M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT

tappet shims,if not done then ure exhaust/inlet valves burn out!

14000 is the book inspection time!ive done 18000!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
That's a great price, I've seen it quoted at from $600 to $750 in US dollars.

I have 22,500 on mine and they still haven't been checked. Of the ones I've seen posted on here, none have had to have them adjusted more than .001 or .002, and only a valve or two. They tend to get tighter as they get miles on them.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
sounds like to me, just another unnecessary deal at the stealers. Job security?? If they need adjusting , yes, but just to do it cause the manual says to take it in? hmmmmmmm Keep clean oil in them and things shouldn't wear an awful lot ..

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
sounds like to me, just another unnecessary deal at the stealers. Job security?? If they need adjusting , yes, but just to do it cause the manual says to take it in? hmmmmmmm Keep clean oil in them and things shouldn't wear an awful lot ..
Nemo, the shims and rockers don't wear that much, but the valves recess in the head a little more. That's why they tighten up instead of getting loose. And the bad thing about getting tight is there's no noise involved, so you burn an exhaust valve if they get too tight. I'd really rather have them loosen so you have some idea they need adjustment.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Nemo, the shims and rockers don't wear that much, but the valves recess in the head a little more. That's why they tighten up instead of getting loose. And the bad thing about getting tight is there's no noise involved, so you burn an exhaust valve if they get too tight. I'd really rather have them loosen so you have some idea they need adjustment.
so true, Do these 9's have the hard seats on the valves,, I mean in the heads?? When I read your first post , that was the only wear I could think of was the valves recessing in the seats, and yes that would tighten them.I guess when things get too quite and running like a champ, we better get valves adjusted LOL

edit, my c-50 I had them checked twice in the few miles I put on it, They seemed to noisy to me but stealer twice said they were fine. The c 50 was only $175 for valve check adjustment

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My dealer did it at 28k for $200. They found two that were slightly loose so they adjusted. I suspect it was that way from the factory as tappet design usually tightens. They tried to make it $300 for the extra labor but I made them honor the quote.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Amen:bigthumbsup:........Ive built engines since I was a kid, so I belive in, do it yourself and save. I checked them at 5000 miles and naturally they were fine, had the tank and air box out anyway, so what the heck, gave it a check...LOL

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The c 50 was only $175 for valve check adjustment
That is all the 9 should be. It isn't hard, or take a ton of time to pull the air box and the valve covers to check. The dealers try to build in the full charge if they had to adjust. My dealer told me $200 out the door. I told him that I fully know the bike and how it is done, just don't feel like dealing with it. So, I said "Jim, you do know that you have to pull the cams if you have to swap out the shims right"? He said yep...we know. So, of course I asked him how it could be $200. He told me they play the law of averages as nobody has had to have them adjusted. Then, when it was time to pick it up I got the crybaby sob story how he had to pay his tech an extra 1.75 hours to pull the cams and do the 2 shim swaps. I told him that I had gone over the price 3 times, twice in person, and don't even go there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Since my bike was recently in for a clutch repair they checked the shims clearances and found them all to be in specs.

30500 miles on the bike.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
That is all the 9 should be. It isn't hard, or take a ton of time to pull the air box and the valve covers to check. The dealers try to build in the full charge if they had to adjust. My dealer told me $200 out the door. I told him that I fully know the bike and how it is done, just don't feel like dealing with it. So, I said "Jim, you do know that you have to pull the cams if you have to swap out the shims right"? He said yep...we know. So, of course I asked him how it could be $200. He told me they play the law of averages as nobody has had to have them adjusted. Then, when it was time to pick it up I got the crybaby sob story how he had to pay his tech an extra 1.75 hours to pull the cams and do the 2 shim swaps. I told him that I had gone over the price 3 times, twice in person, and don't even go there.
I'm glad you stuck to your guns Harris!!!! I asked them the same on the C 50. for i read up on the procedure in the shop manual. Which by the way is for sale in classifieds here, LOL

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I'm glad you stuck to your guns Harris!!!! I asked them the same on the C 50. for i read up on the procedure in the shop manual. Which by the way is for sale in classifieds here, LOL
When I called they gave me the price and we had the conversation. I went in with Mary to look at gear, and talked to him in person. I also talked to him in person when I dropped the bike off. After all that, they screwed up stuff and I had to go fix it. I was livid and let them know. Missed the side spacer on the air box, put the main air plenum on wrong and I am not going to get into how bad they messed up my led's. I had already cut all the wires off as I had done a really cool quick disconnect harness for Mary. Figured that was the time to do it for me and clean it all up. I had led's broken off and laying around as well as the other issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts