M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced a 280 tire with a metzeler 280 tire on my friends 2008 M109 & he says its rubbing on the left side of the tire ( rubbed off the lettering ), has anyone have this problem & if so did it become a problem or just rubbed off to a point then stopped...?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just replaced a 280 tire with a metzeler 280 tire on my friends 2008 M109 & he says its rubbing on the left side of the tire ( rubbed off the lettering ), has anyone have this problem & if so did it become a problem or just rubbed off to a point then stopped...?
"

The same here :confused: HELP

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
it will rub ..........but it will rub less if you run the right PSI in the tire... I cant remember what I ran in my 280 ... 32 psi I think, but you gotta watch it close, like put 32... 31 psi in and ride for the day and check it... next day put 29....30 psi in and run it and check it see which rubbed less from those two days and go up from there or down from which ever rubbed less....... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Mine has never rubbed.

It is very close, but has never rubbed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
it will rub ..........but it will rub less if you run the right PSI in the tire... I cant remember what I ran in my 280 ... 32 psi I think, but you gotta watch it close, like put 32... 31 psi in and ride for the day and check it... next day put 29....30 psi in and run it and check it see which rubbed less from those two days and go up from there or down from which ever rubbed less....... :bigthumbsup:
Thanks I will try that.. i was a little disappointed afther mounting te wheel. I thought i had done something wrong.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I read some place here to grind off the numbers on the drive shaft.
I did this when I installed my 10in 280 I have no issues

·
Registered
430 Posts
me 3!

I am running a 280 on a 10 inch replicator... same issue...
gonna try remounting it at another shop or with another guy and see if that helps... I really DON'T want to go back down to a 8.5 rim and dunlop 250..
(I would REALLY like to go UP to a 300... but Oh well... not in THIS lifetime!)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
PSI

I'm not sure if this is the same for all brands of tires and wheels, but a 250 Dunlop E-3 on a stock rim gets narrower, not wider, at higher air pressures.
I put 50 psi in it to install, made it slip in easier.
32 psi seems pretty low to me. I run 42-44 psi in both my tires to prevent cupping and wallowing in turns.
You could try experimenting with different pressures and see.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
280 rubbing

I was having this same issue...was running 42 psi...CMHGUY did say he didn't remember the numbers,think he's running a 300 Metz now,but he did say to play around with it...Yukonfun suggested i might be a little low also,that he runs between 42-46...Anyway went up to my in-laws today (insulated garage where bike is stored) and inflated up to 45 psi and the wheel spun freely...Can't ride it cause of the weather up here but i'm thrilled its not rubbing at all at that number..its close but no touchy feeley ...cant wait for spring now..!! Thanks CMHGUY and YUKONFUN...:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I was having this same issue...was running 42 psi...CMHGUY did say he didn't remember the numbers,think he's running 300 now,but he did say to play around with it...Yukonfun suggested i might be a little low also,that he runs between 42-46...Anyway went up to my in-laws today (insulated garage where bike is stored) and inflated up to 45 psi and the wheel spun freely...Can't ride it cause of the weather up here but i'm thrilled its not rubbing at all at that number..its close but no touchy feeley ...cant wait for spring now..!! Thanks CMHGUY and YUKONFUN...:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Wow i have a gap also.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was having this same issue...was running 42 psi...CMHGUY did say he didn't remember the numbers,think he's running 300 now,but he did say to play around with it...Yukonfun suggested i might be a little low also,that he runs between 42-46...Anyway went up to my in-laws today (insulated garage where bike is stored) and inflated up to 45 psi and the wheel spun freely...Can't ride it cause of the weather up here but i'm thrilled its not rubbing at all at that number..its close but no touchy feeley ...cant wait for spring now..!! Thanks CMHGUY and YUKONFUN...:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Awesome! I am glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
no rubbin on my 280

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
wouldn't it depend on what rim your running as well? not all rims sit the same, even it they are the "same size"

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Side note: When I first got the M109R and it had the stock 240 rear tire on it & I thought it looked phat and nice! I had come off another mid-sized cruiser that's stock rear tire was a 170. Then I joined this forum and everyone is running 260 or 280's and a few have 300's. Now I feel like my 250 I'm running looks too skinny! :eek:

I've gotten several comments at gas stations by other bikers (non-M109R riders) and they always say "Man that's one big rear tire you got on that thing!" (referring to the Elite 250). Most think anything that is a 200 or wider is a phat tire.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts