M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting metzeler 160/60 260/40 tires mounted this weekend . My service guy at the dealer is worried the rear may be too wide to mount without some modification . Is he overthinking it? I thought the only difference between the 260/40 and the stock 240/40 was the height . Am I wrong?

·
Registered
960 Posts
No modification needed that I have ever heard of or seen. I have the 250 and have made NO modifications. It fits just fine.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Sounds like he's never done one before. A 260/40 is wider and taller. The 260 is width in mm. The 40 is the percentage of the width that makes the height of the sidewall. Lots of members on this forum have these sizes and have no problems with fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
tires

I'm getting metzeler 160/60 260/40 tires mounted this weekend . My service guy at the dealer is worried the rear may be too wide to mount without some modification . Is he overthinking it? I thought the only difference between the 260/40 and the stock 240/40 was the height . Am I wrong?
need to find site for ft 160 tryed metzler site only go to 140 , tryed other sites and the same, what site do i go to, and do you have to mod the ft fender with diff braces to fit thanks

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
need to find site for ft 160 tryed metzler site only go to 140 , tryed other sites and the same, what site do i go to, and do you have to mod the ft fender with diff braces to fit thanks
the metz 160 is actually a rear tire and most of us run it in the reverse direction. I'm personally on my second 160 and I'm very pleased with it. there is no need to modify anything for the 160 on the front or the 260 on the rear. I did loosen the front fender and pull it away from the tire at the rear while I retightened it. I also got over 11,000 miles out of the first metz 160 and I have been known to ride fairly hard at times.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a new believer !
I picked up the bike yesterday and accidentally rode 100mi !
It rides great on the crappy LA freeways. Today I'm taking it to the twisties!

·
Registered
179 Posts
cool...after you scrub the tires in I'd like to see how much rubber is now being used and to hear your thoughts on the rubber compound...easy way to scrub tires in is find a empty lot and do 25 to 30 tight circles in each direction grinding yer pegs with foot out like a flat tracker or MX'r ....8) did you have any hassles with the tech installing the front tire backwards ? have Fun !

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No problems from the dealer mounting the front backwards. They couldn't figure out how to mount the stebel so he put it on the side of the motor. Luckily I got a chrome one so it doesn't look bad.

Anyway, back to the tires. I rode the old Mulhulland Hwy in the Santa Monica Mountains. The bike handles great! I didn't push it hard because I was by myself but a couple times I went into a turn that got sharper in the middle. All I had to do was lean it more and the bike just did it! S-curves felt like I was on rails. I dragged pegs a couple times but never felt like I was about to lose control. (like the old tires) I went from a 3/4 inch chicken strip to a 1/4 in one day with the change in tires.

It would be nice if I got decent mileage out of the tires but it's not mandatory. No question, I will buy them again regardless of cost or mileage.

I like the twisties but I'm the first to admit I'm not very fast. I just want to have equipment that will forgive my mistakes as much as possible. The Metz 160/260 setup looks good and does what I need.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
No problems from the dealer mounting the front backwards. They couldn't figure out how to mount the stebel so he put it on the side of the motor. Luckily I got a chrome one so it doesn't look bad.

Anyway, back to the tires. I rode the old Mulhulland Hwy in the Santa Monica Mountains. The bike handles great! I didn't push it hard because I was by myself but a couple times I went into a turn that got sharper in the middle. All I had to do was lean it more and the bike just did it! S-curves felt like I was on rails. I dragged pegs a couple times but never felt like I was about to lose control. (like the old tires) I went from a 3/4 inch chicken strip to a 1/4 in one day with the change in tires.

It would be nice if I got decent mileage out of the tires but it's not mandatory. No question, I will buy them again regardless of cost or mileage.

I like the twisties but I'm the first to admit I'm not very fast. I just want to have equipment that will forgive my mistakes as much as possible. The Metz 160/260 setup looks good and does what I need.
Something I have noticed with the Metz is they have an ideal operating temp... If starting out on the twisties and it's a cooler day 60's to low 70's the tires still stick but there becomes a point where the tires seem to warm up and REALLY start to stick. I have noticed this several times when riding and taking a break or stuck in traffic. If I take too long then the tires must heat up again. This summer or on hot days you will not be able to control the grin from ear to ear in the helmet.:bigthumbsup: Course since your from LA it will probably never be cold enough to notice. ;)

I'm not worried about rubber loss with these tires since I bought them for the same reason I bought my 9. Performance. When the tire gets to feeling like it needs replaced I will do so. Most guys around here get around 5,000 out of a rear and double out of a front. Fairly low as compared to some other states ,but WV asphalt is very course. that combined with the twisted roads, it just begs for burning rubber.:D the Metz are a softer compound and will not last as long as harder, "slicker" tires..*cough...E3...cough***.:-X I wouldn't buy a NASCAR tire and expect it to last as long as a Bridgestone 80,000 mile guarantee tire. I compare the Metz and the Avons as being similar.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow.......zactly what i was looking for......thanks fellers..., contact forget any future possible rain report.........thanks again!
Rain report ,
Rode home in the rain tonight
Not fun but not because of the tires.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Rain report ,
Rode home in the rain tonight
Not fun but not because of the tires.
My metzlers stick 1000x better in the rain than did the stock dunnies or the e3's. :dontknow: How many miles you got on them? It takes a few miles to have them scuffed up.

Also.. what pressure you running them?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
most of us run it in the reverse direction.

What is the purpose of mounting it in reverse direction?
Long story short, it has to do with how the tire was made. ;) That subject has been discussed on here a great length, but I don't think there's a thread specific to that question. Course, I didn't run a search, but you might try and see what comes up? :dontknow::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tires were fine in the rain. I wasn't wearing rain gear so I got soaked. That part wasn't fun. Regarding mounting the tires backwards, it is posted in a couple of threads and in the FAQs, but beyond that it is recommended on the metzeler website. (Also in the FAQs.) It says on the tire to inflate to 50 PSI so that is what I did. Most only run 42psi.

Anyone know why?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts