M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 M109 with lots of mods. The mod I really want to do but haven't yet, is the tach relocation mod. I know there's been much talk and instruction on how to do this but after looking at a new M109 in a show room, I started to wonder if the inner cowling plastic pieces could be purchased and used on an older model to relocate the tach like it looks on the new M109's. The chrome bezel looks a little different but the shape is pretty much identical. Has anyone out there tried this or know of anyone who has? Can it be done? Your feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 M109 with lots of mods. The mod I really want to do but haven't yet, is the tach relocation mod. I know there's been much talk and instruction on how to do this but after looking at a new M109 in a show room, I started to wonder if the inner cowling plastic pieces could be purchased and used on an older model to relocate the tach like it looks on the new M109's. The chrome bezel looks a little different but the shape is pretty much identical. Has anyone out there tried this or know of anyone who has? Can it be done? Your feedback is much appreciated.
I have alot of the stuff you need the crome piece i rubber dipped and it will come off i have one of the steel cages that go in side 2 plastic pieces that go inside plus this stuff. all reasonable make an offer it is expensive to get it all but this will help out alot and cheap. you will need a few things but this is the majority and cheap you will need some paint.
look it up in the parts whare house. make an offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

if you want the stuff i will box it up and send it to you and then you can pay me what you want for the stuff. like i said the stuff is expensive but what i have will really help you out.and on a honor system if you want thanks
trying to help you out if you are going to do it
moon
I appreciate the offer, however, I'm not looking to replace the whole unit, just wondering if the inner plastic cowling on the new M109's will fit the older models. They are relatively cheap to buy but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly to the outer headlight cowling and also accept the tach from from the older model. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I appreciate the offer, however, I'm not looking to replace the whole unit, just wondering if the inner plastic cowling on the new M109's will fit the older models. They are relatively cheap to buy but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly to the outer headlight cowling and also accept the tach from from the older model. Thanks.
no 2011 and up tach to fit inside and bolt up. older is too big and way off the bolt pattern.to fit.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The actual shape of the headlight nacel is different. The new ones are shaped like the rear fender cowl and the older ones are smooth.I have a brand new black plastic piece that goes around the tach on the newer models, it is not even close to the shape of the old style nacel.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The actual shape of the headlight nacel is different. The new ones are shaped like the rear fender cowl and the older ones are smooth.I have a brand new black plastic piece that goes around the tach on the newer models, it is not even close to the shape of the old style nacel.
I have wondered about this myself, even though it is "not even close" is it over sized enough to be sanded or cut to shape and fit?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have wondered about this myself, even though it is "not even close" is it over sized enough to be sanded or cut to shape and fit?
The newer style is not even close to the same shape of the older style. The mounting is totally different too. I tried to think of every way possible to make it work but it would not be worth the time and energy spent on it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I looked into this when I first thought of doing my tach relocate and looked into buying the two metal pieces on the inside and the plastic back cover. Before I figured out if it would fit I saw the price. It would cost about $600 as the two metal cage bits are over $250 each.
Ended up doing my own with the help of Andy33 and it cost me about $5 in tidbits to make sure no light comes though. Unless you look closely and know what you are looking for you wouldn't know it wasn't factory.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I looked into this when I first thought of doing my tach relocate and looked into buying the two metal pieces on the inside and the plastic back cover. Before I figured out if it would fit I saw the price. It would cost about $600 as the two metal cage bits are over $250 each.
Ended up doing my own with the help of Andy33 and it cost me about $5 in tidbits to make sure no light comes though. Unless you look closely and know what you are looking for you wouldn't know it wasn't factory.
i have 1 of the steel cages somebody can have i got most of stuff if somebody wants the stuff for shipping i dont need it some bodys welcome to it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I now know it won't work so will go back to my original plan of relocating the tach the way so many others have done it in the past.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow!

If you're going to have a go at doing it yourself check out this "How to"
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149830
Did this myself and it looks factory and I get comments from other '9ers saying so.
That is extremely helpful and I will definitely use this as the mod to move my tach. You're absolutely correct when you said it looks factory! Thanks for the advise and link to the pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.