M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just completed a 1450 mile trip from Orange County California through the National Parks of Southern Utah and back. The 9 performed flawlessly from Death Valley below sea level to Cedar Breaks national monument at 10,600 feet above sea level.

My riding partner was my brother in law with a 2007 VTX 1300, a competent touring bike. The surprises were that the 109 consistently got better gas mileage than the VTX by a couple miles per gallon. My worst mileage was 40 mpg, my best was 56. Yeah, amazing huh? Before this trip the best I ever got was 35 but there were long stretches of cruising at no more than 50 mph enjoying the views. At home I've always got the throttle twisted beyond the sanity spot so good mileage is not one of the things I brag about.

The VTX with carbs ran rich at the higher elevations, popped on decel and got worse mileage. The 109 fuel injection was flawless and ran as well at 10,000 plus feet as at sea level.

As always, every stop the 109 drew a crowd.

I just installed the Rifle windshield and it was excellent. Also the new Brakeaway cruise control worked beautifully and made the trip much more enjoyable. By the way, the Brakeaway cruise does not fit on the 109 with the Cyclehouse aftermarket levers... but with bending the anchor bracket and a little persuasion I was able to get it to work perfectly. A must have for the loooooooong trip.

I just put on a new set of Dunnie E-3 250's before the trip. It's hard to compare your last worn out tires (Metzler 260 on the rear) against the new tires, but I believe the new Dunnies handle better. The bike was happier than I've ever felt it leaning into the turns and back out and seemed to handle lighter, with less input. Right now I'd say I'm pretty happy with the Dunnies (my 3rd set of tires on this bike that now has 9500 miles - Yeah, I run it pretty hard through the twisties)

Weather was perfect except for the last leg from Vegas to OC. It was 102 degrees and miserable. We both wear perforated armored jackets and found that soaking our shirts in water and wearing them under the jackets created a perfect swamp cooler effect and saved our lives. We also frequently dumped water on our jeans and gloves. 80 mph in 102 degrees is enough to make you swear off riding without improvising a bit.

If you are ever planning the Southern Utah trip drop me a line - happy to help with routing and must sees. It's my second time through and I believe it is among the most beautiful rides on the planet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Kirkcb
The wife and I visited southern Utah and northern Arizona last year (14 different parks) and I wished I was on my bike everyday. I'm so jealous. Cedar Breaks was still closed in May due to snow,so we didn't see that one. Got any pics?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Me and my brother did 1980 miles in california including some national parks. sequoia, yosemite, kings canyon, mono lake, death valley, us 1 pacific coast, Sanfrancisco. it was a beautifull site, but the temp in death valley was up to 130deg. that day. this weekend i be taking a trip to the florida keys... on the 109

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Great read, thanks for sharing it with us. :bigthumbsup:

I'd love to do a long ride some time, maybe do a top to bottom of the U.S. type of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.