M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are existing GPS threads, but the models have changed, so I am starting a new one.

My Garmin Nuvi 1490 got hosed when running webupdate, and Garmin wants to charge me $120 to exchange it. NOT!

I can get a new Nuvi for the same price or less. Here are some options: Do you have any of these and how do you like it? I am looking for something to be visible in full sun like the 1490, and something that can run routes.

50LM
52LM
2455LMT
2555LMT
2595LMT
2797LMT
3580LMT ("Ultra thin")
Of course the new Zumo 590LM looks to be the cat's meow, but I don't want to spend $700 on a GPS!

Conversely, does anyone else have a 1490 that can copy the entire file system to a CD / DVD and send it to me? I'm pretty sure I can format my 1490LT FAT32 and copy in the whole OS and recover mine.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Seriously, they all have the exact same features and options, you can go with ANY of them and they will all do the exact same things.

The only differences are screen resolution, screen refresh speed, stupid features like "Eco" mode and weather or not it has traffic updates and can play photo's and MP3, and Bluetooth.

Functionality wise they will all navigate the exact same. Personally, I would recommend you go for the most simple one that has the features you need, and if it messes up or gets damaged, no big deal. I do NOT recommend spending any more then $150 on a GPS for the bike. The Zumo is a stupid product for $700, it lacks features compared to even the simplest Nuvi.

Just so you know, I've got a Nuvi 250 that is a model from around 2007, and till today its rock solid as a motorcycle GPS, it has absolutely no functionality other then you can view crappy JPEG images on it. I bought it for nothing back then as a refurbished model and its outlasted many other devices I've had.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the display types differ. I just found specs on my 1490, it's listed as TFT display. Some are listed as WQVGA TFT, others as simply "5" LCD touchscreen display with 480 x 272 resolution." As I said already, my TomTom730 can't be read in direct sunlight or I would be using that one.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Actually, the display types differ. I just found specs on my 1490, it's listed as TFT display. Some are listed as WQVGA TFT, others as simply "5" LCD touchscreen display with 480 x 272 resolution." As I said already, my TomTom730 can't be read in direct sunlight or I would be using that one.
Yes the displays differ just a little bit but the overall functionality of the GPS stays the same. What I can tell you is that the more expensive models have a much smoother interface and are more sensitive to touch, like an iphone screen as you get more expensive. With chunky gloves on that can be a problem!

Some of those displays are higher resolution then others, true, but being viewed from a riders perspective when you can only look at it for a second, it wont make a difference in the long run. I found that the 5" screen is too big to be placed on the handle bars. The 4.3" was much better suited.

My Garmin 250, the oldest one out of the 5 others that we own between family members has the brightest display and can easily be read outside... While a newer model I had was only 50% of the brightness in comparison. Your only best bet would be to purchase and test, there is no way of knowing which one is suitable for best viewing outdoors, since most of these GPS's are meant to be viewed from the cabin of a car its a lot easier to see then. I once called Garmin and asked them if they could specify which units had the best screen for outside visibility and of course they couldn't answer such a question.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. My 1490 has a 5" display and fits on my handlebars fine. I wish I could find another one of these inexpensively as I will have to purchase a new mount for a different model too.

I am thinking now that the TFT display will be what I need for visibility in sunlight. Routes capability is also a must for me, and these two features are narrowing it down a bit as I review the various models.
The traffic feature I found to be simply useless. Bluetooth is not necessary for me, but if it has it perhaps I can link with my cellphone in my car for hands free. The Lane Assist is very useful.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Thanks for your input. My 1490 has a 5" display and fits on my handlebars fine. I wish I could find another one of these inexpensively as I will have to purchase a new mount for a different model too.

I am thinking now that the TFT display will be what I need for visibility in sunlight. Routes capability is also a must for me, and these two features are narrowing it down a bit as I review the various models.
The traffic feature I found to be simply useless. Bluetooth is not necessary for me, but if it has it perhaps I can link with my cellphone in my car for hands free. The Lane Assist is very useful.
I agree, I have the traffic feature on my car GPS and it is never actually helpful... you have to be on a specific route that the traffic happens to be on before it lets you know there is traffic, and usually wont re-route you around it until its too late. Bluetooth features I found on the GPS to be lacking, I don't want to be answering my phone through the GPS. Lane Assist is very nice if it is accurate. I just saw on the Garmin page you can compare up to 4 models., you can see they offer almost identical features... I dont know why they bother having so many variations especially when not every single model is available.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I saw a new Nuvi 1490 on amazon for $169.00. I have purchased 2 nuvi referbs from amazon and have had zero problems with them. one was stolen from my truck. the other I use on my bike.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! Kudos to Garmin. I was able to access the file system via Linux (Windoze said it had to format it...) and there were 32 corrupt folders and 23 corrupt files after trying to use their web updater. I called Tech Support back, and I was once again told that it would cost me $120 to exchange. Next they offered to apply 50% of that toward an upgrade. I replied that since this was a Garmin provided utility that hosed my device, I was not likely to purchase another Garmin.

I was put on hold for a moment, and when the tech returned I was told that they would exchange it for no charge. Great customer service Garmin! This is a two year old refurbished unit. I believe they went above and beyond in order to satisfy me. So, I guess I am no longer in the market for a GPS. :D :bigthumbsup: :clap2: :hot:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
WOW! Kudos to Garmin. I was able to access the file system via Linux (Windoze said it had to format it...) and there were 32 corrupt folders and 23 corrupt files after trying to use their web updater. I called Tech Support back, and I was once again told that it would cost me $120 to exchange. Next they offered to apply 50% of that toward an upgrade. I replied that since this was a Garmin provided utility that hosed my device, I was not likely to purchase another Garmin.

I was put on hold for a moment, and when the tech returned I was told that they would exchange it for no charge. Great customer service Garmin! This is a two year old refurbished unit. I believe they went above and beyond in order to satisfy me. So, I guess I am no longer in the market for a GPS. :D :bigthumbsup: :clap2: :hot:
Thats always great news! Gotta love great customer service. Good job :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Seriously, they all have the exact same features and options, you can go with ANY of them and they will all do the exact same things.

The only differences are screen resolution, screen refresh speed, stupid features like "Eco" mode and weather or not it has traffic updates and can play photo's and MP3, and Bluetooth.

Functionality wise they will all navigate the exact same. Personally, I would recommend you go for the most simple one that has the features you need, and if it messes up or gets damaged, no big deal. I do NOT recommend spending any more then $150 on a GPS for the bike. The Zumo is a stupid product for $700, it lacks features compared to even the simplest Nuvi.

Just so you know, I've got a Nuvi 250 that is a model from around 2007, and till today its rock solid as a motorcycle GPS, it has absolutely no functionality other then you can view crappy JPEG images on it. I bought it for nothing back then as a refurbished model and its outlasted many other devices I've had.
I have had a 550 Zumo since 2006. Has given me no problems and has done everything expected. I have had to call them a couple of times and the service was next to none. Have you used one? I know the technology has caught up but "stupid product"?????

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I have had a 550 Zumo since 2006. Has given me no problems and has done everything expected. I have had to call them a couple of times and the service was next to none. Have you used one? I know the technology has caught up but "stupid product"?????
In fact I have used one, I rented it. For the money, you could buy 5-6 new NUVI models or upgrade to the newest nuvi model every year for what you pay for the premium Zumo. Works with gloves? so does my Nuvi 250. Vibration proof, water resistant ETC... My old 250 still working after going through storms and dust! Also the different mountings are not that great if you want to use the GPS in a car.

At best, the ZUMO should cost the same as a premium Nuvi ---- $200-$250 or so. The latest model costs $700. How can you justify that? It has no special features othen then "Water proof, vibration resistant" and some other marketing mumbo jumbo that makes it seem like its any better then a Nuvi.

Also, I've never had to once call Garmin for any of my Nuvi's, not even my refurbed ones.

It's an overpriced nuvi in a protective shell.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, the new Zumo does have additional features. It connects to the Garmin TPS monitors, it connects to weather via a cellphone connection, it connects to a camera, keeps track of service logs, and there are other unique features as well. I just cannot justify that cost. As far as being waterproof, my 1490 is too when I put a baggie over it!

I suppose if I were touring the US on my bike then it would be worth the premium price. For the way I use it, however, it's not.

Oh, one other correction - they are $800, not $700!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Actually, the new Zumo does have additional features. It connects to the Garmin TPS monitors, it connects to weather via a cellphone connection, it connects to a camera, keeps track of service logs, and there are other unique features as well. I just cannot justify that cost. As far as being waterproof, my 1490 is too when I put a baggie over it!

I suppose if I were touring the US on my bike then it would be worth the premium price. For the way I use it, however, it's not.

Oh, one other correction - they are $800, not $700!! :eek:
Incorrect. You buy the GPS for $800, then you buy the TPS monitors, then you buy the camera... your up to what now, $1000? for a GPS? Come on :confused:

I've always checked weather on my phone, I am positive anyone can do this unless they have a flip phone. What camera do you need on the motorcycle? Most people would opt for a Go-pro so the video is actually enjoyable to watch. Keeping track of service logs is probably a good idea by saving receipts and storing them in a filing cabinet, why risk losing those details if the Zumo gets messed up. The cost is just not worth it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just sent a Nuvi 1450 in to a third party to fix the infamous USB port issue. A little over $40 by the time I get it back. Other than that it served me well. I've never used it on my 9. but it's seen a lot of seat time on my Ninja.

Just an FYI if you ever develop charging issues.

·
Registered
820 Posts
3580LMT

I have the glass screen model 3580 and have had it in the pouring rain with no protection and its not waterproof and its been fine. It was in the rain last year riding home at the MaM where you couldn't see 5 feet and the drops were so big they were changing the screen on me but in that type of rain I would usually park and wait it out.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Bluetooth features I found on the GPS to be lacking, I don't want to be answering my phone through the GPS.
The new bluetooth communicators will allow you to hear the verbal directions from the GPS thru the speakers in your helmet if you have one. That could be good. It keeps you from having to watch the GPS as closely, but bad if you don't like hearing "Recalculating" "Make a u-turn". lol

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The new bluetooth communicators will allow you to hear the verbal directions from the GPS thru the speakers in your helmet if you have one. That could be good. It keeps you from having to watch the GPS as closely, but bad if you don't like hearing "Recalculating" "Make a u-turn". lol
You definitely have a point, and I do have a bluetooth headset from Sena (SMH-10) which I find is an absolutely fantastic product. You can get the same "Spoken street names" feature if you have an android or iphone too. I just tried this out yesterday, I click the button on the back of my ear piece and say "Give me directions to 1829 Main Street". Iphone automatically opens the maps app, plots the course, and starts the navigation with out a single click of a button on the phone. The voice through the navigation maps are really, really much better then the ones on the Garmin. It did all this while, music is playing in the background.. it lowers the volume of the music thats playing, speaks, and then raises the volume automatically. You have to admit thats pretty cool :doorag:also it doesnt yell "RECALCULATING!!" but instead just asks you to take the next street through the phone app.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.