M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, before TrackDayElectronics TRE4 install, my HIGH was 32 mpg, usually between 30-32. I ride the bike like it's on fire. No change in my riding style, up 6+ mpg (38.5)! I am so pumped!!! Post up anyone who has this device if you have before and after! Will pay for itself in my case pretty fast.

·
Registered
260 Posts
whats the parts number on yours ??? was there not an issue with some of them , just asking cos I orderd one to , still waing for it to arrive ,

·
Registered
483 Posts
whats the parts number on yours ??? was there not an issue with some of them , just asking cos I orderd one to , still waing for it to arrive ,
If you just purchased there will be no problem. The batch from a few months ago was the problem and Darrin took care of everyone by sending out a replacement part. I still have not installed but hoping within the next few weeks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MPG Increase

So true. Was gonna post a similar article and saw yours first. I just finished my first tank of gas since the install and saw between 3 and 4 mpg increase. Before the install, my Fuel Light would start blinking at apx 160 miles. This past tank, it started at 177. Averaged out to 41mpg. Gonna check over the next few tanks, but I am impressed. Finally a product that improves performance (smoother ride) and increases gas mileage.

BEST MOD yet for me. I love it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Well, before TrackDayElectronics TRE4 install, my HIGH was 32 mpg, usually between 30-32. I ride the bike like it's on fire. No change in my riding style, up 6+ mpg (38.5)! I am so pumped!!! Post up anyone who has this device if you have before and after! Will pay for itself in my case pretty fast.
Is that the one from here?
http://trackdayelectronics.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep, mine is the TRE4 (meaning 4th gear emulator), WITHOUT the Gear indicator!

He also makes one WITH the gear indicator. Mine was only $32.95 shipped. The gear indicator one is $80-90 if I am not mistaken?

You.........will.......LOVE it. No issues at all except a grin pasted on my face at all times!!

No surging idle, no high idle, no pinging, nothing. Great mileage. I too am gonna watch the gauge a couple more fillups, but now i am reconsidering the FI module upgrade or tuner, don't feel like I need it. It's a rocket!! I weigh 275, and this thing still muscles up the front wheel in 1st and 2nd!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Calls it a TRE4, WITHOUT the gear indicator, can't stress this enough, If you want the gear indicator, you have to email asking for the M109r part with 4th gear emulation and gear indicator. I just wanted to save money and hassle for little extra benefit IMO. Darrin is very top notch, even when i told him he wasn't charging enough!!!

Yours I can't say for sure. How much was yours?

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Thanks for the info!:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally a product that improves performance (smoother ride) and increases gas mileage.

BEST MOD yet for me. I love it.:bigthumbsup:
You ain't kiddin'! My girl was afraid to get on the beast after I almost bucked her off. Not racing, just touched the throttle! She was amazed the other night we took it out. Still getting her the sissy bar, but now we're both happy! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep. I am confident now that my numbers are solid.

I have two types of riding, beating the piss out of it - that means full throttle starts and blasting traffic at speed, and normal launches with burst to pass when available.

Beating the piss out of it: Before 30, now 33
Normal riding, bursts to pass: Before 32-34, now 38-38.5

3-7 mpg increase either way ain't bad. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
You guys talked me into it

Just sent Darrin an email requesting information on the GPI + ATRE in red. He states he is a little backed up but should have one ready by the middle to end of next week. I was really close to purchasing one of the GiPro models but reading the posts here and how 'TDE' is standing behind his product pushed me in the right way.

I currently have a bone stock '09 and am consistantly getting 38mpg with normal driving too and from work. Once I get this thing installed I will post some pics along with new mileage numbers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just sent Darrin an email requesting information on the GPI + ATRE in red. He states he is a little backed up but should have one ready by the middle to end of next week. I was really close to purchasing one of the GiPro models but reading the posts here and how 'TDE' is standing behind his product pushed me in the right way.

I currently have a bone stock '09 and am consistantly getting 38mpg with normal driving too and from work. Once I get this thing installed I will post some pics along with new mileage numbers.
Be prepared to be amazed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Be prepared to be amazed.
I think this is where I need to add my legal disclaimer:

"Personal amazement is not guaranteed." :D

I do want everyone to understand that the TRE is a "Gear Emulator", not so much a Timing Retard Eliminator, although it may advance the timing somewhat. We list is as a TRE because that is what riders are accustomed to labeling them as. In a nutshell, we build an electronic device that tells the ECU that the bike is in 4th Gear all the time, except for Neutral.

And yes, we are backed up - slightly. We'll keep working to build the units as quickly as possible. And we certainly appreciate the excellent feedback that the forum members have provided.

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com

·
Registered
102 Posts
How is this compared to the JSD product several people have/had on their 9s?
There shouldn't be any difference in any of the "smart" or "automatic" TRE units out there. They all do the same thing - just some cost more, a lot more. A TRE sends a specified voltage to the ECU when the bike is placed in any gear, outside of Neutral. This is why we sometimes refer to our unit as a "Gear Emulator", rather than a "Timing Retard Eliminator".

Plans for building TREs have been on the internet for years. You can easily make one. The parts are not especially costly unless you're only building less than 20 of them. We use OEM connectors, color matched TXL wiring, UL-rated ABS enclosure, epoxy resin (for coating internal components), and a real printed circuit board. I guarantee many others do not do that. I have seen companies throw a mess under heat shrink and call it a day.

The TRE unit doesn't do any real magic. It is the ECU, that is getting tricked, that holds the real benefits.

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com

·
Registered
480 Posts
This product works awesome. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything. Darren is a stand up guy and love helping him get as much buisness as possible.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Just got mine in mail. I had been running the jsd4 but it has failed. I sent emails to Jeff but no reply. I figure for 33 bucks I'm better off trying a different company. Ill install after work and check mileage. When the jsd was working it WAS nice

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
There shouldn't be any difference in any of the "smart" or "automatic" TRE units out there. They all do the same thing - just some cost more, a lot more. A TRE sends a specified voltage to the ECU when the bike is placed in any gear, outside of Neutral. This is why we sometimes refer to our unit as a "Gear Emulator", rather than a "Timing Retard Eliminator".

Plans for building TREs have been on the internet for years. You can easily make one. The parts are not especially costly unless you're only building less than 20 of them. We use OEM connectors, color matched TXL wiring, UL-rated ABS enclosure, epoxy resin (for coating internal components), and a real printed circuit board. I guarantee many others do not do that. I have seen companies throw a mess under heat shrink and call it a day.

The TRE unit doesn't do any real magic. It is the ECU, that is getting tricked, that holds the real benefits.

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com
Is your company based out of STL? I have a TRE but would still like to check out your products.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts