M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 09 M109r (yes it had sat on the showroom floor for a while) is now about 600km old and I am wondering about the grinding noise that occurs in 1st gear when you throttle off. Is that normal???? If I am rolling along in 1st and pull the clutch in the sound is still there. Of course being a new bike, I am worried I'm busy filing off some part of the gearbox in my brand new engine...not a recommended break in procedure. :mad:

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
It is really 2nd gear grinding. Shift into 2nd at 2500 or less and shift it like you mean it. You might also want to check the clutch cable adjustment. There is a sweet spot, just take the time and find yours.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,138 Posts
It's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't call it a grind, more like gear whine, and it goes away some as the gears wear in. If you pay close attention you can hear it in most of the gears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the gear change advice. Tried all the usual tricks - preload, fast change, slow change, extra throttle back off, less throttle back off, etc etc etc. Eventually found the change at low rpm works well but its still not perfect. That said the gear change isn't my issue.

There I am in 1st ready to roll. I set off. Nope going to quick (maybe a cage driver has decided its too scary out in the intersection and has slowed down) so I back off, then there is a mash of grinding sound...which could just be that 1st is going through a lot of cogs...but its sounds awful and not what I expect, hence my question to you guys, who are way more familiar with how this beast normally sounds than I am.

I don't hear it in any other gear when I back off, just 1st and its loud. I will take it back to the stealer and see what they say, but I'm not that confident as when I took it back after two days ownership saying it surges, the dealers mechanic took it for a ride and came back saying it was fine. I rode away wondering what was going on. Then the next morning it seemed even worse. It was then I tracked the forum down and learnt about the ATRE. A big difference with one installed. Now I am waiting for my Bully as its definitely running lean (pops in the exhaust on decel). So you can see why I doubt the dealer will tell me the right answer.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the gear change advice. Tried all the usual tricks - preload, fast change, slow change, extra throttle back off, less throttle back off, etc etc etc. Eventually found the change at low rpm works well but its still not perfect. That said the gear change isn't my issue.

There I am in 1st ready to roll. I set off. Nope going to quick (maybe a cage driver has decided its too scary out in the intersection and has slowed down) so I back off, then there is a mash of grinding sound...which could just be that 1st is going through a lot of cogs...but its sounds awful and not what I expect, hence my question to you guys, who are way more familiar with how this beast normally sounds than I am.

I don't hear it in any other gear when I back off, just 1st and its loud. I will take it back to the stealer and see what they say, but I'm not that confident as when I took it back after two days ownership saying it surges, the dealers mechanic took it for a ride and came back saying it was fine. I rode away wondering what was going on. Then the next morning it seemed even worse. It was then I tracked the forum down and learnt about the ATRE. A big difference with one installed. Now I am waiting for my Bully as its definitely running lean (pops in the exhaust on decel). So you can see why I doubt the dealer will tell me the right answer.
Hey Westoz, where abouts in the west are you, and what dealer are you going through?
If you would like another 9 owner to listen to your bike let me know.
Cheers Terry..

G

·
My new 09 M109r (yes it had sat on the showroom floor for a while) is now about 600km old and I am wondering about the grinding noise that occurs in 1st gear when you throttle off. Is that normal???? If I am rolling along in 1st and pull the clutch in the sound is still there. Of course being a new bike, I am worried I'm busy filing off some part of the gearbox in my brand new engine...not a recommended break in procedure. :mad:
If I were you I'd stop riding it. Nothing you are hearing is normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bigeh . I'm in Jandakot 20 min South of Perth where are you? I'll send you a PM.

I was thinking last night what the grinding sound is like as I was sure I had heard it before. Then I remembered I had heard it when my CX650 starter motor jammed on and it was getting spun by the engine. It sounds just like that on over run when in 1st. Is it possible the starter is being re-engaged?

Anyway I busied myself installing a National Vision screen and de-beavering, which have all turned out well. Still have to give the screen a test. I have been having to take the car.....not good. Anyway I will get back to the dealer this week and have another go at getting them to acknowledge there is problems...I have written up a list....should be interesting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bigeh . I'm in Jandakot 20 min South of Perth where are you? I'll send you a PM.

I was thinking last night what the grinding sound is like as I was sure I had heard it before. Then I remembered I had heard it when my CX650 starter motor jammed on and it was getting spun by the engine. It sounds just like that on over run when in 1st. Is it possible the starter is being re-engaged?

Anyway I busied myself installing a National Vision screen and de-beavering, which have all turned out well. Still have to give the screen a test. I have been having to take the car.....not good. Anyway I will get back to the dealer this week and have another go at getting them to acknowledge there is problems...I have written up a list....should be interesting.
Martin 10 mins away from jandakot, pm'd you my phone number, give me a call.
Terry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.