M109 Riders banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hello again,
I have purchased all the clutch plates and springs etc for the 2011 to replace the crappy 2008 ones.. https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297921&p=3405481&viewfull=1#post3405481 What's the best video for the "how to" - yes I'm mildly mechanically inclined..

TIA
I've wondered about a 'how to' process/video myself as I have pondered replacing the clutch on my '07 for a few years. Another question I have is that if the clutch is replaced is the 'pin mod' still something that needs to be done ?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The question is still .... if I replace the clutch, do I need to do the 'pin mod' (meaning to grind 3 flat surfaces on the clutch push pin) ??
In my previous post, I was trying to help OP.

As to your question, I just did a quick search
here, and instantly got to this thread:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345820

IMHO,
the guru of this site "futurR" answered your
question in it. It is up to you, if you believe his
expertise. I do.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The question is still .... if I replace the clutch, do I need to do the 'pin mod' (meaning to grind 3 flat surfaces on the clutch push pin) ??
The question would be, did you have clutch shudder before doing the clutch upgrade? If you did then yes. I have an 07 and replaced my clutch a while back (didn't upgrade it). I didn't have shudder issues but chose to grind down 2 sides versus 3.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just do the pin mod. As long as you don't take off too much material there is no down side to it. The benefit will be your new clutch plates should last longer as they are getting more oil.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
In my 2007 '9 I had clutch shudder soon after I purchased it with 6K miles and I had the push-pin grinded. The shudder disappeared, next this year I replaced the clutch with a 2019 MY's clutch kit.

It's worth to mention that the press effort at the clutch lever is smaller now thanks to the different clutch springs, but the clutch slipped under heavy acceleration.
So I adjusted the slave cylinder position of my hydro clutch, so that the extension rod of the slave cylinder could raise up a little more when the clutch lever is released. No more slippage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The question would be, did you have clutch shudder before doing the clutch upgrade? If you did then yes. I have an 07 and replaced my clutch a while back (didn't upgrade it). I didn't have shudder issues but chose to grind down 2 sides versus 3.
I do have shudder when the bike is cold ... only then. Other than that I do not have any clutch issues and look at replacing my old clutch with new plates a want versus a need.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I do have shudder when the bike is cold ... only then. Other than that I do not have any clutch issues and look at replacing my old clutch with new plates a want versus a need.
Nope, the only time i ever had clutch shudder is when I swapped out my clutch springs to MTC springs years ago. I went back to stock springs and havent had a prob since.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts