M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever run 15W-50 oil in their bike? when i had my 600 mile service done, they put in 15W-50. even though its hot, this seems kind of think to me

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oil

I have run 10/40 oil in my nine for 13000 miles and it is just fine. I believe I would change that 15/50 out of something a little lighter, Unless of course you live in death valley or the eqivilant heat in your area.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ran 20/50 on recomendation of two local racers and mechanics for equal amount of miles as above. dont realy know what is best. as I ride from 32-100F

G

·
A multigrade like that is not a problem. You have a 15 weight oil at cold temps that protects like a 50 weight oil when hot. It has additives in it to keep it from thinning out. It is not much thicker to begin with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your 15W-50 meets the viscosity specs . Just make sure the API Classification is SF/SG or SH/SJ or the JASO (Japanese Classification) MA. Also if the API Dougnut Label says "Energy Conserving" you need to change it out. The energy conserving products will affect clutchs and not in a good way. They were designed for automotive engine applications by having a different viscosity modifier in the additive package. Safe riding. 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good info. thanks. ive been reading a bunch and i think its fine to run this oil. i might go and change back to a 10-40 when i do my next change myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts