M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any impute as to how the 109 would compare to the Rocket III as far as power, handling, etc?
Barry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ppridgen1

Have you riden the Triumph? How do you feel it compares to the 109 for power and torque. 109 faster, slower, about the same?

Barry

·
Registered
18 Posts
My friend/riding buddy has one and has let me ride it a couple of times. I actually think my 109 handles a little better and when both are in bone stock form I think the 109 looks a little cooler.

Having ridden both though I wouldn't recommend racing one if you can help it...

·
Registered
898 Posts
MV said:
My friend/riding buddy has one and has let me ride it a couple of times. I actually think my 109 handles a little better and when both are in bone stock form I think the 109 looks a little cooler.

Having ridden both though I wouldn't recommend racing one if you can help it...
things that make you go hmmm....

khrome

G

·
The Rocket III has 20 lbs more torque stock and 15 lbs more hp. I don't like the looks but do not mess with one.

TAZ

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Rocket III has the 109 beat by 500cc with its 2300cc engine, for a engine that size the performance is not impressive.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BigBoreBiker said:
The Rocket III has the 109 beat by 500cc with its 2300cc engine, for a engine that size the performance is not impressive.
You know that's kind of how the 109 stands against the V-Rod, but that doesn't keep people here from getting happy about beating a V-Rod. Given that logic, compared to the V-Rod, our engine performance shouldn't be that impressive since it's 600cc larger and only a few HP more than the V-Rod.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a chance at Bike Week earlier this year to test the Rocket III, V-rod and Screaming Eagle V-rod. I later purchase my current 109.

The regular V-rod was understandable the most mundane of the 4. A lot of peeps like to compare the rod to the 109 but after I got past some of the styling, I found they are really strikingly different bikes. Sitting on the rod I almost felt like I wasn’t on a bike at all. At least compared to the Triumph or 109. The V-rod had very much a "just you and the road" kind of feeling. The Rod also likes to rev a bit more than the 109. You defiantly know you have an extra 2500-3000 RPM to play with.  I would say that the 109 takes it from 3000-6000 RPM but after that the rod takes over. All in all I think its a wash, all depending on what kind of feeling you want out of a bike.  The rod was defiantly more maneuverable than the 109. It gave the bike an almost sport-bike kind of feeling. I really believe that if you get a chance to test ride both you'll like either one or the other, but not both. They were really that different of a bike to me.

I had really looked forward to getting on the screaming eagle v-rod so I got back in line and was on one about 15 minutes after testing the normal V-rod. But it ended up being kind of a let down. The only thing that stood out was the paint job. It was very cool with the frame painted a fluorescent orange the rest painted bright silver with some cool graphics mixed in. But SOTP performance I found it very hard to justify the $28,000 price tag. That’s a good 10 to 12 grand more for about a 15HP gain?!? Not worth it if you asked me, but then again it might be a Harley thing. I was only able to go about the 11 mile test loop on both these bike but even so I found it hard to believe that either one could beat the 109, at least street light to street light.

The Triumph Rocket III was another bike I had thoroughly looked forward to getting some seat time on.  Now I know the Rocket has a face only a mother (or the British) could love but hey that’s just aesthetics, and to its advantage Corbin makes Beatle bags for it. One thing I found when sitting on the bike at an idle, every time you gave the throttle a good twist you could feel the whole bike wanting to flip over. A product of that giant in-line 3 I was sitting on. Very, very cool. Unlike the Harley’s, we test rode these bikes in a group formation, but we were lucky in that our leader gave  us a good bit of leeway, if I wanted to go a bit faster I could just pass the person in front  of me and keep going until I got to the leader him self. I ended up staying about 3 people back. Let me tell you that bike is a seriously fast and seriously fun bike to ride. It simply blows away anything else I’ve been on power-wise. The whole time I was on it I kept giggling to my self. The Rocket didn't handle as well as the V-rod. But was probably better than the 109, one would need a better rider than me to find that out. Thank god I wasn’t in a position to buy that day or I’d probably have one butt ugly bike in my driveway. Man what fun. Is it faster than the 109? Well let me put it this way.  This thing has 140HP and 147 FT LB torque on tap, I would think very, very carefully about tangling with one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own a Rocket and would be glad to answer any questions you might have. The Rocket is a quick bike for its size, and it handles very good (better than you might think). The Rocket is choked down for its engine size, the computer keeps the secondary intakes closed in the first three gears which holds back 7 to 10% of the power. It has a catalytic comverter and the intake is also restricted. Most Rocket Captains modify the intake and put different pipes and do a cat bypass which is legal in US. Is the Rocket faster than the 109? I really don't care personally. But you have a great looking bike and one of the best forums out there. I like to see what everyone is doing to their bikes. I also have a VTX 1300, so what you ride does'nt matter. I've seen a few 109s in my area(Longview, Texas)but have not had a chance to check one out up close. I really don't know where I was going with this but just to say hey, and let you know a little about the Roc ket.Here is a picture of mine.Â

·
Registered
12 Posts
:D I myself was very close to purchasing a Rocket lll before my 109, because a buddy at work let me take a spin on his and WOW!!!! have to say yes torque on tap..... the bike is also very nimble for it's size i'm only 170lbs and handled it with ease. The only reason I went with 109 because I think it fit me better, a different look than any other bike out there ( futuristic ) and had a good cross between cruiser & sportbike and besides I had already claimed The M109 when it was at the motorcycle show in Houston December 2005 and told all my friends that when it comes out it's going to be the best selling bike of the year. My buddy at work wants to hit'em both up soon and when we do I'll let you guy's know the outcome........ once again have to say AWESOME site thanks everyone involved.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ha biker1059
I went thru your home town on my way home from my Arkansas ride.
BTW i like the gold look on your bike.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic.  I like the Rocket.  It was on my short list this time.  I am curious what their exhaust sounds like? Also how are the brakes? I know they sure look roomy  :bigthumbsup: and well they are a rocket  :D but ultimately for me it was price and phat tire that made my descision. Nice bike I like riding something that not everyone has. To me that would be a big plus for the Triumph ;)

khrome

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
George C said:
BTW i like the gold look on your bike.
You do know that's just the sunlight on the grass reflecting in the chrome, right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Rocket does sound like John Deere at idle but sound pretty good when you romp on it. Would like to get a set of TORs which stands for Triumph Off Road, they are Triumph pipes that are opened up more and have a better sound. The brakes are awsome they will stop you on a dime.

·
Registered
844 Posts
2300 cc's -- and the guys are STILL interested in a supercharger! -- It just goes to show 'ya -- you can NEVER get enough.

Raocket III was also on my list before opting for the 109. Three things bothered me about it: The "pregnant mosquito" look, the relative paucity of Triumph dealers/techs etc., and the fact that i saw on one of their owner's web sites reference to "frame welds breaking". It seemed to me that even stock, this beast might have too much of a good thing.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
tomph1 said:
It seemed to me that even stock, this beast might have too much of a good thing.
You can never have too much. :evil:

Well maybe you can. :eek: :yikes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
My sentiments EXACTLY.

Notice -- the V-8 isn't enough either -- the guy's got NITROUS on that mother!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts