M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just brought my 9 from NY to St Louis via trailer. About 5 hours of the ride it pours. The 9 was on the back of the trailer the whole ride. About 7 hours before the rain and 6 hours after the rain. I have aftermarket K&N Air Intakes. The bike started rough & would stall when left to idle. Black smoke pushed out when I hit the throttle. The bike rain for a 1/2 mile the when I pulled to clutch in to see if it would keep the idle it stalled again. After another mile I stopped to meet more bikes for about 5 minutes. After that the bike doesn't want to start. It turns over without issue, the FI light comes on & stays on after it cranks. Took the intakes off to check for moisture but didn't feel any in past the cone (bike wouldn't start with the cones off either). Looking for some help on what this could be.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The plug wires/coils may be wet. Try drying out the ignition system and see what happens. Due to design, there's no real way for water to get up in the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took out the rear plug coil & it appeared dry. Checked for spark but the battery was run down by then & it is now on the charger.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
After 24 houre or so it should dry out and start. I am thinking since this came up just recently the big socket under the speedo is wet and shorting out. JMO an idea

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Took out the rear plug coil & it appeared dry. Checked for spark but the battery was run down by then & it is now on the charger.
You know there's 3 others right? If it ran before your trip, it must be something wet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That one was the easier to get to but probably the least likely to get wet. I have check the fuses & hoping it is not a ECU issue now. Had that happen with the Busa.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Just brought my 9 from NY to St Louis via trailer. About 5 hours of the ride it pours. The 9 was on the back of the trailer the whole ride. About 7 hours before the rain and 6 hours after the rain. I have aftermarket K&N Air Intakes. The bike started rough & would stall when left to idle. Black smoke pushed out when I hit the throttle. The bike rain for a 1/2 mile the when I pulled to clutch in to see if it would keep the idle it stalled again. After another mile I stopped to meet more bikes for about 5 minutes. After that the bike doesn't want to start. It turns over without issue, the FI light comes on & stays on after it cranks. Took the intakes off to check for moisture but didn't feel any in past the cone (bike wouldn't start with the cones off either). Looking for some help on what this could be.
Did you pull the code?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did not pull the codes. Is it the same trick as other Suzuki bikes where you can use a paperclip to jump the connection?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Did not pull the codes. Is it the same trick as other Suzuki bikes where you can use a paperclip to jump the connection?
LOL I used to do that with my roomates harley in the Black Hills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you figure out what it was? I went out to start my '07 last night and it just turns over but won't start. Almost like it's out of gas. I was on my way to work so I couldn't check the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Could it be anything else?

Sent from my Pimp iPhone using "Slapahoe"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the Power Commander 10 prong plug that is on the box itself did not have a cover on it. Of course it was installed facing the top & the large amounts of rain I trailered the bike through must have gotten into the PC. Changed all the spark plugs which were black then disconnected the PC. The bike started right up. Reconnected the Power Commander & the bike would not start. I do not have my 9v battery power adapter or my Windows laptop so I cannot see if the mapping was reset, just erased or the PC is just trashed. That will have to wait a couple weeks till I get back home. The bike does run now without the PC & with new plugs. Thank you everyone for your help. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
No problem, I'll pm you where to send the check....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts