M109 Rider Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All done. Fire away.

I am trying to do a rational explanation of what happens to the 280/300 tires when they are installed on under size rims.

And it could be a bad result or it could be a good result. We will let the pictures and dimensions tell the tale.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

300 Metzeler that will be mounted on a 10 inch rim-before mounting pictures

Added some pictures showing the 300 mounted on the 10 inch rim. The last picture in this section shows an overlay of the sidewall before the tire was mounted on top of the mounted sidewall profile. The difference is the small black triangle looking spec that you see. Until I talk to Metzeler I can't tell you if that is okay or not. I am going to guess that the answer is no good from an official standpoint but I will get the answer. Now the 280 on a stock M109 sized rim is the bottom pictures and the difference is over 1 1/2 inches or 3/4 inch per side. That is going to have a lot bigger change in angle. I will have those photos later today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

280 tire on a stock 8.5 inch wide rim size. The angle change will be much greater than the 300 on a 280 shown above.

Here is the 280 tire mounted on a M109 8.5inch stock size rim:

Compare these last two photos and look at where the side of the tire meets the tread of the tire. On the tire with no rim it is a hard angle but the tire with the rim has stretched the tire and rolled the edge of the tire into an arc. In other words the tire is pre-loaded and is trying to pop off of the rim as it sits. In my own personal opinion that is not good. I might ride it around the block but would not put many miles on it. I do not think it is safe. And all of that is my personal opinion.

And here is the picture from Joe C's 280 on a stock rim and you can see that his tire now has a rolled edge/sidewall that is also putting extra pressure on the sidewall and trying to make it pop off of the rim.

Just compare the grooves in the tread of the tire. The unmounted tire has grooves that are almost straight. Where the other two tires that are mounted have grooves that are severly curved at the edge of the tire and the sidewall is bent back on itself.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Boy if this isn't a Teaser, I don't know what is... I'll definitely be checking back to this thread.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Wow...should be interesting ...a 300 on an undersized rim , is going to leave a big hump in the tire....thus giving a porportionatly smaller patch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Wow...should be interesting ...a 300 on an undersized rim , is going to leave a big hump in the tire....thus giving a porportionatly smaller patch.
Actually I had the tire on the rim late this afternoon but didn't have time to take the photos. The tread section is almost the same arc but the sidewall is bent into the rim at a greater angle. Pics tomorrow and then I should have the 280 mounted on the M109 stock size rim.

·
Registered
106 Posts
this is going to be good! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More photos and info added to top post in this thread.  And more to be added later today.

P.S. Does anyone remember what the free clear area is between the swingarm to see if the 300 will fit?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
More photos and info added to top post in this thread. And more to be added later today.

P.S. Does anyone remember what the free clear area is between the swingarm to see if the 300 will fit?
Lamont mentioned that there was approximately the thickness of a credit card room on each side of the 280 tire when mounted on the 10.5 inch wide rim!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not really understanding what is being said here. :redfaced: But heir in Germany, Where it is required to have all tire wheel combos in the vehicle papers, Very strict safety regs. Anyway, many younger guys put much to small tires on really wide rims. on cars Example: 225 Tire on a 10 inch rim. The most important thing is that the entire tread is in the wheelwell so they do this to make it all look wider. Doesn't seem to be a safety problem because you are aloud to drive as fast as your car or bike will go in some places. Even if its over 200mph. Whatever as long as it is in the right place.

So what i was thinking is that this set up would be most likely to pull off the wheel being that the tire is much smaller. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: Just a thought

Hal you the man :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
So the total dimension is 234 credit cards? LOL.
You're a man of wit and have a sense of humor :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Joec mounted the 280 to the stock rim and had 10.5 total tire width
Lamont I believe had 11 inch total tire width with the 280 on a 10.5 wide rim
Seem that a 300 on a 8.5 wide rim would produce a tire width of 10.750 to 11 inches.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More photos posted in the first post.

Make sure you check the photos at the bottom that really show what happens when you put a 280 on a 240 size rim. Also I added the photo of Joe C's set up so that you can see that it does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.