M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do this mod, but have not really been able to find a detailed "how to". I have seen tons of different ?'s and Answers, but they all seem different... Do I need a spacer? Do I not need a spacer? Do I need bearings, when I already have bearings on the M90 wheel? Does anyone have a link to answers? Or has anyone, thought about making one? Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
All you need for the mod is a M109 Stock Rear Rim, the Bearing Kit for an M109 and the Spacer for the M109 and all other threads say nothing else is needed and no modifications need to be made to anything else.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Do I need a spacer?
Yes, an M109 spacer.

Do I need bearings, when I already have bearings on the M90 wheel?
Yes and no. I was told by my mechanic I could reuse the M90 bearings, but my opinion is for the small cost of purchasing an M109 bearing kit you get new bearings which are more than likely better than the Suzuki bearings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do I need a spacer?
Yes, an M109 spacer.

What happens if you use the M90 spacers? I have seen others posting saying they used them. Has anyone heard back from anyoone who used the 90 spacers? Did your mechanic tell you why you needed the 109 spacers and could not use the 90?

I'm hours away from doing this mod.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i used the the M90 spacers and the m90 bearings , I was one of the first to do this mod , I've done 4000klm on the 240 with no problems at all !

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Any recommendations on where to buy the spacer and bearings?
Any online store that has the parts fiche for the spacer and Dennis Kirk for the bearings.

The M90 spacer will obviously fit, but it's not the proper size. Do it correctly and you won't have problems down the road.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i think we need to make sure everyone understands which spacer it is that needs to be in as there is 3 spacers in the wheel assembly here is a parts fisch of a 109 wheel the only spacer number that is different is number 3 which goes between the wheel bearings that is the one you need for the mod it should be in between the wheel bearings in the middle of the hub if you get a 240 rim with the bearings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Length?

What is the difference in the bearing spacer? Sounds like basically the length...? The diameter and fit is the same correct? So, the original spacer will fit, but there is a gap, where it fits in between the other bearings...? And once installed it would basically slide back and forth in between the parts... but you would notice anything? I am guessing here.. someone please explain.. and sorry for opening this can of worms.. But, thats honestly why I started this thread.. Thanks everyone for the replys!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a mechanic and honestly if there is a gap that keeps the spacers from moving and keeps them in a set position don't risk not getting the correct parts because you will eventually pay for it down the road somwhere. If the bearing starts to corkscrew on the shaft it rides on then eventually your going to be replacing the bushing and the bearing and the shaft, believe me I see lots of this at work with improper installation of parts. I would say buy the spacer and save yourself some money now rather than spend the money 3 fold later.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What is the difference in the bearing spacer? Sounds like basically the length...?
Correct

The diameter and fit is the same correct?
Not sure about the diameter, but the fit is not the same.

So, the original spacer will fit, but there is a gap, where it fits in between the other bearings...? And once installed it would basically slide back and forth in between the parts...
Bearing spacers allow for proper alignment and spacing of your bearings. If the spacers are too short then there will not be enough preload on the bearings.

but you would notice anything?
Yeah, when the bearings go bad you'll notice. Just spend the $20 for the M109 bearing spacer and save yourself headaches later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts