M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new to me 07 niner and the throttle was terrible, extremely herky jerky, bad enuf to consider not keeping it. Talked with some friends and they mentioned to check the throttle play and see how it was set. Read the owners manual and checked the adjustment (throttle cable at the handle bar) and it had vibrated loose (equaling) very tight on/off play.

So I adjusted it all the way in.... and what a difference. Yeah its still kinda sensitive, but it is a whole lot better. About to drop in a TRE, hope that makes it even better.

So it got me thinking, for the mechanically inclined... Can a throttle cable be designed for a wider play between gas on/off than stock?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Yeah, if you wanted to do that, you could just change the adjustment in your cables. However, I personally wouldn't do it. It might cause you some issue in a situation where you would need to get a quick throttle response. I would just try and get used to it. After some seat time, it will come.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The throttle problem was blink an eye or hit a small bump and your accelerating or slowing, very herky jerky. I still have a lot of response but am looking for more of a smooth controllable progressive roll on/off of acceleration.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The throttle problem was blink an eye or hit a small bump and your accelerating or slowing, very herky jerky. I still have a lot of response but am looking for more of a smooth controllable progressive roll on/off of acceleration.
Nature of this beast bro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Big B... hey I like the picture of you on the bike, is that lowered?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,532 Posts
Look in the How-To section for the Lamonster Throttle lock. It's a simple screw and knob that you install in the lower cover of the throttle control housing. Screw it in and it locks the throttle. I adjust mine in where it just snugs the throttle a bit, not enough to keep it from returning, and it takes out a lot of that herky-jerky action on rough roads.

The rate of opening of the throttle is determined by the diameter of the cam on the end of the grip, where the cables hook. It's also controlled by the one on the throttle body but that end is hard to change. Some grips have larger or smaller cams, those with smaller ones pull the throttle less with the same amount of grip rotation. I can't say which ones have what but I've had a couple sets that were smaller and they made a noticeable difference in the throttle action. For sport bikes they make grips with custom cams that change the way the throttle opens, less on the initial grip rotation and progressively faster as you open the throttle more. I don't know of any for our bike, but it may be possible to grind one down to make it work better.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Got my new to me 07 niner and the throttle was terrible, extremely herky jerky, bad enuf to consider not keeping it. Talked with some friends and they mentioned to check the throttle play and see how it was set. Read the owners manual and checked the adjustment (throttle cable at the handle bar) and it had vibrated loose (equaling) very tight on/off play.

So I adjusted it all the way in.... and what a difference. Yeah its still kinda sensitive, but it is a whole lot better. About to drop in a TRE, hope that makes it even better.

So it got me thinking, for the mechanically inclined... Can a throttle cable be designed for a wider play between gas on/off than stock?
The throttle cannot be adjusted for more "play" between on/off. The return cable is there as a backup of sorts to the spring that's on the throttle bodies. It ensures that the throttle closes when you close it. Even if you took the return cable completely off it would still work the same because of the return spring. I'm not suggesting that you take off the return cable, please don't. The return cable is there so that the return spring can be lighter. Without the return cable Suzuki would have made the spring a fair bit heavier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.