M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 1250 miles on the 109 in just over three weeks.....no hard burnouts.....some inter-state miles but mostly twisty riding......center is starting to flatten but no major difference in cornering......at this rate 4500 to 5000 mi. might be tops for this tire. Already have a new 250/40-R18 Dunnie on the way just in case I reach "Dead Carcass Stage" with the present tire.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've got over 3000 and don't notice any particular wear or wear patterns yet. What kind of pressure are you running?
Jerbear

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerbear said:
I've got over 3000 and don't notice any particular wear or wear patterns yet. What kind of pressure are you running?
Jerbear
I'm maxed on the rear at 42 psi

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm at almost 1000 miles, and the wear is not really excessive, but I can definitely see there's a little bit of flattening. It ain't gonna be no 10,000 mile tire. I'm guessing maybe about 7k, which is good enough for me.

I may switch to the Metz later. I have always gotten good wear from them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm sure that engine, with it's huge bore, short stroke and shaft drive is eating those tires bad on accel and decel. I would think even worse on decel, unless you're doing a lot of full throttle in 1st gear. My Buell eats 014s like they're candy. I just switched to 020s in the rear to finish the front out then try Pilot Roads. Point is, the buell has zero drivelash and that coupled with the twin power really eats tires

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wanted said:
I'm at almost 1000 miles, and the wear is not really excessive, but I can definitely see there's a little bit of flattening. It ain't gonna be no 10,000 mile tire. I'm guessing maybe about 7k, which is good enough for me.

I may switch to the Metz later. I have always gotten good wear from them.
Had a 1800 X prior to the 109. The X came with Dunnies....I got almost 8000 mi. out of the stockers. Went to Metz's and got 4000 out of a rear 200 tire that was subject to full throttle riding. When I traded the X it had a 180 metz and looked good with 3500 mi. There was probably 3500 left. Did a little research and found out that the tread depth on the 180 metz marathon was deeper than the metz 200. Seems the tire folks reduce the tire center thickness when widening their tires???
May be to maintain tire profile????

·
Registered
817 Posts
bob109 said:
Had a 1800 X prior to the 109. The X came with Dunnies....I got almost 8000 mi. out of the stockers. Went to Metz's and got 4000 out of a rear 200 tire that was subject to full throttle riding. When I traded the X it had a 180 metz and looked good with 3500 mi. There was probably 3500 left. Did a little research and found out that the tread depth on the 180 metz marathon was deeper than the metz 200. Seems the tire folks reduce the tire center thickness when widening their tires???
May be to maintain tire profile????
Hmmm... good question. Wasn't aware of this. Does anyone have access to different size new Metzlers who can confirm difference in tread depth among various sizes?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted said:
Hmmm... good question. Wasn't aware of this. Does anyone have access to different size new Metzlers who can confirm difference in tread depth among various sizes?
Lamont may know....there was a whole lot of research on the issue by VTX riders and there was a excellent post with pictures and details to include actual tire "contact Patch". You may have success at the VTX site.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've got a friend who went to a 250 Avon on a VTX that he put the fat tire kit on, and he got over 16000 on the rear. We were all amazed after eating up the stock 180 Dunlops, and not getting all that much more out of the Metzlers most of us switched to. The Metzlers sure handled better though.
Based on the wear he got on his X, I'll probably switch to the Avon when the time comes.
Jer

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't care if I need to buy a few extra tires over the years, even at $250 a pop. I would prefer to have a better handling, more sticky tire than a "high milage" tire. As far as I see it, that is part of the deal with buying a bike like this.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ok tis might be a very stupid question but due to i dont know much about the big tires i figure i would ask all the same........Now Avon has been doing alot of XXL type of tires how do they match up as far as handling and wear?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I haven't met any unhappy campers who switched to the Avons on their VTXs and assume the same will probably be true on our 109s. At 3000 miles, my Dunlop still looks and handles fine so I'll wait to see what kind of overall miles I get.
Jer

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just ordered a new Dunlop 240 mm tire because at 1300 miles a piece of metal pierced my rear tire. Bike dealers around here won't plug them. I plugged it myself until I get my new tire. My Suzuki dealer is quoting $440 plus mounting & balancing. That sounds high!

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
psmith said:
I just ordered a new Dunlop 240 mm tire because at 1300 miles a piece of metal pierced my rear tire. Bike dealers around here won't plug them. I plugged it myself until I get my new tire. My Suzuki dealer is quoting $440 plus mounting & balancing.  That sounds high!
I hope at that price they are kissing you first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was thinkin it might be a good idea to stick with OEM so I just searched the net high and low for that Dunlop D221 to see what kinda prices are out there, but I couldn't find one. Maybe someone else would have better luck.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zukii said:
I was thinkin it might be a good idea to stick with OEM so I just searched the net high and low for that Dunlop D221 to see what kinda prices are out there, but I couldn't find one. Maybe someone else would have better luck.
Go to directlineparts.com or Hondalineparts.com You'll find your tire!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Directline shows a Dunlop 240 for 139 bucks but it doesn't say if it's the D221

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zukii said:
Directline shows a Dunlop 240 for 139 bucks but it doesn't say if it's the D221
Dunnie makes two tire series which will fit the 109.....the D221 and the Elite 3....both are available in the 240/40-R18. They make a 250/40-R18, Elite 3, which will also fit the rim of the 109. I have one on order from them and expect delivery any day. Suggest you call their toll free #.....they are very knowledgeable and will help you out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts