M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding home from a bike night last night and was in a small group of cars on a 6 lane highway going about 60 in a 65. Well I thought lets get out of this bunch of cagers, so instead of down shifting I just hit the throttle in fifth and took off around the cars.
TOOK OFF I did... somehow the throttle got stuck open; all the way open... I lifted my hand from the grip and still the throttle stayed wide open. The next thing I know I was a mile farther down the road and 150 on the speedo had came and gone. The needle was buried and I was gaining speed. Finally after multiple attempts to move the grip back and forth I very quickly downshifted (I know...IDIOT) and the throttle came back under control at the exact same time. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Well, guess what happens next? Yep! The rear end got really wild on me and fishtailed for what seemed like forever. Next I (GOD and his Angels) got the bike under control and I was about a car link from riding up the tailpipe of a cager with no where else to go. Luckily by this point I was slowed enough to stay behind the cager and ride it out to the exit I needed.
I really didn't get nerveous until I got home about 5 minutes later, uhhh welllll then I had a strong drink and toasted the massive speed and handling of the 109. I have had many other cruisers and although they were great bikes I don't think I would have made it through alive.

Please be carefull out there and make sure your throttle assemblies are working properly! :eek:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
wow, heck of a story. please check your throttle for a sticking point and let me know what ya come up with. i sure wouldnt like to be in that situation. for now i wont punch it in 5th. lol.

·
Registered
849 Posts
109r,
Sounds like a problem that occurs when people make changes in handlebars. At any rate, I'm glad you're still with us. Did you try the kill switch? Key? Just curious in case it ever happens to me. I've buried the speedometer a couple of times since I made the JSD3M mod and that speed, I don't want any surpises. Thanks for the heads up.
Jerbear

·
Registered
752 Posts
It is a double throttle cable. I adjusted mine when I had the left aircleaner off. Man was it loose. Makes me wonder if his is loose too and it someohow snagged on something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interesting story, glad things worked out for you.  Why not pull in the clutch and flip the kill switch???

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
quote-"Finally after multiple attempts to move the grip back and forth I very quickly downshifted (I know...IDIOT) and the throttle came back under control at the exact same time. "

heres your answer.

G

·
Wow,,man glad your o.k.....I had this happen once before(long ago),,except on a busy road,,,,I had no time to react,,,but instinct told me,pull in the clutch and flip the kill....saved my hide.... :bigthumbsup: again glad you o.k.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as the "clutch and kill switch" combination, I wasn't thinking too clearly going that fast unintentionally and dodging traffic and as soon as I started to do that the throttle returned to normal.

Yea, I made the limiter/retarder kit myself and installed it a couple weeks ago... Wow!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rice Burner said:
Why not pull in the clutch and flip the kill switch???
Everyone should take heed of this advice - it COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE! :eek:

If you've ridden motocross and you are WFO on the trails and your throttle cable breaks, this is something you learn to do (or should have done) immediately.

(The second thing you learn is that if you go riding aways from home that you should have a spare throttle cable handy.) :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
109ster said:
As far as the "clutch and kill switch" combination, I wasn't thinking too clearly going that fast unintentionally and dodging traffic and as soon as I started to do that the throttle returned to normal.
MSF course would be a good investment. Scoff at the idea if you want, but the way you handled the situation was totally wrong. You're lucky you're still alive. Kill switch would have saved your ass much sooner.... before you had a chance to get to 150+. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
849 Posts
109er,
I know what you mean about not thinking too clearly. I've been in that soon to be dead situation before and you don't have a lot of time to make a decision. Again, I'm glad you're still with us. Now find out why the throttle was out to get you, so it doesn't happen again. Let us know when you figure out what went wrong.
Jer

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look, I know I didn't do everything right but I did manage to get it under control without dumping it and all is well.
I have been riding crotch-rockets and cruisers for over 20 years and this is my FIRST real close call, not that it can't happen again but how many of you can say that?

I just thought I would tell my story while giving everyone a heads up as to a possible issue across the board.

SOLUTION: I did find the dual throttle cable very, very loose which was a tip posted earlier in this thread by ppridgen1. THANKS!
After retensioning the throttle cable everything seems to be fine. I had original grips at the time.

Be Safe! :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You looked down at speedometer doing 150+ mph ? I done 170mph before and wouldn't think of taking my eyes off the road.

·
Registered
210 Posts
109ster,

After the emergency is over we can all think of what we could have done better. The main thing is that you did something and didn't freeze and become a greasy spot on the back of someone's car.

I've been in spots like that before, fortunately not on a motorcycle. I know how it feels.

Very happy you made it. Ride safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts