M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
most of them i've heard, most of them i've never believed. but, the one about splitting lanes is new to me. found it interesting to know

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i read that a while back. i love the thing about lane splitting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good read . . thanks for the link :bigthumbsup:

. . . but green bikes are bad luck ! :joke: :joke: :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey 2 bikes are easier to see than one and who can miss 4 or more? It does feel a bit crowded sometimes though if you ride with a retard er I mean special boy.I used to ride with a fella who'd wander well past 1/2 the lane I hate that with out notice of intent ,bastard actually clipped my peg once, now I don't ride with 'im anymore too many close calls.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Myth 10: It's Better to Stay in Your Lane than Split Lanes

In most parts of the world, motorcycles split lanes all the time, everywhere traffic is heavy. Here in the U.S., people often act as if lane-splitting is insane. But when someone actually studied it in the only place in the U.S. where it's legal (California), they discovered it's actually slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic. Still many motorcyclists berate others who do it, when they should in fact be endorsing it.
If they are referring to riding two abreast as lane splitting, then it is legal in Tennessee and Alabama, also. It's just us non-CA folks understand the dangers more. Just because most parts of the world do it doesn't make it safe. Note how they word the above "slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic." Yup...in traffic jams I can see doing it, but anything over 30 mph..and I want my WHOLE lane.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Read that when it came out ....very good info ......Thanks for posting. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Good Read!

I have read it before...

I still believe that loud pipes save lives. If 1 cager recognizes me before doing something stupid just beacuse of my pipes, then that it makes them worth it...
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
wildwolf said:
If they are referring to riding two abreast as lane splitting, then it is legal in Tennessee and Alabama, also. It's just us non-CA folks understand the dangers more. Just because most parts of the world do it doesn't make it safe. Note how they word the above "slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic." Yup...in traffic jams I can see doing it, but anything over 30 mph..and I want my WHOLE lane.
What they mean by lane splitting, is riding between the lines of slow-moving or stopped cars in two dfferent lanes. I can see how in many situations it would be safer in traffic. I've been in a situation on the freeway (in my cage) where I was the last person to realize that all of the traffic in front of me was stopped. So, I was subsequently rear-ended by the next cager that came up behind me not paying attention. Fortunately, I was in a full size pickup truck with high-back seats, and it was at low enough speed not to do much damage. However, it would have been much worse to get hit on my bike. So splitting lanes and getting away from the end of the traffic line is definitely beneficial.

As for your other point, yes I only do it in traffic below 30-35 mph. I see guys sometimes on the freeway splitting traffic at 65-70mph. That's just stupid, too much can happen too fast at those speeds.

A lot of cagers here in California don't know that it is legal to do it, and some of them get really mad because they're stuck in traffic and you're not. They'll honk their horns, or yell out the window at you, or if they see you coming sometimes they'll even try to crowd the lane so there's not enough room for you to get by. But that kind of stuff doesn't happen to me very often and I ride eveyday.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wasnt there some radio personality out there that urged people to open thier doors at passing motorcyclists? I believe it was on Bay Area Riders Forum.......Ill look for it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
horseplay said:
I'm wondering if anyone logged a formal complaint with the FCC over this... I'm pretty darn certain that this is one of those things that will get a stations liscense pulled or at least put under review very, very quickly. :realmad: :realmad:

Also, on the subject of lane splitting.. Being in Cali at the moment and sitting next to a form CHP trooper in my class (he's also a motocycle rider) we were talking about lane splitting yesterday. He said that splitting hasn't actually been legal in Cali for some time, but its one of those laws that they were told to not bother enforcing unless you have to pull the person over for something else. :dontknow:

Not sure how accurate a statement that is, but I interviewed the guy for his job and according to his resume he was a CHP trooper for just over 6 years. I think lane spliting kicks ass by the way.. although I'm relatively sure that I'd never do it on my 9 just cause its too damned wide to fit between cars safely. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts