M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-

Just checking with you experts, as I am still trying to get used to my conversion from the Busa and GSXRs to my new M90. I read in one review that they thought the trans was a bit clunky from 1st to 2nd. I agree completely. Every time I shift (Unless I am going extremely slow) it seems to "rattle" into 2nd. I haven't torn anything apart yet to check it, but was wandering if any of you had a similar issue? I don't believe it's hurting anything, but it is annoying me quite a bit.

Just thought I'd ask.

Red

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys-

Just checking with you experts, as I am still trying to get used to my conversion from the Busa and GSXRs to my new M90. I read in one review that they thought the trans was a bit clunky from 1st to 2nd. I agree completely. Every time I shift (Unless I am going extremely slow) it seems to "rattle" into 2nd. I haven't torn anything apart yet to check it, but was wandering if any of you had a similar issue? I don't believe it's hurting anything, but it is annoying me quite a bit.

Just thought I'd ask.

Red
You'll get used to it, i read one post which describes it accurately as ggrrrslap, and thats exactly wat it sounds like.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yup. Normal. I had that with my m90, and the same thing with my 9. What I ended up doing is "preloading" the shifter after taking off from a light by applying a small amount of pressure to the shifter upwards like I will shift into second, and when I'm ready just pull the clutch and slip it in. It almost never clunks this way. I got this tip here on the forums.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ggrrrslap. That is the EXACTLY the noise it makes! I appreciate the responses. I am relieved to hear that it is normal, and I am sure I will have to live with it. The 9 makes the same noise,huh? That was going to be my excuse for trading it in :dontknow: for an SE.
I guess I will have to come up with another plan.

Thanks guys-

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found, that, when shifting to 2nd, I can almost always get a quiet and smooth shift by pulling in the clutch, shifting gently to neutral, waiting briefly, then snick 'er through to 2nd. Works good almost every time! ;) 'course if you are in a hurry... forget it...!

On the other hand, I have yet to find a successful technique for the shift to 3rd! :mad: It's a "clunk" every time....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Suzuki shift

I had an S83 that I tried to trade into a Honda VX1800. They would not take it b/c of that same shift-noise; actually they just said that they would need a new transmission, so the deal fell apart. I tried to convince them that all Suzuki bikes that I have ridden were like that.

I ended up back at the Suzuki dealer and traded into the M90 - glad I did that anyway. Ya, my M90 does exactly the same thing, and I've gotten over the worry that this is somehow a problem.

That VX1800 was pretty cool too, but seemed too complicated and not very maneuverable. I suspect the M109 may also be more of a straight-road kind of bike too. A year+ into the M90, and I still love it; I can't believe that you can actually make something so cool!

·
Registered
20 Posts
:bigthumbsup:
Guys-

Just thought I'd ask.

Red
I fitted one of the bushes from Gman Industries and it DID make about a 70% improvement...and I was sceptical. It certinaly does improve the clunk between 1st and 2nd and smother in all other gears. Its not magic...my engineer mate explained it very quickly when compared the bushes why the bronze one would be far superior to the factory metal one they come with. Only about $35, so cheap mod. :bigthumbsup: Some people on the m90.ca site felt the same but others felt there was no improvement, but I figure for $35 it is not a big risk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I said it there and I will say it here...the clunk has nothing to do with the bushing.
You can say what you like...

all I know it made a difference (along with quite a few other people)...and I was sceptical...and no it is not my imagination. So it did make a difference to the clunk in my case as it was the only thing I changed.

Thats the great thing about these forums not everyone agrees...and people can share there ideas and experiences and make up there own mind. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can say what you like...
Yes I will, especially if it prevents someone from being mislead in believing the bushing will reduce the clunk. The reason I bought the bushing was based on statements like yours.

I agree the GMan bushing is superior to the OEM bushing, but all it's going to do is allow the shift arm to pivot smoother...not reduce the clunk.

You're hearing what you want to hear so yes, it is all in your head. Maybe GMan forgot to sprinkle fairy dust on mine. I guess if people want to spend $35 to find out it's their choice...just don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Deputy, for my 2 cents worth you are right. All the magic bush will do is smooth out the actual gear lever. The clunk comes from the gear box itself. The gears clunk not the gear lever. When I first got my 90, mates riding behind reckon it was like a big bore rifle being fired everytime I changed from 1st to second. It quietened down after about 1000 ks. It's still a clunk from 1st to 2nd and no magic bush on the gear lever will eliminate that clunk from the gears. If the magic bush was in the gear box I might be more willing to accept it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts