M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, had the bike for a little over a week. time for the 1st service (600 miles). was going to let Suzuki do the first one just for doumentation/warranty reasons. So I called around to set it up. You cannot set up an appt. to bring it in for a 4 hr service, they want you to leave it with them for a couple days! Well another reason I was was going to let them do it is my service manual had not come in yet. Good news I got it yesterday so I will be doing it all myself. I will buy the oil and filter from them at least this time so I can stick the receipts in the owners manual for documentation. Lots of stuff in the service manual, I started reading it this morning after getting off from a 12 hr shift. fell asleep reading it but I will be able to do it all now. a couple little electrical plugs you need from Suzuki to do some trouble shooting on the FI. the 49 state U.S., California U.S., and Canadian models are the only ones without heated o2 sensors in the headers. The U.K., and EU (rest of Europe) as well as the Aussie model all have them so any headers for down under and over yonder will need the o2 bungs in the head pipes. I will follow the prescribed bolt tightening methods list for the 600 mile service and oil, filter, gear oil and she is done. looks like the turn signal relay/flasher is combined with the sidestand relay so won't be able to use an Automotive style electronic flasher to control the flash speed. Valve check/adjust: they are shim under bucket, I already have the shim set for my ZRX 1100. checking clearances will not be so bad but changing the shims will require pulling the cams.......going to read some more.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
hey steve j, i dont think you need to check the valves until 14.5k according to the owners manual.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was in the dealership Friday killing time during a thunderstorm(bought another frickin helmet) and asked about the first service. the service guy said they do most services on Sat. There will be a 2 hour labor charge plus parts. I said shoot its worth the 200 bucks or less and it can all be done while I wait.
HecK I am not leaving my baby for a couple of days with some young hot blooded mechanics. Heres what would happen. You'll be on your way home from dinner and you say to your wife WOW honey that looks just like my bike. The wife will look over and say man those bikes sure do wheelie good-LOL. WAIT thats my bike :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ELECTRICZ28 said:
HecK I am not leaving my baby for a couple of days with some young hot blooded mechanics. :D
sounds like you got a thing for mechanics. :joke:

·
Registered
593 Posts
nah not really :eek: I was just referencing how young guys are still full of testosterone and get a rush out of making a high speed blast on a 109

·
Registered
593 Posts
I know its all good- but I want the kid in the muscle shirt and 501's to work on my 109 - LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, SteveJ,

Could you maybe post some of the 1st service procedures and the source of your service manual purchase?

Did you get it from your dealer or is there somewhere online to get it?

Thanks,
Mike,
Sarasota, FL

·
Registered
593 Posts
I HEAR THE 1ST SERVICE REQUIRES OIL AND FILTER, REAREND, CHECK TORQUE SETTINGS ON FASTENERS, ADJUST CLUTCH, AND THE THE ECM. ANYBODY ELSE SEE ANYTHING I MISSED :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
www.oneidasuzuki.com is where I got mine from. just so happened I got it before I took it in this upcoming week. These shops around here are only open tuesday-sat and I try to get most stuff like this done on mondays since my workweek begins again on wednesdays. the 600 mi service is just the oil/filter change, final drive oil change and nuts and bolts tightening. If you want I can post what needs checking/tightening, it's pretty extensive and looks like it would take longer than the oil change. Bad109, I know the valves only need inspection at 14.5k mi and it looks like every 14.5k after that. if there is a good thing about shim under bucket adjusting that is it, longer service intervals. the screw and lock nut and shim under rocker or shim over bucket need checking/adjusting every 6k mi or so. I happen to have the right size shims for this one as they fit my other ride 99' ZRX 1100 with shim under rocker. that one is easy you just line up your timing marks to get the cam lobes pointed the right way and push the rocker out of the way on it's spring loaded shaft to change out the shim. on the M109R however the cams have to come out to change shims. I have owned every type mentioned above so it won't be a problem. generally when they have to be changed it is for a thinner (smaller numbered) shim due to the valve smacking the valve seat in the head the clearance closes up. all bikes that use shims have a handy chart in the valve adjustment section (M109R included) that allows you to take your measured clearance and if it is out of spec then you use the old shim size together with the measured clearance and it crosses over to the correct shim size needed to bring it back into spec, it basically does the math for you.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nothing in the service manual about touching the ECM. Basically on oil and filter change, final drive oil change, specific fastener checks, throttle cable and clutch cable slack. you should know the last two if your pulling on the gas and clutch. the only bikes that get the scanner hooked up to them are the Euro models for an idle speed check. U.S. models skip that one. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I still will have it performed at the dealer for my records and warranty compliance. Just in case something goes wrong I have proof of the first service interval being performed.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have but I am not leaving my bike with them for two days. You can still document your service by keeping receipts for the Suzuki oil filter and oil. nothing they can do about your warranty if you show them that and the service manual you used to do it with. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well I certainly agree with you on your thoughts of leaving your 109 for 2 days. I am being told by my local dealer that a 2 hour turn around is all that will be required for my first service. I would like to get a shop manual. How did you go about getting one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts