M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question for the day! I see in the manual that you need a 24mm hex socket tool to remove the front and rear wheels. Is that a "special" tool or one I could just pick up at Harbor Freight? (I told you it was a dumb question.......):redfaced:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just went to lowes and bought a bolt with the 24mm head and put 2 nuts on it. Works perfect. About $2.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just went to lowes and bought a bolt with the 24mm head and put 2 nuts on it. Works perfect. About $2.
:agree:That's what I did. If memory serves, the special tool you can buy was like $30, so I went the other route. The only dumb question is an unasked one.:doh::D

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
I went to my local Suzuki dealer and picked one up for like $20 some bucks. I would make sure that you get the black one(impact version) vs the all aluminum one.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I went to my local Suzuki dealer and picked one up for like $20 some bucks. I would make sure that you get the black one(impact version) vs the all aluminum one.
:agree: I was the dumbass and not thinking bought the aluminum one and shattered it trying to get my front wheel off. And yes the two pinch bolts were all the way loose!!!

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
A 15/16 headed bolt will work if that's all you have handy. It's just a shade smaller than 24mm but will work.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yes the special Suzuki tool is about as soft as frozen peanut butter
(2024 T6 Aluminum) too.
I will go to the hardware store next time

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I picked up an "axle" tool from sears for about $10

It has 4 sizes and has done every axle I have run into.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Dumb question for the day! I see in the manual that you need a 24mm hex socket tool to remove the front and rear wheels. Is that a "special" tool or one I could just pick up at Harbor Freight? (I told you it was a dumb question.......):redfaced:
I just took the right sized head bolt and welded a nut on the other end, Works like a charm, Free from my bucket of bolts LOL

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
The front is 24mm, but the rear is 19mm.

I did the nut and bolt thing on the front, with a 15/16 nut welded on a matching bolt.

For the rear, you can use a 5/8" spark plug socket. Get one with the hex head on it, and place the head in the axle. Insert a 3" or longer 3/8" extension into the socket (it will go in the opposite end it normally goes into), stick a socket wrench on the extension, and you're good to go. I had both items laying around so total cost was $0.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Guess Im cheaper than most. I got the bolt for a buck, but didn't get the nuts. I used a pipe wrench instead.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Here's the tool which is sold by the site sponsor.

I did get one and haven't mashed it up yet. I would say that I'm a lucky one in that respect. I also made the bolts to fit the front and rear axles just in case.

Nathan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same here

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great suggestions guys! I am forced to be a cheapslate so off I go to get some 19 and 24mm hex heads! Thanks for the heads-up!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did what NEMO did. perfect solution

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yup.. I had Spark plug device with hex head and it worked like a charm...

gotta love this site.. you guys are so Macgyer-ish.. Anyone tried the paperclip and gum wrapper trick :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts