M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started looking into the performance differences between 2 into 1 pipes vs 2 into 2. I'd love to hear what some of you have to say on this topic.

I personally have a pair of Cobra Speedster Slash with K&Ns, Cobra FI2000r and Len's covers. I have also lowered the back by 2". Periodically the pipes scrap on right turns. I am thinking about getting other pipes.

Let the opinions fly !!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The only thing I can offer is that I prefer the look of 2-1 rather than 2-2, so thats why I went with the Sideburners.

G

·
I have just started looking into the performance differences between 2 into 1 pipes vs 2 into 2. I'd love to hear what some of you have to say on this topic.

I personally have a pair of Cobra Speedster Slash with K&Ns, Cobra FI2000r and Len's covers. I have also lowered the back by 2". Periodically the pipes scrap on right turns. I am thinking about getting other pipes.

Let the opinions fly !!!
Quite simply 2 into 1 should give you more low end torque, 2 into 2 will give better flow and top end hit (HP) in my experience, with slight loss of torque.

It's the opposite on a four cylinder sportbike, where 4 into 1 gives better flow and top end hit, vs. 4 into 2 into 1 which is better for torque, more flow restriction.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quite simply 2 into 1 should give you more low end torque, 2 into 2 will give better flow and top end hit (HP) in my experience, with slight loss of torque.

It's the opposite on a four cylinder sportbike, where 4 into 1 gives better flow and top end hit, vs. 4 into 2 into 1 which is better for torque, more flow restriction.
I agree however pipe ID size comes into play also ...

larger pipe sizes tend to have slower flow and have less scavenging affect ... another reason for stepped pipes or pipes with ID's tuned to engine type or size .

You could have a two into one system that flows better than a 2 into 2 system .... it just needs to be built correctly ....

At the end of the day I would put a pipe on there that you like the looks and sound of .... I say that because I know my 2 into 1 pipe outflows most aftermarket 2 into 2 pipes however after I have to make it quite enough to ride on the street it doesn't flow allot better than the factory pipes .... You have to compromise flow for decibels or you can have both however you then have to comprise size .... I am sure a muffler on a semi will flow very well on a 9 and keep it quite however you will need a trailer to haul the thing behind you .

I know special made pipes like the one from RAW are two into one and outflow most pipes out there from zero to redline .... however that pipe was made after ALLOT of dyno work and made special for the bike.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have both kinds of pipes. I have the V&H Bigshots and a Raw Performance pipe. And in my opinion, get whatever pipes you like the looks of.

The difference between and 2 into 2 pipe and a 2 into 1 pipe is a few hp and a few lb-ft of torque. Completly irrelevant.

If you could gain 20 hp, then this will be a good conversation to have. Since you dont have those gains, get what you like and what you want.

This statement is the amature opinion of irish4life. It is entitled for opinionated information purposes only. Amature opinions are not subject to debate. If you disagree with Irish4life's amature opinion, please refer to page 896 of you service manual, paragraph 3 subsection 2.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I just put the 2-into-1 Cobra Tri-Pro on my bike, only because I prefer the look of a 2-into-1 over a 2-into-2. And I waited four years for someone to make a 2-into-1 that I liked, that is upswept rather than flat, and is quiet versus ear-splitting. The pipe had some effect on power, due to the elimination of the SET valve and catalytic converter. But seat of the pants tells me it ain't much, not that I really care. I wanted a bit more sound, some weight loss, and the looks. I got what I wanted, it was worth four years waiting. Bought the bike in August 2006, got the pipe in August 2010.

The topic opener stated his pipes dragging on r/h turns due to being lowered. The Cobra Tri-Pro is mounted about two inches higher than the stockers up near the engine side cover, where they normally drag. Also the single muffler is higher than the bottom muffler on the stockers. I think this would be a good pipe for that condition.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with what Cbxer55 is saying, but I just wish the tri pro was LOUD! I mean, c'mon, its a cobra! They need to make two versions... the one for older guys and the one for us young guns! :a20::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Also, many of the pipes that look like 2 into 2 pipes are actually 2 into 1 because they have a crossover pipe that connects the two. For example, V&H Big Shots and Cobra Swepts have these crossover pipes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I agree with what Cbxer55 is saying, but I just wish the tri pro was LOUD! I mean, c'mon, its a cobra! They need to make two versions... the one for older guys and the one for us young guns! :a20::bigthumbsup:
:agree: Yeah. The young guns need the quieter pipes.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I believe some have drilled out the front plate in the baffle to get more sound. To each their own, personally I really like the sound of the Tri-Pro as it is delivered. Its deep and throaty without being an ear-blaster. And yet cruising down the highway, it will not wear you out due to being loud.

I think Cobra struck a perfect balance with this pipe.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
what u want

I'd say the number one thing to shoot for would be the sound it makes.. second to that might be the look..

I can tell you that buying a pipe just for the way it looks can leave you frustrated and partially deaf.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The difference between and 2 into 2 pipe and a 2 into 1 pipe is a few hp and a few lb-ft of torque. Completly irrelevant.

If you could gain 20 hp, then this will be a good conversation to have. Since you dont have those gains, get what you like and what you want.
I completely agree with this statement. I started to get caught up in the
hp gain (mentally of coarse because I'm not rich) and watching my father
try to pull every little bit of hp out of his bike and not being any happier with
it. Go with what you like the sound and looks of, you'll be much more happy
in the long run.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I'd say the number one thing to shoot for would be the sound it makes.. second to that might be the look..

I can tell you that buying a pipe just for the way it looks can leave you frustrated and partially deaf.
Yeah I am deaf in the right ear due to years of Loud pipe abuse. The new Cobra 2-into-1 will not cause this, it is mellow and deep. It is just the sound and appearance I was looking for.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Let the opinions fly !!!
I cut my Cobra Speedster Slash pipes down about 14 inches. Look and sound wicked!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
2 into 2

I'm running a Supertrapp 2 into 2 with some 2 inch headers I made, and it dynoed at 117.8 hp and 104.5 torque. So I was pretty happy with that. All you can expect is around 120 hp from any exhaust on this bike.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I'm running a Supertrapp 2 into 2 with some 2 inch headers I made, and it dynoed at 117.8 hp and 104.5 torque. So I was pretty happy with that. All you can expect is around 120 hp from any exhaust on this bike.
I would like to see some pics of that set-up, bro.

:agree: 120 HP is about all a person will get out of this bike without motor mods and/or nitrous. Isn't that enough anyway? :dontknow::D

For ME, you can't beat the look of 2 into 2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
2 into 2

Have to wait for the pictures. My bike is minus tank (being painted) Minus handlebars ( have made some stainless bars waiting for chrome) and is also minus headlight. Installing a Harley(did I say that) twin headlight. Will look cool with the new bars.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Installing a Harley(did I say that) twin headlight. Will look cool with the new bars.
Not to worry bro, knowing hardley they had some Japanese company make it, so it will be right at home on your bike!8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts