M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally convinced that the 160/260 combo will help my ride and make my bike handle better. Should I lower it as well? I'm more into function than fancy on this so I won't lower it if there isn't a performance benefit.

Gurus,
What say you?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I bought my 9 lowered and actually put it back to stock ride height to get the most out of my twists and turns. I ran the 160/260 combo and loved it. I like the look of a lowered 9, but I can't justify losing my edge in the corners for looks.

-Josh

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!I really like riding the twisties.And my wife would not be happy if I bottomed out when we are 2up just to be cool.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
When I bought both of my 9s both of them already had 2.75 inch Lowering Links on them. That was too low for me, so I replaced them with 2.00 inch Lowering Links, to allow me to get into turns and twisties with more speed and aggression. In a addition, I put on the 160/60 front tire, and the combination of the two changes has made a world of difference. If you didn't know already, DLP sells 1.5 inch Lowering Links, and they will give you that lowered look as well, but not so low that you have to worry about bottoming out when you have a passenger on the bike. You can also stiffen your rear spring/shock to prevent the bike from dampening as much. It may feel that it is just little bit harder ride when going over bumps, but you won't have to worry about it bottoming out either. One last thing you can do is to go underneath the rear fender and cut off the ends of the screws that are sticking out of the fender down toward your rear tire. Nevertheless, you will probably love the ride of your bike with the 160/60 & 260/40 combo.

Good luck.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have the same setup 260/160 dropped my bike 2.75..and it sucks around corners. always scraping. I'm thinking about putting an air system in. then I can bring it up when riding hard.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ordered the Cycle House 2" bones (seems the cycle house has a more accurate measurement from what Ive read, other 2" bones people say drop more like 2.5") I love the corners and already scrape pegs, Im hoping that when I go to the Metz 160 that it will even out the clearance with the front raised alittle.

I also have the Cobra Dragsters, and despite their name, their design is much less likely to drag in the corners

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
To answer this one we will have to wait for Square Rounder
to figure out the details of the " Air Ride shock ".
He's got a thread on this , titled : " Arnott shock QA1 model # ? "
This way we can all build an Air Ride for
under $400.00 (maybe less than $300.00)
raise for the spots we already know we have to slow down for
and slam for looks whenever we want , whitout spending $900.00
no more compromise.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep an eye out for that thread. The freeways are bumpy in LA. I don't want to stiffen my ride. I like the Arnotts solution but can't afford it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had my 9 lowered 2.00" then went with the 260/160 setup. Handled like a boat. Kept scrapping the bottom in the twisties. Went back to the stock height and haven't looked back. Get the 260/160 mod and leave the stock bones on. You'll be grinning from ear to ear through the turns. Safe riding. 8)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm finally convinced that the 160/260 combo will help my ride and make my bike handle better. Should I lower it as well? I'm more into function than fancy on this so I won't lower it if there isn't a performance benefit.

Gurus,
What say you?
I lowered mine because I like my feet flat on the ground at a stop. I'm 5'6 and lowering it was good for me. I think it looks better but I do scrape all the time, but I also like that. If lowering keeps me from hitting the turns too hard and my a## in the seat then so be it. I like it my way.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts