M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I got a 2" risers from another member here that had it installed on his bike (2007). He did not have to change any cables but had to do the following:
-Bent the bracket upright behind the headlight that holds the brake line.
-Re-route the clutch cable to give a little more room.
Mine is a 2008 and I do not have any play on the throttle cable.
My clutch cable is fine so is my brake line with a higher bracket that I made.
Does anyone here have 2" risers installed without changing the cables? If so, how did you guys do?
Help anyone?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
although the stock cables WILL work, you might as well go ahead and order the 3+. you won't be happy with the stock cables for long.

·
Registered
735 Posts
HM109 I just installed risers last week and all the cable were to short. I rerouted the cables and still to short and the throttle was stuck wide open when the bars were turned to the right. Alot of people on here have 2in risers with stock cable and they work fine. I just bit the bullet and bought the 3 new cables (clutch, throttle push and pull). Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is going to be a winter mod for me.Does anyone have part #s for the three cables.I am going stainless.Thanks DavidB

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HM109 I just installed risers last week and all the cable were to short. I rerouted the cables and still to short and the throttle was stuck wide open when the bars were turned to the right. Alot of people on here have 2in risers with stock cable and they work fine. I just bit the bullet and bought the 3 new cables (clutch, throttle push and pull). Good luck keep us posted.
Where did you buy your cables and how much?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have the 1 inch risers on mine and if I turn the handlebars all the way to the right the throttle gets stuck I couldnt see how I could do the 2 inch with out new cables.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did the 2" and have no trouble at all with any cables. ??? zipped tied & tucked all nice & tight to the risers.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
I had the 2" risers with stock cables/hoses on mine for a couple months. I went to the +3" cables because the rerouted cables hit the speedometer housing at full lock.

You can just remove the bolt on the bracket for the brake hoses and let the bracket float. The original instructions said to do that.

The throttle and clutch cables have to be routed behind the risers then through them. It actually looks pretty good that way with all the cables and such behind the risers. And some have said if you do a good job of zip tieing them you can keep them from rubbing on the speedometer housing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all comments! I'm going to price them at DLP before monkeying around with the stock cables. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for all comments! I'm going to price them at DLP before monkeying around with the stock cables. :bigthumbsup:
It's not that hard really. Its not monkeying around, it easier that running new cables. I did the whole thing in 15 mins by myself, risers and all.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the 1 inch risers on mine and if I turn the handlebars all the way to the right the throttle gets stuck I couldnt see how I could do the 2 inch with out new cables.
You didn't reroute the cables? Did mine in the 2" riser and cables rerouted, works fine.;)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Just reroute for 2 inch risers
no need to remove triple tree
undo start button housing and pull throttle off
the handlebars , reroute throttle under triple tree
with throttle attached to cables ,
just slide back on handlebars
If i remember well my handlebars were not
tightened in risers yet when I did that .
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just reroute for 2 inch risers
no need to remove triple tree
undo start button housing and pull throttle off
the handlebars , reroute throttle under triple tree
with throttle attached to cables ,
just slide back on handlebars
If i remember well my handlebars were not
tightened in risers yet when I did that .
Good Luck.
Good tip!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed the 2" risers a couple of years ago. I did reroute the cables per the instructions, and have never had any problems with the stock length cables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts