M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got mine up to 130 this weekend. With a half helmet and WileyX glasses on, that was a bit too fast, but it was crazy fun while doing it. I had to slow it down when air started getting through the pads on the glasses and watering my eyes. I like this bike best at a 55 - 65 mph cruise, but it's so sweet to crack the throttle and be at 100 in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first bike and a hell of a bike it is. I’ve only been brave enough to get to 100 so far. I enjoy just cruising the speed limit and taking it all in. But I know when I start ridding with the guys I’ll find myself twisting the throttle more and more.

·
Registered
525 Posts
moose11 said:
What is a tank slapper. Had mine up to about 95 wow. :D :eek:
A tank slapper is a very very bad thing. The handle bars uncontrollably flop back and forth. On sport bikes, the bars can actually hit the tank.

·
Registered
343 Posts
cdaniel76 said:
Got mine up to 130 this weekend. With a half helmet and WileyX glasses on, that was a bit too fast, but it was crazy fun while doing it. I had to slow it down when air started getting through the pads on the glasses and watering my eyes. I like this bike best at a 55 - 65 mph cruise, but it's so sweet to crack the throttle and be at 100 in a couple seconds.Â
You sure you weren't doing 180 mph?????? :D :D :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
you know i never thought about it , had mine up to 140, was the last time i look down. makes me think i'll quit that stuff. 95 or 110 fast enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys are studds, I took my hammer up to 120 and found it a little windy at that speed. Still had plenty of RPM's to the red line. I'll be home in a week and will check the M109R's out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
moose11 said:
Here's a link:
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2234

Sportbikes will often utilize a steering damper to negate this effect.

I took my 109 up to around 100 MPH...........felt very stable to me at this speed. This is the first cruiser I've owned. All my other bikes have been sportbikes, and I currently own a 2006 Honda CBR1000RR.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have been to indicated 130 myself and didn't notice any wobble.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well, had mine up to 135 this weekend. 8) Stupid I know, but no helmet or glasses. Wow was it windy and hard to see!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
moose11 said:
You'll know when it happens the first time. Just don't panic. Pull over to let your heart reboot and to clean out your shorts. The first time I had a tank slapper I had to pull off the side of the road and relax for like a half hour as I was sure I was going to die.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You don't need to be going 100+ or anywhere near that to invoke a tank slappa. It is caused by sympathetic vibration. It all depends on the road, the wind direction, and the bike's geometry.

I got into one at around 60 in a pop-up sun shower a couple of summers ago. I recovered it somehow, I don't really know how. It all happened so fast. It was probably like 3 seconds, but it was like slow motion, so it seemed like half a hour. When this happens, it is all panic and instinct. Rational thought is not really possible. Your whole life flashes in front of you.

Parked it in the breakdown lane, sat in the grass, and smoked about a half a pack of Winstons before I could throw a leg back over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to site...just found this browsing. Been to 135 myself, BUT with a windshield (slipstream brand with mods to put on handlebar clamps) and no problems at all....except for being upset with myself for not going for it ALL. Still don't know what stock top end is!!!!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts