M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed all of the 150mph talk kinda went away lately, and I was wondering where it went. Has everyone done it like it was no big deal and forgotten that it was once a milestone on this board?

I only ask because.......

I was riding along this afternoon, looked up at the sky, remembered something about "scattered thunderstorms" in the forecast, and saw rain on the near horizon, about 80 degrees of my forward view, on my right side. I was about only about 40 miles from my destination and cruising with the sparse traffic at around 80. As I was calculating whether I'd beat the rain, a (laugh all u want) 80s vintage pontiac 6000 rushes by me doing a little over 90. That snapped me out of my timidity, and I rode with that thing until I found my comfortable high speed crouch for the first time (barely any wind at all) then I came upon a stretch with no cars in either direction and straight, flat road as far as I could see, so.....

I kicked into 4th, opened the throttle all the way, shifted into 5th when the acceleration slowed, and held the throttle open for awhile.

I felt very stable, no shaking, just the wind and the engine smoothly singing in the background, like a chorus holding a long chord coming to crecendo,..... glanced down at the speedo and it was about 2 needlewidths past 150, didnt get a chance to look at the tach.

When my eyes flashed back to the road, I got out of the throttle and started thinking again.... that wasn't that bad. I had no issues, not one. It was peaceful in fact.

I brought it back down to around 95, stayed in the left lane, and pulled into the garage just as the tank was collecting raindrops. Perfect timing, another incredible ride on this bada$$ machine.

This bike f&*^ing rocks! It is one of the best experiences of my life, and it's just beginning.

Thanks to the guys on this board for clearing the wayfor a new life to begin, thanks to Jeff at JSD for a great product.

:a18:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think you're right. From my point of view, I buried the needle a couple of times and then got to the I know it's got it so I don't really need to use it all the time.
jer

·
Registered
291 Posts
I haven't been up that high but in the neighborhood and my issue is always having my feet feeling like they are going to get blown off the pegs. Also, before I got the windshield, I felt like my head was getting buffeted around like crazy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
No 150's for me... yet.
But I will say this thing is scary easy to break 100mph in. around here when the traffic is light to medium it flows around 85mph (some of it anyway) and someone ahead of me was belching disgusting smoke and choking me to death, SO first chance I get I zip around. Of course someone else want to do the same so I twisted the grip a little more. I was at 100+ in no time! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Sledzep

·
Registered
166 Posts
bad109 said:
you guys are nuts. :bigthumbsup:
Hate to break it to ya, you bought this bike also, so your also nuts, some nuts just have a little more zip in them though and some are a little more mildly flavored :joke:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my bike going 150++ with ease, it felt like I was going to fly off the bike. I wonder have fast the bike will actually go?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
MYM109R said:
Hate to break it to ya, you bought this bike also, so your also nuts, some nuts just have a little more zip in them though and some are a little more mildly flavored :joke:
how true. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
vipermike said:
I just had my bike going 150++ with ease, it felt like I was going to fly off the bike. I wonder have fast the bike will actually go?
Same here..after the JSD install ,,,I had to know....and agree,,,with the slight crosswinds,,,and that speed,,even tucked in,,it was a bit wobbly to say the least...a tank slaper felt right around the corner...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Lamonster said:
Now that I have a GPS on my bike I can tell you that the speedo is very optimistic. ::)
:eek: :p :joke:

Gotta love that wording Lamont.. But just out of curiousity, what IS the top GPS speed you've gotten? hmmmmmm?? 8)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lamonster said:
I would say the faster you go the more off it is. At 90 on the speedo I'm doing about 80 on the GPS.
That's what I was thinking. After looking at the posts calculating what RPM is required to reach 150, I didn't think I was near 7000 rpms, as the bike was still pulling very well. i expect that the pull will "flatten out" at the top of the revs, like in the lower gears.

I felt very stable at the speeds though, maybe because I weigh 270?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lamonster said:
Now that I have a GPS on my bike I can tell you that the speedo is very optimistic. ::)
We're also expecting a report about the top speed on your GPS achieved on this trip. :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
DHandyman said:
:eek: :p :joke:

Gotta love that wording Lamont.. But just out of curiousity, what IS the top GPS speed you've gotten? hmmmmmm?? 8)
Yesterday it was 122 mph, I've had the Boss up to 155 mph but I started thinking about my kids and stuff so I backed it down. ;) The Boss starts to float at 155 and you don't want to float on a 1200 lb motorcycle. :eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
For reference, all of my mid eighties sportbikes (750s) would barely do 150. I had an FZ-750 and a 88 GSX-R750, and they would have to be pinned for a while to approach 150. 1000cc sportbikes of that era would show 165 on a long stretch. My point? We're on a cruiser man! BTW, had a 2001 Dyna Sport TC88. 110 pinned.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
J R said:
...I can put some nitromethene in it tho and get a 150 or whatever the gearing will allow for in 5th gear and redline and post a gps reading when i get back just for braggin rights tho :D However your results may vary ;) :bigthumbsup:
Nitromethane......

LOVE that smell :doorag: :evil:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lamonster said:
I think this is true of the Suzuki cruisers in general.....and possible most bikes from some reports I have read. My Volusia was also around 6-8 % off.....until the speedo just died on it. I need to get the replacement part for that so I can get the bike sold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts