M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little off topic from the 109 but I thought this would be worth sharing. Some guy in ND got picked up at 174 yesterday on a crotch rocket. Heard on the radio that he was clocked by a plane and radio'd ahead to trooper sitting along road. Trooper said it was just a blurr. He did pull over and got a $500 fine and yanked his license. I thought the fine was pretty low actually. I hit 175 on my zx-11 many moons ago and I can tell you everything is a blurr.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's fun to fly. Actually, I've heard this particular story or one very similar to it several times, often reported by news orginizations in the last year. Thus, I wonder if this might be one of those urban myths sort of things.
Jer

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No this one is true.  I just talked to a buddy of mine who is a trooper and today he talked to the trooper that gve the ticket.  It was on a gxr but didn't know how big. I guess the bike was brand new and didn't even have the plate on yet.  It was actually 176 and it happened Saturday.  I guess the guy was just out screwing around.  There was one from minneapolis last year that said he was doing 180 or something like that but it was on a stock 600 and the bike couldn't possibly go that fast.  Our laws in ND are pretty laxed.  Lots of old folks in the legislature that don't think it should cost you any money when you break the law.  Hell, 70 in a 55 is only $15 and no points.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Actually, the last time I heard it , it was a rider on a really hot Honda crotch rocket, a Black Hawk, or something like that, and that one too had support from people who knew someone. Consequently, I'm still a little dubious. This is in spite of the fact that I know well I'm silly enough to do it if my bike would cooperate.
One of the sad things about having so much titanium holding me together is that I can't bend things enough to get my feet up on rear set footpegs anymore or I'd have a New ZX14 Kaw right now just to see what 180plus feels like. Again, I know it's possible there's more than one person going that fast , and getting caught, but it is an old story.
Jer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats part of the reason I sold my R1. I had a hard time staying out of the throttle. Tripple digits come really fast on those bikes. And I can tell you from experience that 180+mph is nothing but a blurry adrenaline rush you dont soon forget. I get chills just thinking about it. I did it on a paved highway here in Iowa with no trees, houses, or anything to worry about besides staying on the road. :#1:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not too impresive when you consider that last year someone else in Montana was clocked at 205 MPH. Same way, from an airplane :eek:. Gotta be nuts!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does anyone know the radar visibility of a motorcycle to a modern radar/laser gun?

Short story is, I went by two stationary VA State Troopers today doing 80 and neither pursued me. I am confident one of them was taking pictures but not sure abou the other. Also, with the second who was taking pictures, if you were to line up his radar gun with my bike, there was a van about a 100-200 feet in front of me in another lane which was going faster then me and might have confused his reading.

So, my question is two-fold.
1. Does a motorcycle have any advantage with regards to a reduced signature to a radar/laser gun?
2. If you get pulled over or get a ticket via radar/laser gun, is it easier to use the false reading defense then in a car?

G

·
:confused: Last year there was a gentleman in Colorado that got a ticket for doing a wheely on the freeway at 150mph+. A highway patrolman was behind him when it happened. Cost him the loss of his license and over $20K to pay for the ticket and legal fees.

olfart

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
dilbertian said:
Does anyone know the radar visibility of a motorcycle to a modern radar/laser gun?Â

Short story is, I went by two stationary VA State Troopers today doing 80 and neither pursued me. I am confident one of them was taking pictures but not sure abou the other. Also, with the second who was taking pictures, if you were to line up his radar gun with my bike, there was a van about a 100-200 feet in front of me in another lane which was going faster then me and might have confused his reading.

So, my question is two-fold.
1. Does a motorcycle have any advantage with regards to a reduced signature to a radar/laser gun?
2. If you get pulled over or get a ticket via radar/laser gun, is it easier to use the false reading defense then in a car?
I would think the size of the target does matter. If you were not flying past people, I guess you could get your speedometer calibrated and bring those findings into court with you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
oldfart said:
:confused:                                                                                    Last year there was a gentleman in Colorado that got a ticket for doing a wheely on the freeway at 150mph+. A highway patrolman was behind him when it happened. Cost him the loss of his license and over $20K to pay for the ticket and legal fees.

olfart
...I gotta call bs on this one. $20K in ticket & legal fees? for a wheelie? Seems like IF it was $20K, the guy tried to fight it, and lost....thus paid ~$18-19K to a high priced lawyer, not that, obviously, it did him any good.

G

·
It thought it was on an RC-51. I had a friend who knew the wife of a trooper who was a friend of the uncle of the trooper that gave the ticket to the guy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
It thought it was on an RC-51. I had a friend who knew the wife of a trooper who was a friend of the uncle of the trooper that gave the ticket to the guy.
LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
It thought it was on an RC-51. I had a friend who knew the wife of a trooper who was a friend of the uncle of the trooper that gave the ticket to the guy.
I heard the same. It was an RC-51 and the kid was clocked from the air. I think the story was absolutely exxagerated, on the police's end. No way that kid could get an RC-51 that fast even with mods. 170-180 max, but no way 205 mph!! Manufacturers and bike magazines have tried tons of parts to get the big sportbikes to break the 200 mph mark and it only happened with some serious mods.... I hit 180 mph on my stock 2005 Ninja ZX-12R last year and that was pretty much topped out....

If you want to know how it feels at that speed. It's like your hugging the tank with your head down and the bars, and all you can see is everything way ahead of you coming up INSANELY fast ( almost tunnel vision) and most of your decisions are based on the road conditions as far ahead as you can see. The engine is absolutely screaming underneath the howl of the wind ripping past the fairings, and the front end gets a little soft ( almost like a cadillac would feel like at 130 mph) and starts to float.

-Chad

·
Registered
752 Posts
Had a Turbo XX when I was young and foolish. Had it at 11,900 rpm in sixth a few times. Never past that. I think it redlined at 10,700 rpm.

Once I drained the entire gas tank including reserve in 120 miles. I think it was a 5.7 tank. My buddy on a topped out ZX-9 was 9 minutes behind me. I covered the 120 in 37 minutes from start to dry tank and he took 46.

·
Registered
752 Posts
But I don't believe most of these stories. Usually a guy snatching a glance at an inacurate speedo under full throttle or a cop BSing the whole thing.

I heard a 170 story in phoenix 5 years ago on a stock 600. Total crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts