M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
So here goes...back some time ago Big Joe posted the completion of his riser extention sets. I contacted him, probably before he even had a chance to log off and told him I'd like a set, which I had within 4 days of placing the order. 1st for those of you that haven't had the pleasure of doing business with them ... KEWLMETAL ROCKS!!! :bigthumbsup: i ordered the 2" riser extentions because of my riding style I like to have some bend in my arms...and at 5' 8" 145 Lbs I felt stretched on the 9. Adding to that, a ride for me usually is about 300 miles a trip, usually close to 600 miles a weekend and after 100 miles or so my arms and back were giving me fits in the stock configuration.

BIG JOE to the rescue! The fit and finish of these extentions is great, they paid a lot of detail in making a great product. The only drawback was that at that time, there were no instructions for installing them. I knew from conversations with Big Joe that they would work with the stock cables..but I didn't have a clue as to how to get a proper installation done. SOOOOOOO...I called him again...uh..and again...and uh...again  ;). After explaining what needed to be done...and telling me that there would be something posted by the weekend (right  :confused:) I decided to go at it on my own, (with the help of a friend that's a wrench). I really wanted to get done before our next weekend ride (300 miles).

Relocation of the cables to the rear of the upper triple trees was an experience...OK I'm not a wrench, and I did most of everything myself with a wrench at hand to keep me sane. Putting on the extentions was a breeze and they look great...(I'll post pics after work...no...really) :eek: The difference these have made on this bike is awesome! For the first time on a trip I not only enjoyed the ride...but I did so virtually pain free, I wasn't sore or aching the next day...and my hands didn't go to sleep. Because of the new postion it was also way easier to flip (as far as you can flip) the beast through some twisty back mountain roads, and the sweepers were even more fun to lean into...they really mead me feel more in control of the bike.

One observation, if you have a windshield (I have a Shooter installed) you may end up needing to readjust it's position. I'm catchin some extra wind (under the shield) because it has changed, the bars are now closer to me...so it may have to be lowered. Other than that... all I can say is THANKS BIG JOE and KewlMetal! The product, in my opinion is fantastic...and everyone I talked to was very helpful and friendly and Big Joe is well...Big Joe...anyone who's talked with him can't help but like him...Thanks again

Devilish

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2" risers are still in the box in my garage. Why don't you give us a quick review of what you had to do to relocate the clutch and thrittle cables.....Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I'd get this..lol,
I had new Kury iSO grips I was installing as well...so I just removed the housing while I had it apart anyway. One of the screws (the shortest of the two) decided it didn't want to play and I ended up watching as the "wrench" ground the head off before the housing could come off...so be careful with that! You'll have to take the headlight cowl off...unplug the light and set it aside on something soft, then work the throttle cable AND break fluid resevoir to the rear of the upper triple tree. You do NOT have to open the reservior or do anything that would cause you to have to bleed the breaks!

Once you have that side done, (behind the upper triple tree), leave it hang and go to the other side. The cluch side was a bit easier, the cable will feed through but its a tricky lil thing. Release the tension on the cable (there is a rubber cover over the connector near the handle), once that's loose the cable can be threaded through, but you may need a second set of hands...I did. let that one hang.

The bars are the easiest! Carefully remove the covers over the bolts...(they're expensive to replace), thankfully they're also pretty sturdy. Set those aside and remove the 4 bolts...then remove the bar. Note the little dots at the top of the retainer..those need to go back in the same direction. Slide your extentions in place...set you bars back on and adjust them. (Another place where two set of hands is a good thing). I rotated my bar 1" up, be sure you get them centered or you'll be taking them off again after your first ride.

Put everything back together (bar assy)...and tighten down to 16.5 lb torque, then re hook your cluch and other stuff...and you're set to go. I didn't take off the mirrors...so I had to readjust those...with two people it's not a bad mod...but alone I think it could be a bit trying.

What I just wrote is how I did it, remember that I'm not a wrench....and was flying blind, except for the information I got from Big Joe, telling me I didn't have to change hoses, or cables.
If you want to go from this discription...have at it...or you can call Big Joe. (I did) :bigthumbsup:

Devilish

·
Registered
592 Posts
The install VIEDO is complete and should be on our support link on our site tomorrow.
I think you will have no trouble doing the install once you see it.
Sorry for the delay but my first Grand child was born last week :bigthumbsup: and my Business Partners Mother just went through and 8 hour open heart surgery the day before, we are praying that she starts getting better soon as it is still touch and go.

Here is the Bike I did the install on and I also did the Fat Fork Tube Install VIEDO :bigthumbsup:

Big Joe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts