With it I don't have to be careful about picking a fine line and you don't have to get the bike moving nearly as early. This reduction in set up effort and time really minimizes turn line mistakes and turn adjustments. I think the tire change was quite noticeable for the better.

I think the Metz has a rounder profile by design than the Dunnie, and in putting the 260 on the 8.5" rim, it pulls the tire in just a little making the contact patch even a little rounder than stock. This I think makes the tire quicker into a corner.

My $.02
The Metz 260 is approved by the tire manufacturer to go on an 8.5 inch rim which is what comes stock on the M109.Â

However the Metz 280 is NOT approved to go on the stock rim.

It just seems like some of this is getting confused.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey Guys,

Normally I sit quiet and take in all the info that ya'll give out and If I feel I can help I will speak out. But this is CRAZY!!! I bought a Metz 260 from Hal and I love it. Each time I have tried to do a burnout out I launch like a rocket while pulling the front tire. This tire handles better while carving the curves and the most important to some of ya'll is looks. This tire is HUGE!!! Everybody that sees this tire is amazed. Face it, It is not worth the chance just to say you have a 280. Most anyone that knows mechanics and bikes will look at you as being a complete moron. We already have the biggest tire on a stock cruiser out there. So already we are ahead. Let's keep ahead by showing our intelligence and not use the combo of a 280 on a 8.5 rim. I am a firemedic, and it hurts to scrap a fellow brother of the highway for doing something that is not safe.

Just my 2 coppers!!
Medic32

1 - 20 of 44 Posts