M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after a short ride I smelled the dredded antifreeze smell and the fan was running all the time. Rode it home and shut it off. This AM I went into the garage with owners man. in hand to figure out the problem and a quater sized dab of oil had leaked out of the aircleaner on the left side. 1200 miles and the first sevice was 500+ miles ago...no problems til now.

No antifreeze registered and no oil registered when it was cold and I am a bit afraid to let it run to check the oil as the man. says.

I need some counsel and the best way to go about fixing the problem. Local dealer has an extreme attitude and the service manager is still in diapers.

I trust your counsel about this bike more than suzuki motor corp. Wisdom, oh wise and learned ones, is what I long for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Take it to the dealer...I'm so pissed right now...when I took mine in for the 600 mile service I told him to check the clamps and cautioned about the oil overfill...well you can gues what happens next can't you...Oil Over filled, had to take it back twice before they got it right...and at 800 mile the coolant leak... :verymad: :edit: :verymad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, but can anyone sum up or show the links to correct this? I have no confidence in the dealer and I have worked on drag racers all my life...bikes are new to me. Easier to depend on me than the dealer. I guess I'll go if I have to, but would rather not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
the clamp that usually causes the coolant leak is down under the tank and very hard to get to. if you're not familiar with the bike or working on bikes , you'd better let someone else get to it. if service was over 500 miles ago , i would think you would've had an oil problem way before now. look for another dealership you can take it to. not all dealers are the same. mine is super about things. i have my 3rd bike from them and would never say a negative thing about their service. ( they've fixed a few things for me that had nothing to do with warranty; i just screwed them up , myself)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
drop the oil and and do the change word for word according to the owners manual. simple, since you dont need to replace the filter. you have to remove the airbox, clean it out, and probably replace the filters. its like i said before, anytime you buy a 109 or the dealer changes the oil, check it yourself before leaving the parking lot.  :edit:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If your progressively riding your bike harder as you put more miles on it, that could be why the oil came out when it did. The more rpm's you run, the more apt it's going to come out. Same with the coolant leak. It seems to show up a little later when we all start running our bikes a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
jaded_idealist said:
thanks for the reply, but can anyone sum up or show the links to correct this? I have no confidence in the dealer and I have worked on drag racers all my life...bikes are new to me. Easier to depend on me than the dealer. I guess I'll go if I have to, but would rather not.
Dont listen to them. If you can wrench on other things you can do this.It was not very hard to do. I even took the throttle body off. Follow the manual (lots of connectiosn) it was not bad. Also read the PCII/Airbox thread in the how to section

The main things to know are...

Buy new clamps because some of those are too big and as tight as they can go already...
AND
when re assembling leave the throttlebody to motor clamps loose when putting the airbox on. Also lightly lubricate the rubber seals on the airbox connecting tubes (that connect to the top of the throttle bodies)
This will help them pop right on. if you need a little more help wdge something in between the front cylinder and the throttle body to give it a little movement and it was easy for me.

The lubrication was the real key though

Sledzep

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an 06 silver.

Thanks a mil gents! This site is awesome. I can do this myself, but, if I do take it to a dealer, I will know what needs to be done. Helps me cut through the BS.

Thanks again! Jaded

PS I'll keep you informed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts