M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man ! I am at a cross roads, I am looking for a new bike and have decided it's between a 109R and a Yamaha Roadliner, the Roadliners I have found are new 2006 models and it's a good price, so the money difference is not an issue. I am just trying to find a reason to one over the other, I've done a lot of research and things are so close in my mind I can't make a choice.
Looking for all legitimate advise.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Easy.... test ride both.

Not as easy as above: More sport oriented? M109 More touring and/or old school, don't sit in traffic alot (air cooled), etc.? Yamahama mama

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you like performance the 109 has it ___Period :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you prefer the classic cruiser look (i.e. Harley Davidson etc) then go for the Yamaha if more into the sport muscle crusier look (i.e V-Rod, Warrior, Mean Streak etc) then the 109 will fit the bill perfectly.

My biased opinion....M109R all the way :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear ya Pool - i'm n the same sitch. Just got rid of my vtx. the longer stretched out alum frame on the strato / road (I'm 6'2 w/ 36 inseam) has a well balanced feel & longer stock flrbord set up. (I'd prbly change out to 'mini-flrbord w/ 4ward cntrls. Saw this look on a few Fatboys / Heritages.  Also, ran the mini's w/ 4ward cntrls on the vtx. 300 + miles a day wer no problemo.

the M also has a gr8 feel. I'll b deciding com Jan/Feb/Mar (when deals r best and /or buying used), & if sum cat / dist develups a solid 5-6 in' 4ward cntrls unit by then - wil prbly go the M route. Go 260 as soon as the tire wears thin. Throw anuther 3 K-ish n accesor n2 it, & then it's sham-a-lam-a ding dong, ya no whut i'm sayin'!Â

Apologize n advance 4 the shrt eng verbage. 1 bad vice frum dating yunger chickepos. Â
Â

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've test ridin' both. The yamaha shifted better and actually had pretty good power (more than i expected anyways). I think the yamaha would make for a better long distance bike. However since I'm on this board answering this question, you can guess what I actually got (in black :D)

sh

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
nontaxpayer said:

the M also has a gr8 feel. I'll b deciding com Jan/Feb/Mar (when deals r best and /or buying used), & if sum cat / dist develups a solid 5-6 in' 4ward cntrls unit by then - wil prbly go the M route. Go 260 as soon as the tire wears thin. Throw anuther 3 K-ish n accesor n2 it, & then it's sham-a-lam-a ding dong, ya no whut i'm sayin'!

Apologize n advance 4 the shrt eng verbage. 1 bad vice frum dating yunger chickepos.
:nopic:
regarding the chickepos that is... :evil:

·
Registered
133 Posts
you all keep hyping the perforamce of the m109 over the strat...you do realize the difference is 4 onehundredths of a second in the 1/4 dont you? not to mention stock on stock i believe the yammy has a higher top speed.

both are fantastic bikes, for handling i would pic the m109,

for comfort i would pic the roadliner. the riding position is very comfortable not to mention 2 up.

for modibility the yamaha wins hands down, main reason being the belt, you can change out the drive pully for next to nothing 200 bucks. also look at the aftermarket, the yamaha already has a HUUUUUGE aftermarket, the m109 at this point is still severely lacking. and you definitly cant go wrong with 113 ci under you.
throttle response, again goes to the yamaha, no jerkyness....and a supper smooth ride that is tame for a beginner.

looks definitly the M109, i am not to fond of the retro styling of the yamy....but again, the yammy has a huge aftermarket for fenders and gastanks

either way, test drive em both, and enjoy what ever you buy......

·
Registered
23 Posts
It all depends on how you are going to use it. For Long distance and two up riding, go with the Yamaha. For Solo riding and whooping ASS all over the place the M109R.  For me, I ride solo most of the time, plus I do get stuck in traffic every now and then, so I appreciate the liquid cooling. The features that I like on the M109R are the PHAT tire, Power, Liquid cooling, dual disc brakes in front, decent size gas tank, unusual looks (wont be confused as a Harley) and the price. The Yamaha is a nice Bike and has a big following, so there will be plenty of after market parts for it. (first things to change are those Madona inspired Blinkers)
I also considered these two bikes, and for me the M109R provided what I was looking for.
GOOD LUCK, and you can't go wrong with what ever you choose, they are both fine motorcycles. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
That was my decision too. It came down to how I thought I would be using it. I figured the M would suit me better.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
"you all keep hyping the perforamce of the m109 over the strat...you do realize the difference is 4 onehundredths of a second in the 1/4 dont you? not to mention stock on stock i believe the yammy has a higher top speed."

so the roadliner will do 145mph too? hadn't heard that. impressive...most impressive :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I also test drove both bikes and was dead set on the roadliner before riding the 109. The roadliner handles like a much bigger bike than the 109. The roadliner is also air cooled and changing fluids is a little more involved. The roadliner is a little softer and quieter, but the 109 is much more nimble. Both bikes have their pros and cons. You can't go wrong either way. The new '07 roadliners come in a few different colors and the blue looks real nice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
you all keep hyping the perforamce of the m109 over the strat...you do realize the difference is 4 onehundredths of a second in the 1/4 dont you? not to mention stock on stock i believe the yammy has a higher top speed.

both are fantastic bikes, for handling i would pic the m109,

for comfort i would pic the roadliner. the riding position is very comfortable not to mention 2 up.

for modibility the yamaha wins hands down, main reason being the belt, you can change out the drive pully for next to nothing 200 bucks. also look at the aftermarket, the yamaha already has a HUUUUUGE aftermarket, the m109 at this point is still severely lacking. and you definitly cant go wrong with 113 ci under you.
throttle response, again goes to the yamaha, no jerkyness....and a supper smooth ride that is tame for a beginner.

looks definitly the M109, i am not to fond of the retro styling of the yamy....but again, the yammy has a huge aftermarket for fenders and gastanks

either way, test drive em both, and enjoy what ever you buy......Hey slowpok it may be only 4/10 slower in the quarter,but after that say goodbuy,because the 109 checks out,i raced the straoliner with my slightly modded roadstar last summer,and it was only two bikes ahead at 115 mph indicated on the dreameter,and it was not pulling ahead all that fast,and the guy said it topped out about 125 speedo or he thought it had topped out,cause it stopped pulling,so to think the strat is going to pull top end numbers like the 109 is crazy at best,strat makes 86 rwhp 109 105-109 rwhp and real close in the weight dept. too..

·
Registered
133 Posts
noticed i said STOCK....the m109 is rated at 127mph STOCK top speed by testers....the strat is like 136(so i thought i read) or somthing STOCK radar tested on both of em.....this has been talked about many times before that people fail to remember there is a thing called SPEEDO ERROR....145 on a stock m109? ha, wont happen think the 127 is fairly accurate......again did i mention STOCK?

and why getting all pissy? both bikes are awsome, both have their advantages and dissadvantages, all one has to do is pick up any motorcycle magazine with comarisons of what i typed and see almost verbatum what i said......

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't own either bike and have never even ridden either bike but I guess it would depend on which bike fits you best. I understand the Liner is more comfy for longer runs and I would also think that if you do alot of 2-up riding the Liner would be better. I've sat on both bikes and I tend to like the sportyness of the 109. It just oozes coolness. If I did alot more distance riding I'd buy the Liner. I own a custom Yamaha Road Star and know for a fact that Yamaha has tons of accessories for most of their cruisers. Sadly, Suzuki is WAAAAAAAY behind. As far as performance goes, from people I've talked to who have ridden both bikes, the 109 is faster but not by much. The Liner comes with a smothered down 113 ci. Yamaha is good at taking potential HP's out of their motors but it doesn't take much to wake them up. My opinion, even though I really do like the looks of the 109, if Yamaha were to put the 113 in a Warrior, it would be a whole new ball game in the light to light drag racing world. Yamaha went to the 1700 for the Road Star up from the original 1600. The same 1700 is in the Warrior yet the Warrior is quicker than the regular Road Star due to gas/air flow and also gearing. If Yamaha did the same with the 113 then there would more than likely be a new "king" in the V-twin musclebike cruiser class.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the 109 will kill the roadliner by more then what the specs say. the roadliner is fast but still can't touch the 9.

don't worry about top speed, when are you going to use it?

figure out your purpose for the bike.

personally, i don't like yamaha, and i can't stand the rear turnsignals on the liners.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
um yes 145mph is on a stock 109, at least that's what the speedo reads, but they're more than likely off

·
Registered
343 Posts
109RS said:
the 109 will kill the roadliner by more then what the specs say. the roadliner is fast but still can't touch the 9.

don't worry about top speed, when are you going to use it?

figure out your purpose for the bike.

personally, i don't like yamaha, and i can't stand the rear turnsignals on the liners.
+1 I also don't like the front fender or the grandpa look. It is really quick for a boulevard bike though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
BlkM109r said:
um yes 145mph is on a stock 109, at least that's what the speedo reads, but they're more than likely off
hence the SPEEDO ERROR.....read a test on here somewhere, with a hopped up M109 on a dyno topped out at 150 and that was without the drag and it was modified..... again that 145 you see on the speedo is probably around 127 to 130 on a bone stock bike......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts