M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Drilled the guts out of mine same as you did, but got a broom handle and wiggled the core out aswell..
Then welded in spark arrestors. Don't want to start a fire around here..
Much better in my opinion, but do like the look of 666s above... (y)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Two reasons for arrestor.
Over here things can get very dry in some areas, at certain times of the year. Real tinderbox shit.
After removing the baffles, I was concerned about the loose metal shavings that, when they get hot enough to burn, could eject themselves from the exhaust and potentially start a fire.
The second reason is this:
Because the exhaust is a fair bit louder than standard, if I were to get pulled over by the boys in blue and the exhaust was scrutinized, I could point out that I had made the effort to make it safe so to speak. (Also, the bloke involved in helping me on the day does the police bikes too). Brownie points might get me out of a ticket or being defected and sent to an inspection station..

·
Registered
93 Posts
See if you can find the video of the bloke on Youtube removing the guts of it all with a broom stick.. It's pretty much what we did.. I hope it's helpful mate...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tempest - No real problem. Just take time to "work it around" into submission.

Joe - South Australia = Driest state in the driest continent in the driest country on the planet. I live near a place called Clarendon. The surrounding bush near the reservoir caught alight a few years back and I ride through that area all the time. The fire was literally one minute up the road and moving fairly fast. Had two light aircraft and "Elvis" the big orange wonder chopper dropping foam. Dangerous work in tight gullies filled with smoke. The roads near me are littered with leaf material, most of it Blu gum or eucalypt. Both are full of flammable oils and make great fire lighters.
Also look up Ash Wednesday, or fires in Woodside, Pinery, Sampson Flat, Oakbank, Eyre peninsula, the list goes on and I ride, or have ridden these areas in the past. I don't mind the use of arrestors an any vehicle with a modified exhaust..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts