M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my 87 GSX-R1100 engine is toast last night. Not sure what came first, but piston hit valves, valve breaks rocker, rocker falls into cylinder, piston explodes and demolishes #3 combustion chamber. I'll probably need a new engine. At minimum, I'd need a head, and possibly a new cylinder kit. Not sure about crank yet.

Anyone out there have a line on an engine for me? I would imagine all air cooled 1100s would work, and I've even considered a 1200 Bandit as a donor. Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bad luck. Don't know your location but you might want to look at this auction, it's at $500 now.

eBay Item number: 110007317238

LG

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LionsGate said:
Bad luck. Don't know your location but you might want to look at this auction, it's at $500 now.

eBay Item number: 110007317238

LG
Lion's Gate, you are the man! I've already been in contact with the guy and it looks good. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
bollert said:
I just found out my 87 GSX-R1100 engine is toast last night. Not sure what came first, but piston hit valves, valve breaks rocker, rocker falls into cylinder, piston explodes and demolishes #3 combustion chamber. I'll probably need a new engine. At minimum, I'd need a head, and possibly a new cylinder kit. Not sure about crank yet.

Anyone out there have a line on an engine for me? I would imagine all air cooled 1100s would work, and I've even considered a 1200 Bandit as a donor. Thanks
not all engines are the same. a slight change from one year to the next could make life hell and thats if you stay with the same model. changing models could be a lot of work. not to mention modifying or changing the wire harness. people do it all the time, then bring it to us when they can't figure it out. then they wonder why the bill is so high.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just like LG said, same year and all is well. It is stock too, so that's a good thing. Mine was built, with yosh cams, big bore, ported heads, mikuni smoothbores/cables/controls, etc. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it'll be a much better streetbike now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts