M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dontknow:Maybe I am missing something but I can't find a simple answer to where to get 12v to hook up a GPS. I have done quite a bit of searching but maybe I am just dense. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Bartman

·
Registered
843 Posts
:dontknow:Maybe I am missing something but I can't find a simple answer to where to get 12v to hook up a GPS. I have done quite a bit of searching but maybe I am just dense. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Bartman
found mines at walmart (cigarette lighter adapter) had the shop install it in between the riser and the head lamp wall.

G

·
which GPS do you have? I know Garmin offers a "hard wire" option for motorcycle/atv/whatever applications

or you can buy a handle bar mounted 12V power outlet made for motorcycles....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You will find 12 volts under the headlight.But i would hook it up directly to the battery.

·
Registered
843 Posts
my wires run to the battery as well, its just the unit itself is mounded to the wall of the headlamp. I use a nuvi 1350 gps unit with the ram mount between the risers. it looks neat and I get alot of people who ask if my bike came with the gps option??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which Wires exactly.

I think I will get it from the headlight that circuit is on as long as the key is on. :)
But what colors am I looking for, I have not tore it apart yet I wanted to have a little more of an Idea before I attack that. I am going to take apart my 12V cigarette adapter and wire it directly to the 12V My Unit (el cheapo from microcenter $60) I made a Lex an piece to go between the 2 supports for my handlebars and put super duper Velcro on it. It looks pretty good as long as I have the gps on it. It looks kinda hokey without the gps there tho. I will post some pics later.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The problem with using the headlight wire for power is you will need to choose between hi and low beam.

You will likely choose low because it is on more often, but you can avoid the problem.

Get your power from the running light wire on either side under the headlight.

They are always on whit the key regardless of hi or low beam.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Thanks Square Rounder. I think that is the ticket. You guys are sure on top of it. I get better response from here than if I were to call Suzuki tech support! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I ran my power wire directly to battery and then grounded it under the front headlight and placed the cigarette light in the back of narcelle no one even knows it there

G

·
which GPS do you have? I know Garmin offers a "hard wire" option for motorcycle/atv/whatever applications

or you can buy a handle bar mounted 12V power outlet made for motorcycles....
+1...My Garmin mount is the power source. I just ran the wire along the frame under the tank and over to the battery. No real need to mount a separate power outlet...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,093 Posts
I have one of the Walmart 12V outlets on mine too, mounted on top of the lower triple tree. I ran the ground to a bolt in the headlight and the power to a power block I have on the left side of the bike. It's powered on all the time and I've used it to charge my cell phone a couple times.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
guys, I know we are all looking for easy and clean ways to do our add-ins, but we are setting up for a possible melt down or electrical fire.
avoid taking power other than the battery with an added fuse

take a look at the size of the wires on this bike, it was not design for added taps

a melt down will be an expensive fix
or send it to me for half what the dealer charge and it will still be expensive.
I've help a friend with a small melt down, at no charge, it was $483 in parts... I had about 4 Hr solid it this repair. . . the dealer wanted $1,200+ for this repair
:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
So if I understand you Listan ,
bring 12 volts from battery to wherever needed ,
like here needed in the nacelle,
put a fuse on this last wire
and use a relay that is triggered from the
(Orange/green line )wire to have power only when key is ON.
I's that the correct way ?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
guys, I know we are all looking for easy and clean ways to do our add-ins, but we are setting up for a possible melt down or electrical fire.
avoid taking power other than the battery with an added fuse

take a look at the size of the wires on this bike, it was not design for added taps

a melt down will be an expensive fix
or send it to me for half what the dealer charge and it will still be expensive.
I've help a friend with a small melt down, at no charge, it was $483 in parts... I had about 4 Hr solid it this repair. . . the dealer wanted $1,200+ for this repair
:dontknow:
I would agree for general power needs, but GPS's have an internal battery.

The power drawn is just to charge that battery and only draws 500ma at 5V.

So, If I have the math right on the conversion, that is about .2A on the 12V system.

That .2A is just about the same amount of power it takes to operate a relay to switch power on a wire straight from the battery.

So, if the wire can run a relay, it will be fine charging a GPS.

We are talking about a 15A fuse if I recall correctly. It can easily handle an additional .2A draw.

Now, do not go using that running light wire to run an outlet that you plan on using for anything other than to charge a GPS or phone, but for those purposes, it is just fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I installed this cigarette lighter (witch is very expensive,,but i got it with points from my local dealership) and one of those power plates from DLP..This way my cigarette lighter,,alarm,,and stebel horn all can be powered up safely..

·
Registered
265 Posts
here is a shot with the GPS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.