M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fell in love with the 109 and KNOW that's what i want.
It's going to be my first bike and have only ridden a few times.
I don't think this is going to be too much bike and only want to buy once
(don't want six months later to decide to upgrade already). I like
the responses that i see on this forum - was hoping for a few thoughts
or opinions. gotta go to work but will check back tonite on responses.
Plan to take riders course and have friends to ride with.

THANKS FOR INPUT RIDERS - GREAT FORUM HERE - HAVE LEARNED ALOTÂ AND SURE I
WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR A LONG TIME :read: - HAVE A SAFE ONE

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Take the MSF Riders Course......the course bikes, if provided, are usually 250 cc. When you get your new 109 you only have to safely manage a additional 1533 cc's....go easy on the throttle!!! The 109 has a nice low CG ( Center Of Gravity ) due to is semi-dry sump and is amazingly easy to handle for a bike weighing almost 700 lb's. Most important is to "ride within your limits" and you'll do fine :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I would say get something else first. Nothing like dropping a 5k bike instead of a 11k bike. It WILL happen.

You can learn the right way by getting something a little more forgiving and cheaper.

My opinion only.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The 109 is my first street bike. My experience started off all in dirt bike racing as a teen. I took about a 15 year lay off from riding full time. I rode a max of 20 minutes during that time 1 ride on a Wing and a second on a buddies 1500.

I have 0 problems with this bike it fits just fine and easy to learn/ride i will say the throttle response is the only thing i had to get used to. 300 miles on her and that was just fine as well.

No regrets excellent bike. Im 5'11 and 230 if that helps any at all.

Enjoy and buy this bike

Mike

·
Registered
600 Posts
bucdog said:
Fell in love with the 109 and KNOW that's what i want.
It's going to be my first bike and have only ridden a few times.
I don't think this is going to be too much bike and only want to buy once
(don't want six months later to decide to upgrade already). I like
the responses that i see on this forum - was hoping for a few thoughts
or opinions. gotta go to work but will check back tonite on responses.
Plan to take riders course and have friends to ride with.
I can recall three people here who bought the M as their first bike. Medic1210 seems to be doing great with his. He has modified the exhaust and lowered it and I believe has about 5,000 miles on it :bigthumbsup: BigBen went down twice on his in the first couple months :eek: Another fella (don't remember his nickname) really tore his up the first few days he had it. It left him in the ditch, literally. I'm not sure if he ever got it put back together and rode it again :dontknow: There are others but I can't recall the nicknames.

If a family member or close friend asked me this question, I would tell them to start out on something less powerful, but I can only go by my personal experience. I started out on dirt bikes when I was 9 years old and thrashed a couple of them... and myself, so I got the hard part out of the way pretty early, on machines that weren't very powerful or near as heavy as an M. I can't imagine learning to ride on a 100+HP asphalt abuser :evil:

Whatever you decide, please be careful :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
You sound just like me. Had only ridden a couple times before (none in the last year). Fell in love with the 109. Knew I wanted it. Knew if I got anything smaller, I would regret it very soon. Bought the 109. Have put 6000 miles on it in 4 months. Couldn't be happier. I really should take the MSF course though (I have read the book though), so I gotta recommend that to you. This bike has a VERY sensitive throttle that will scare, hurt, or kill you very quickly if you aren't very careful. This is a lot of bike, but is very easy to control once you master the throttle. The MSF course will help you with other riding techniques that are very important to know. You are gonna get a lot of responses that say this bike is too big for a first-timer, and that you will kill yourself if you get it. Get it if you want it... just try not to prove the naysayers right. Take your time on the bike and you should be alright. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
The safe bet would be to try on something a little smaller to see if this activity is really for you.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
300CREW said:
The safe bet would be to try on something a little smaller to see if this activity is really for you.
I agree with CREW.....get a cheapo 600-800cc to find yer legs on,
that ya wont mind droppin in the parkin lot and that won't break'ya
leg if it falls on ya...JMHO

·
Registered
52 Posts
i bought the 109 as my first street bike and would advise other people to do the same. i know that i'm usually a fast learner and didn't want to have to buy another bike in a year so i bought the 109.  What i will say though, is to take it SLOW when learning.  PRACTICE, PRACTICE , PRACTICE, before you get out on the road full time.  As long as you know your limits and follow them you will be ok.  Good luck with the new bike! :beer3:

G

·
Not meant to be a flame post at all but I can't believe we would offer a :bigthumbsup: to someone having a 700 pound 110+ hp bike as their first bike. I know everyone has their own abilities and can be a quick learner etc. but what if the new owner is say ... average? Anyway, posted with all due respect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like the others said, Take it slow and easy, Drive defensive and no bar hopping. Drugs and alcohol are a lethal combination with motorcycles.

nine

·
Registered
890 Posts
His name is MadMike...
I wouldn't do it personally. My first bike was an 800 Intruder, while I was a little apprehensive when I first threw my leg over the 109 that went away as soon as it moved forward. I find that once the beast is moving its sooooooo stabel and light! My only objection is its also VERY powerful....and if you have no riding experience it can bust your a$$ really quick. The throttle will not may will be something to get used to...if you decide to buy the 109 as a first bike, get a Throttle Rocker and put it one before you leave the dealer!

Good luck...

Devilish

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
IMHO getting the 109 as your first bike isn't the best idea. I know some have done it successfully, and I understand all too well the thought behind not wanting to spend the money on a bike you know you will be bored with in a few months...

I rode dirt bikes from age 6 up through about 18, and occasionally rode on buddies bikes in my early 20's. When it came time to buy my first street bike (After 15 years off) I knew I wanted the 109 but decided to get a less expensive, lighter, and less powerfull bike (Blvd C-50) to get re-acquainted on.

I can say with 100% certainty, after the 9000 miles I have put on my 109, that there were a couple of mistakes I made on the C-50 that I wouldn't have gotten away with on the 109. I ended up teaching my wife to ride on the C50 and giving it to her, but worse case I would have traded it in on the 109 and taken a 500 to 1000$ hit on the trade in value...

Not that bad in the "Big Picture" as you can easily do more damage then that to the 109, or yourself, with one simple mistake.

How many out there would teach a buddy, or their wife to ride on THEIR 109??  :dontknow:
Just my $.02
:doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
Not meant to be a flame post at all but I can't believe we would offer a :bigthumbsup: to someone having a 700 pound 110+ hp bike as their first bike. I know everyone has their own abilities and can be a quick learner etc. but what if the new owner is say ... average? Anyway, posted with all due respect.
A 500 pound 600cc bike can kill ya just as quickly as a 700 pound 1800cc one can. I know, because I've seen it more times than I care to remember. If he takes the MSF course and learns the proper technique for riding, it doesn't matter what bike he's on. Besides, the way the weight is positioned on the 109 makes it feel much much lighter than it really is. I can easily lean the bike over and touch the pegs on the ground without dropping it. Compared to my uncle's Road King Classic, this bike feels like a lightweight.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Personally, I do think its too much bike for a first bike. H*ll, I think its too much bike for a 2nd bike. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying twice. Will just confirm what you want later. If you buy smart and used, you should be able to get most your money out of the "learner." For instance, in our area, a Honda Trans Alp would be a great bike to learn on because it will only increase in value.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
I would say get something else first. Nothing like dropping a 5k bike instead of a 11k bike. It WILL happen.

You can learn the right way by getting something a little more forgiving and cheaper.

My opinion only.
I'm starting to disagree with this logic myself. There are two kinds of bikes in the world. Those that have been dropped and those that will be. Dropped/wrecked my dirt bikes a few times as a kid growing up. Never dropped/wrecked my first street bike...but never assumed that because I 'learned the right way' (MSF course about a year after I got it) it would never happen.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
+1 to JR on that response.

And....for a 700 pound bike, the 109 feels lighter than any other 700 pound bike I've ....well sat on. :) The 109 is only one of two over my 800ccs I've ridden (other was a 1300 vtx...and I hated it...loved the 109).

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
J R said:
This is a tuff call.Yea you can do it :bigthumbsup: But it really depends on you and how comfortable and good ya are on a bike.Its kinda like putting a 16 year old in a corvette.They prolly wont have a problem but if they do its gonna be ugly.Id get it and just take it easy and learn the thing.I tought my wife how to ride on a stretched turboed Busa and she does fine now .She just took it easy on the bike and drove it like a 250.Just take it eas and youll be fine but man id hate like heck for ya to get it and take it out and go fast and get hurt or worse.It is a pretty snappy bike and kinda heavy but I think youll be fine just taking it easy.I would hope you have rode somthing before and this aint like the first ever thing with two wheels ya ever sat on cause in that case im gonna have to say altho the 109 is great it aint a beginner bike its a bit heavy but all that depends on your size and all that so :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: Heck we got a 100 pound girl on here who rides one and has pic,s of here going thru the moputains scraping the pegs and dragracing so who knows maybe it aint all that hard to ride.But after owning over 100 bikes prolly in my life i know by far it aint the easiest by a long shot.It has its quirks....
The bike is balanced and handles well, my biggest concern would be how Tourqy and powerfull it is... especially with the very touchy throttle. It would be VERY easy to get into trouble during low speed manouvers.

Also... the low CG and balance can get you into trouble in the curves... It doesn't feel like a 700lb bike at all so it is easy to get into the turns a little too aggresively. I still have this problem today... :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 109 is my first bike. I took the MSF course in May got my M on fathers day.
I ride every day to visit my customers so I get around three and half hours in each day.
Take it slow & show it the respect it deserves and I don't think you will have any problems.
If you take the power for granted the consequneces can be severe.
Have fun, be safe, keep the rubber side down :bigthumbsup:

Sean

1 - 20 of 84 Posts