M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys, so I am new to this thread and just bought a 2011 M109r anniversary edition. She rode good for the test ride and once I had been on the rode from about 45 minutes and stopped to get a drink, the bike would not start back up. I had the clutch pulled in all the way, lights and fuel pump would engage but no crank. I had to pull up the kickstand and for some reason the only way it would start was if I hold the gear peddle down while engaging the clutch, only then would it fire up. I can then put in neutral and put down the kickstand. Any thoughts? I just bought this bile with 13k miles and paid $6300. Please help, I just bought this bike and am pulling my hair out.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Is your neutral light on or it's showing it's in neutral on the gear indicator? If the kill switch is on run, kickstand is up,clutch is pulled and it's in neutral, it should start.

The two times mine has done that, once was the kickstand switch wasn't making contact, and the other time the clutch switch wasn't making contact. I fixed the kickstand switch temporarily by adding a piece of plastic tubing over the kickstand nub so it would depress the switch further, and later replaced the switch. The clutch switch is under the clutch lever, mine had gotten grimy and wasn't making good contact. It wouild start if I had the starter button in and just slightly let the clutch out. I disassembled and cleaned the contacts in the switch and later replaced it with a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your neutral light on or it's showing it's in neutral on the gear indicator? If the kill switch is on run, kickstand is up,clutch is pulled and it's in neutral, it should start.

The two times mine has done that, once was the kickstand switch wasn't making contact, and the other time the clutch switch wasn't making contact. I fixed the kickstand switch temporarily by adding a piece of plastic tubing over the kickstand nub so it would depress the switch further, and later replaced the switch. The clutch switch is under the clutch lever, mine had gotten grimy and wasn't making good contact. It wouild start if I had the starter button in and just slightly let the clutch out. I disassembled and cleaned the contacts in the switch and later replaced it with a new one.
I thought about the clutch switch too. I plan on checking the switch to see if it is bad and ordering a new one. By chance, could you provide the link you purchased the switch from? I tried looking online and had no luck. There is no Suzuki dealer in Az. All authorized dealers but most of them dont have the switch. I greatly appreciate your help!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
If the clutch switch was not operational the bike would not start in any gear.
There must be an output from the clutch switch before the starter relay coil can be energized.
By your description I would think the issue is more gear position switch related, or you did not actually have the bike in neutral.

BCS
LGB/FJB

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
I bought the clutch switch off a seller on Ebay. I think that was where I got the kickstand switch too.

To go with what BCS said, that was why I was asking if the bike showed being in neutral when you actually have it in neutral. If you need to move the shift lever to get it start, something is not allowing the system to show the bike is in neutral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thank you again Zoom! I already purchased the clutch switch and am going to buy the gear position switch next. It actually stopped doing it this morning and has been firing up like it should. Still going to replace the switches to avoid anything else being damaged. I appreciate all your help!

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Awesome, thank you again Zoom! I already purchased the clutch switch and am going to buy the gear position switch next. It actually stopped doing it this morning and has been firing up like it should. Still going to replace the switches to avoid anything else being damaged. I appreciate all your help!
Have you cleaned the gear position sensor? (Seventh document in the list)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts