M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought this might be the place for this. I clicked over 636 miles on the way home this past Friday. Over the weekend I purchased a Suzuki Filter and oil (I plan on a few more miles before going synthetic) so the receipts will go in the service manual. using the manual for the service I checked all the nuts and bolts it recommended, nothing loose or out of adjustment. If anything mine was put together by a sumo wrestler, tight. especially that damn oil filter. I got lucky and had the filter wrench that looks like pliers, seems to be the right one for the job with the lack of clearance and all. still kinda crushed the old one a bit getting it off. pulled both oil pan drain plugs and the rear diff drain plug. yeah all kinds of little things on the magnets. let the motor oil drain both on the side stand and upright. measure how much came out and the rear diff was a little short at 5 ozs. should be 7 ozs according to the book and I put that much Amsoil in. the motor oil measured a full 4 qts and it was not overfilled, nothing on the air filters. buttoned it all back up and started adding oil. at 3 qts the oil was full up to the dipstick hole, barely had room to put it back in. fired her up to get the oil in the filter etc then added another qt. so after 4 qts it read full per the Suzuki method. So far I have ridden it a couple times since then and it seems the shifting is smoother and the rear end whine is practically gone. prolly switch over to synthetic or super dino Rotella in another 1k miles.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yes I bought one for $60 and $10 shipping. depends on the dealer, if you ask around the price varies anywhere from $150-$300. I just feel better doing mine, always have on all my bikes. I had to service my other bike over the weekend too a 99' ZRX 1100 Kawasaki. It required a valve check and adjustment and uses the shims like the M109R does so I already have those parts. At least on the M109R it only requires valve check/adjust at 14.5k mile intervals. I get lots of practice on the ZRX, it is supposed to be checked every 6k and I did it like that up to about 24k but I just went 20k on it and they were just barely out of spec on 8 out of 16 valves. I like getting to know my bikes. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just quoted $320.00 for the first service. Looks like I will be ordering a manual and doing it myself.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Perry is right I did my service and put in 4 qts of Syn. oil and the dip stick showed that the bike was full right on the line. Went for a hundred mile trip next day and low and behold I had oil on the left side cover. Felt like an idiot because I was one of the few here that got my bike from the dealer with no issues at all. But the whole ck oil process is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Anyway had to drain some oil out, just took off filter and let the oil go...seems to be good now....

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't believe how much some of the stealers are charging for 1st service...then again it shouldn't be surprising. I thought $198 was too much. Got mine done for $137.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
sirBeeson,you are exactly where I was when I got my first service.They told me anything under 1000 is ok.Mine was $211.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered my manual, I'll do it myself. I refuse to get ripped off for $268 for an oil change and checking some fasteners.!! :verymad:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
SirBeeson said:
I'm at 882 miles and still haven't done my first service, am i going to screw something up?!
do it now! your gear oil is noticably gonna have silver in it if you look at it in the sunlight. all of your drain plugs are gonna have metal shavings on them and your oil filter is prolly workin' overtime by now. if you use synthetic oils, you wont regret it. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
i really can't believe the prices some of these stealers are trying to get. It's insane! No way would i ever pay $300 for an oil change and tightening some bolts!

That takes some balls for them to even say that to you. I was quoted $90 for the first service when i bought the bike but they ended up doing it for the cost of the parts, $24 I believe, because it was overfilled the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts