M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Newbie around here and to the M109 klan in general. Also don't know that much mechanical/technical crap. What I'm thinking about is putting 2 into 1 replacement pipes on my new M109 in order to have more room for decent sized saddlebags. What I don't know is the impact of 2 into 1 vs 2:2 pipes. Any help appreciated. Here is a picture of the pipes at the top of my list so far:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have not heard them in person but i have heard they are super loud. Some say too loud. :dontknow:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree those are pretty pipes, but was informed they are loud and get real hot, really only for show. Look at some of the thread for JR pipes or JR track pack, these are being made by some of the guys in this forum. There are also several models of Cobra pipes out, the bike seems to be to new for a large selection at this time. 8)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so maybe I'm confusing my question by posting those specific pipes as an example. I do like the curvy shape but thats really not my point in bringing up the topic. What I'm trying to ask is there any inherent downside to running a 2:1 instead of a 2:2 setup?

·
Registered
443 Posts
gm2inco said:
Hey folks,

Newbie around here and to the M109 klan in general. Also don't know that much mechanical/technical crap. What I'm thinking about is putting 2 into 1 replacement pipes on my new M109 in order to have more room for decent sized saddlebags. What I don't know is the impact of 2 into 1 vs 2:2 pipes. Any help appreciated. Here is a picture of the pipes at the top of my list so far:

The stock pipes are a 2 into 1 into 2 design. The pipes you see in the photo are single wall pipes and will blue right away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
veezer said:
The stock pipes are a 2 into 1 into 2 design. The pipes you see in the photo are single wall pipes and will blue right away.
So the stock pipes are collected and then split again?

On the bluing issue: I'm 51 so I remember when a ridden bike's pipes were SUPPOSED to look like that. Bluing by itself is not a turn off. /wink

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ITguy said:
2to1 will generally create more power. As mentioned stock pipes are 2to1to2.
OK so... If my main objective is more room for bags and the existing pipe setup is already 2:1:2 then all I really need is a bolt on muffler that takes off from the OEM collector, right? Is there such a thing currently available?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hey Bro,
You really need to look at the JR track pack post on the forum, there is more to do than just pull a bolt off and putting a new muffler on!!! REALLY, look at the post on the track pack and look at the pics of the mod. I think this is the look and funtionality that you are looking for.....if you PM JR he will send you an e-mail on how to do it yourself or you can purchase it from him when available :bigthumbsup:

READ THE POST ;)

Don

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey, gm2inco
A fellow Coloradan here (Aurora) :2cool:

Cobra is the only mass-produced pipes that are actually on the market right now - besides the ones you mentioned in your first post. All the others keep pushing back the release dates on their pipes. So, for now, it's either Cobra or a one-off mod done yourself or by a local shop. A few of the Florida members have been working on a 2 into 1 (there's a pic of it in an earlier post^^^^).

So the stock pipes are collected and then split again?

Yes. There is a valve called a "S.E.T. Valve" that adjusts backpressure before the exhaust is split back in two. Here's a portion of an article about the M that talks about the SET valve:
The two-into-one-into-two stainless-steel exhaust system features a catalytic converter as well as a butterfly valve to adjust back pressure to match the engine's mode. Suzuki's acronym is SET (Suzuki Exhaust Timing), and it provides more back pressure to improve torque at low rpm, opening as rpm increase. Suzuki says this helps provide strong low-rpm torque even though the M109R design favors mid-range and high-rpm power.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Exhaust systems are alot more complicated than that. Scavenging is very important in a street system. Drag pipes are so named because they were originally designed for the drag strip where the engine is just whacked open and held there. They are lousy for low and mid range throttle positions. 2 into 1's balance the exhaust pulses much better and aid in back pressure that is very important for low and mid range running. That is where most street riding occurs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
Looks good but wouldn't such a setup blow hot right into the saddlebag?

Not unless you have some special extra long bags ,mine were standard ones and fit even over the exhaust as it came from the factory but now have alot more room! Also they have alot more power at the rear wheel to pull them around! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Okay Perry, I have to admit the picture of your daughter leaning against the garage wall is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. I love it! That is one girl with attitude!!

Hang in there Papa PP.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Scott over at V&H said we probably will not see anything from them till spring '07 or you can go the JR design team

·
Registered
514 Posts
With any new exhaust, you need to plan on installing a pc3........ a TFI/Cobra (same thing) is not going to cut it.... esp if you cahnge the air filter or intake flow path.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ya' need to take into account your elevation also. I live at 4600 feet above sea level and the air is not as fat as it is near sea level. The bike will run a bit fatter up here. Still needs attention, but not as much as at a lower elevation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts