M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you go with the 130/70HR-18 that fits a GL1800 Gold Wing, or what Metz front tire has the same rating as the 260/40VR-18 rear. Should you mix HR and VR rated tires on the same bike? I"m getting ready to get new tires as mine are severly cupped on the front on both sides, on the rear cupped or dished on the left side only. Its at the dealer now, see what they will do? tire pressure has been correct from day one Aug 16, my wife bought it for me, now I"m disappointed it needs tires. It doesn"t handle correctly , ridding two up, it"s terrible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
SlowRide109R said:
Do you go with the 130/70HR-18 that fits a GL1800 Gold Wing, or what Metz front tire has the same rating as the 260/40VR-18 rear. Should you mix HR and VR rated tires on the same bike? I"m getting ready to get new tires as mine are severly cupped on the front on both sides, on the rear cupped or dished on the left side only. Its at the dealer now, see what they will do? tire pressure has been correct from day one Aug 16, my wife bought it for me, now I"m disappointed it needs tires. It doesn"t handle correctly , ridding two up, it"s terrible. Any ideas?
The specified front tire for the 109 is a 130/70 R-18! Regarding wheather the tire is HR or VR depends on how it is used. If you do normal driving and occasional two-up riding either designation tire would be acceptable. I personally doubt you are doing routine, sustained high speed riding which would justify a VR rated tire. The key to the tire ratings is "maximum sustained speeds"!

This is a pic of the stock Dunnie with approximately 4500 miles service. There is pronounced cupping on the left side and that was due to low tire pressure ( 36 psi ). I jacked the tire pressure to 40 psi and the tire is still in service with just over 9200 miles on the bike.

You didn't mention what tire pressure you are running in your tires. I would recommend that you inflate your tires to the maximum pressure designated on the tires. Don't depend or rely on the tire pressure recommended in the owners manual, as that pressure is usually low to assure the bike has a "soft ride"!

Regarding the availability of front tires your options are probably a Dunnie D221 ( available only thru your dealer ), Dunnie Elite 3 and Metz ME 880. There may be others that I'm not aware of.

I replaced my stock 240 Dunnie at 4500 miles. I experienced the same wear to the left side of the tire you described. There is wear to the right side but not as pronounced as the left. This tire was replaced with a Avon Venom R 250/40-R18.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yea, both of mine are wearing like that too at 5100mi ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey kats i hear the problem. the question i have is how often are you checking the tire pressure. i have 3000 on my back tire and same on the front and have had no problems and i run 2 lbs psi less than the tire rating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, sad to say I"ve checked the tire pressure Evert time before I rode. I followed the recomended tire pressure in the manual, 36 psi. in the front, 42psi. in the rear, give or take 1/4 psi. I even got a good digital tire guage. When I got my bike back from the dealer after my 600 mile check up I discovered that there was 40psi. in the front, and 50 psi. in the rear. I thought it handled strange on the way home from the dealer! I"m ordering Metzlers today so I hope my tire problem is taken care of. Thanks to all who, has given me some good ideas, and has shared your experience with your tires to everyone. Enjoy riding guys, I"ll be on the road soon.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
SlowRide109R said:
Well, sad to say I"ve checked the tire pressure Evert time before I rode. I followed the recomended tire pressure in the manual, 36 psi. in the front, 42psi. in the rear, give or take 1/4 psi. I even got a good digital tire guage. When I got my bike back from the dealer after my 600 mile check up I discovered that there was 40psi. in the front, and 50 psi. in the rear. I thought it handled strange on the way home from the dealer! I"m ordering Metzlers today so I hope my tire problem is taken care of. Thanks to all who, has given me some good ideas, and has shared your experience with your tires to everyone. Enjoy riding guys, I"ll be on the road soon.
50 psi in the rear tire sounds excessive to me....I'd lower the pressure to 42 psi maximum for the rear.....40 psi for the front sounds just right :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
There's a very slight slope on our roads here to allow the water to drain to the shoulders! It's defininetly not 0% grade. I know that's why mine is like that.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
M109LOVER said:
You guys know why the tires wear more on the left side right ?
I believe curvature of the road surface and that we drive in the right lane...those who live and ride in Europe who drive in the left lane have the predominant wear/cupping on the right side of their tires!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup,overseas,the tries all wear on the right side! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts