M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow...i am really surprise at how everyone feels better with 160s up front. Damn...this has to be my next move!!!

Looks darn good too!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Topher, that is a very, very nice bike! :bigthumbsup:
Thanks wdkomo, it's a work in progress! Yours is very very nice as well!

I just noticed I'm a Very Active member:D

Is my front tire mounted backwards or forward and does it make a difference? I see other pictures where the tread is going the other way?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Topher, it doesn't really seem to matter which way it's mounted. If you have no ill-effects, don't change it. You'd actually do yourself more harm by changing it now. If you flip a tire and run it the opposite direction once it's been ridden, you increase your chances of belt seperation. I run mine reversed, which is opposite of how yours is mounted. But it seems to be a 50/50 split among the pics posted here, and I haven't heard a bad word from anyone about how theirs is working for them.

-Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Topher, it doesn't really seem to matter which way it's mounted. If you have no ill-effects, don't change it. You'd actually do yourself more harm by changing it now. If you flip a tire and run it the opposite direction once it's been ridden, you increase your chances of belt seperation. I run mine reversed, which is opposite of how yours is mounted. But it seems to be a 50/50 split among the pics posted here, and I haven't heard a bad word from anyone about how theirs is working for them.

-Josh
Josh is right about not changing rotational direction onece run. That's why we no longer rotate our car tires in an "X" pattern any more. Just front to rear.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,823 Posts
Is this indeed the only tire in this size that fits the front stock rim without modifications?
I seem to remember some folks mounting a different size in the front before this became popular... a 150, or a 170... but there were some issues with rubbing. Can anyone remember what that was?

My Metz 130 is cupping - I'm trying to decide if I want to do this before or after the meet.

Where are everyone buying theirs? Also, 1 bag of DynaBeads?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I used to run the Metz 170/50/18. It wasn't a V rated tire and would grow at speed causing it to rub the back of the front fender.

·
Administrator
5,823 Posts
Thanks guys. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I seem to remember some folks mounting a different size in the front before this became popular... a 150, or a 170... but there were some issues with rubbing. Can anyone remember what that was?

My Metz 130 is cupping - I'm trying to decide if I want to do this before or after the meet.

Where are everyone buying theirs? Also, 1 bag of DynaBeads?
Cupping is often the result of high countersteering inputs. Just one of many causes. (tire pressure, braking habits) Having to adjust the front tires directional path (counter steering) to maintain lean angle causes the tire to sideload at an angle to the direction of travel. This actually causes the tire to scuff and cup. Putting a bigger rear tire on makes this worse. Probably waht caused SRF's front tire problems. Going to a bigger wider profile front tire will cure this. As you can see from the pictures of 160 fronts, the're not cupping.

·
Administrator
5,823 Posts
Just another reason to go with this! :bigthumbsup: *sigh* thought I'd get more than 10K miles out of it. C'est la vis!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Had a 150 last year now I got the 160 and like it even better,Gregg

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
man i cant wait to get my 160 and get to riding again!! i have been waiting for the 130 to wear out and its been there, so i just need to order:hot::hot:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The 150/70 is a bias ply. It should never be run in combination with a radial. But, what ever ya got to do.

So I haven't bought a front tire in a few years for the 109's and was getting ready to order so of course I need to research it here... like everyone should. I know the 160 Metz is the new 'thang, but for some reason it reminds me of the 280 on a stock 8.5 rim debate... :eek: I know, sorry in advance.

The 150 Metz I ran on the front sure looked and handled great. I usually only had a 1/4" chicken strip on it and the edges were nice and even with no breakover to the sidewall. It also has a nice flaired lip from the sidewall to the tread which gives alot more stabilty in the lean with less scrub out.

The 160 just looks way pulled in and has a very uneven transfer from tread to sidewall with no shoulder support at all... very reminiscent of the 280 on a stock rear wheel.

I know there are clearance issues with the 150, but the front is a majority of your input to the road like push in turns and smooth transistions from lean to upright conditions and the 150 is made for a 3.5" rim. The 160 is made for a 4.25" to 5.00" rim.

I used a photo already on this thread to compare, no negativity meant towards the owner of this 109 or the other 109 owners. I ordered another Metz 150. The last picture is the super rare Metzler Dimension Chart for the ME880 wheels... well ok, lets just say it is hard to find sometimes on the net :)

Sly

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just wondering if you noticed much difference in the braking. With a bigger contact patch does it seem to be able to take more brake going into the corners?
Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh yeah. I locked up the stock tire several times in hard braking. I had to modulate it alot. The 160 metz is a vast improvement. Not just from the grip but the larger daimeter has more leaverage over the brakes. But the brakes are more powerful than the stock tire can handle so you can brake harder with more feel and stop shorter. Don't get me wrong you can still lock it up with the 160 but it takes a lot harder braking before it does, hence better braking performance. But there aint no way this thing is going to do a stoppie. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
sorry but m confused about 160 front tire is good for curves more stable good for breaking will touch the fender or not because i got lights on my fronnt fender shut i run it with the tread backwards or whats going on help please

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
sorry but m confused about 160 front tire is good for curves more stable good for breaking will touch the fender or not because i got lights on my fronnt fender shut i run it with the tread backwards or whats going on help please
Metz and Avon 160's will work if you run it in reverse. As far as clearance goes just make sure your fender clears on the backside. A couple guys have torn up the backside of the front fender after installing a 160.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I do not run frount 160 in reverse, it has 6500 on it and it's doing just fine. I run it hard and fast through the twisties and all is fine. If you're running hard and fast through the twisties your tires will cup on the sides, it just a fact:bigthumbsup:

21 - 40 of 127 Posts