M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already installed a stebel horn on my 9...But i like this horn so much,,that i want to install 2 of them in my 01 Mustang..And i wanna use the regular steering wheel horn..But i am worried if the stock wiring and relay can handle the draw of 2 stebel horns??..I was just going to split the stock trigger wire from the car to the 2 stebel horns..Do that sound good or what??

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
PM rynosback he might have one more harness to run 2 stebels. And if he doesn't he might be able to email you a schematic to do it yourself.

Edit: didn't notice until I read this the second time that you wanted to put 2 on your Mustang and not your 109. Maybe the schematic from Ryan could still help you out.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
PM rynosback he might have one more harness to run 2 stebels.
:agree: he used to make the harness for the double stebel setup on the 9 but i believe he mentioned that he was going to stop because it was a bunch of work. even if he can't provide you with a harness, i am sure that he can lead you in the right direction of walking you through the install on your 'stang. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Just get these, I have them on my Sabre. Plenty loud. They are basically car horns. Install them in place of your stock horns. Nothing extra will be needed.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
that should work all that you would have to do is separate the circuit and run relays and you should be good to go sir.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those just might work..But it says that they come with a 30amp relay...And i'm trying to get out of having to wire up any relays and use the cars stock steering wheel horn and relay instead...But if i have to run another relay to allow me to install "4" of those horns then it will be worth it!!!:evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
for that, I would use a relay, the horn comes with a junk 30 amp relay, but a 40 amp relay would be better. I seen where the horn button on the steering wheel "welded" together causing the horn to stay on. The start up of the compressor uses alot of amps. more then the switch can handle.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Those just might work..But it says that they come with a 30amp relay...And i'm trying to get out of having to wire up any relays and use the cars stock steering wheel horn and relay instead...But if i have to run another relay to allow me to install "4" of those horns then it will be worth it!!!:evil::evil::evil:
I think 4 is way over kill. WHY?? You can retain the stock horn button and relay, just subsititue the horns. Seems pretty simple. If you're set on 2 sets, then you'll have to do extra wiring. It's your world man, enjoy!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think 4 is way over kill. WHY?? You can retain the stock horn button and relay, just subsititue the horns. Seems pretty simple. If you're set on 2 sets, then you'll have to do extra wiring. It's your world man, enjoy!!
OVER KILL,,YES!!YES!!YES!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Do not even think about doing 2 Stebles without relays!

Your stock wire was set up to run on a 25A fuse (If I recall correctly)

Each Steble runs on a 30A fuse, so running 2, you are looking at a peak draw of 60A.

You will be blowing fuses every time you use it and risk frying the stock wire.

You can use the stock wire to run 2 relays with power coming straight from the battery.

I have this setup in my Hummer. Not Stebles, but 2 aftermarket air horns that also draw 30A.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have already installed a stebel horn on my 9...But i like this horn so much,,that i want to install 2 of them in my 01 Mustang..And i wanna use the regular steering wheel horn..But i am worried if the stock wiring and relay can handle the draw of 2 stebel horns??..I was just going to split the stock trigger wire from the car to the 2 stebel horns..Do that sound good or what??
I think you should ask yourself why you want two of them and then consider that two of them will sound the same as one .... it won't be twice as loud and if they are under the hood you won't be able to direct them like speakers ...

I would go with a different system if you want more than the little stebel can provide .... bigger horns with a bigger air compressor.

Maybe hook up one stebel to the factory connection using the relay if needed and have a separate " F U " button on your dash when you really want to tell someone what you think of them ....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe hook up one stebel to the factory connection using the relay if needed and have a separate " F U " button on your dash when you really want to tell someone what you think of them ....
I did that in my truck..It's just that,,,when i needed to hit the "FU" button..It was needed right away..No real time to reach for it when needed..

Maybe i"ll do the same thing..But mount a button on the steering column this time..
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I replaced one of my stock horns on my yukon with the stebel horn. The only thing I did was cut off the stock plug and put new ones on that fit the new horn. It works fine, no relay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts