M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you saw months ago you know my bike has been in the shop since January. I STILL dont have it back...

BUT! THere is good news!

I called the place that is working on my bike (Suzuki authorized dealer) and they told me something interesting (and I dont know how valid this is or if they're just blowing smoke up my a$$).

They told me that they tore down my bike and second and third gear were "destroyed" and needed replaced. The could tell that it was banging really hard into second gear just like most 109's do, and the dealer recognises that it's a problem.

They called Suzuki and Suzuki told the dealer that they re-engineered the gears for the whole transmission for the 2011 model, and they did it in a fasion that would allow for backwards compatibility to all previous generations of M109's. It's supposed to fix the banging and hard shifting into 2nd gear as well as false neutral issues the bike is known for.

I dont know the truth behind this story so I am begging to know if this is the new standard for the Warrenty on the M109 and if the 2011 M109R's have this better transmission. Does anyone know anything about this or have any comments on this????

If this is true, I basically have the guts of a brand new 2011 transmission in my 2009 M109R!!! :p I havent gotten my bike back yet but I'll let you know how she rides when I get back on her!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ohh and by the way, there was NOTHING to be said about ANY of the mods on my bike. The dealer explained to me that the manufacturer (Suzuki) cannot claim the defect was due to add on parts unless I replaced something that broke, which I didnt.

Case in point, it is IMPOSIBLE for lowering bones to break a transmission or make it shift hard!!!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ohh and by the way, there was NOTHING to be said about ANY of the mods on my bike. The dealer explained to me that the manufacturer (Suzuki) cannot claim the defect was due to add on parts unless I replaced something that broke, which I didnt.

Case in point, it is IMPOSIBLE for lowering bones to break a transmission or make it shift hard!!!
Absolutely wrong. Suzuki can claim the defect was due to an aftermarket part and deny any claim they want. The dealer meant to tell you that due to the Magnoson-Moss Warranty act that the law will back you up on it when they do deny the claim. The problem is that they play the averages. If there are 100 warranty claims, and they fixed them all, that would cost them on average, $200k. If they deny all 100 and claim abuse or your mods caused it, maybe 10 of that 100 will sue. They would simply settle out of court and pay, and therefore they have saved $70k. Those are just examples but this is common for most manufacturers who try and not pay warranty work.

I had a z28 that had an aftermarket exhaust on it. The rear end went bad and they denied me based on the exhaust. I went to the dealer with a print out of the act, and told them I would file suit against them and GM if it had to be. They covered it under warranty but made me sign a piece of paper stating that they would never cover it again as the exhaust could be the reason.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Absolutely wrong. Suzuki can claim the defect was due to an aftermarket part and deny any claim they want. The dealer meant to tell you that due to the Magnoson-Moss Warranty act that the law will back you up on it when they do deny the claim. The problem is that they play the averages. If there are 100 warranty claims, and they fixed them all, that would cost them on average, $200k. If they deny all 100 and claim abuse or your mods caused it, maybe 10 of that 100 will sue. They would simply settle out of court and pay, and therefore they have saved $70k. Those are just examples but this is common for most manufacturers who try and not pay warranty work.

I had a z28 that had an aftermarket exhaust on it. The rear end went bad and they denied me based on the exhaust. I went to the dealer with a print out of the act, and told them I would file suit against them and GM if it had to be. They covered it under warranty but made me sign a piece of paper stating that they would never cover it again as the exhaust could be the reason.
:agree:100% on the money. I posted this a couple of mins ago on another thread. Harris has been here for sometime too so, he knows what I am saying about this endless BS with Suzuki.

Bottom line we all know it's a major issue but the number of failures does not support it so, Suzuki will never issue a recall and will in fact continue to handle this and any other problems on a case by case basis. It sucks but it's the truth. They have the deep pockets and time to make sure their current practice stays the way it is. In 5 plus years on this board there have been countless lawsuits, media coverage and claims. In the end they all went nowhere. If you fight Suzuki hard enough and have all your facts up to snuff, they will pay after some unwarranted BS they will put you through. There have been threads here that went 100's of pages long in an attempt to mount a full scale attack on Suzuki, they also went nowhere. In todays world who really has the time it would take to really attack this issue, Suzuki knows that all to well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I have a 2011 that I have just put 300 miles on. Have never riden a earlier 9 but have the 2009 M90 with 7300 miles. The first thing I noticed (besides the awsome torq) was how much better the trans was than my M90. I never had real issues with the 90 it just seemed like a big improvement.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just turned 20,000 on my 07. Sometimes clutch shudders on take off. I hate it. If they have improved the 2011 and fixed whatever causes the shudder then I might upgrade. I don't want a Gold Wing but I don't like having to take off slow to avoid the ugly shudder/jerk I sometimes am getting now. If anyone else hears about a factory improvement please let us know. I love my bike but I didn't buy it to baby it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
All the other stuff aside, I would really like to know if they have redesigned the trans parts!?

Sounds like either the dealer is just puffing or they really have attempted to improve the transmission

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.