M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a 109 yet, but keep hearing about the problems with the transmission on these bikes. Has Suzuki addressed this problem with the shift forks and the 1-2 shifting?
Have viewed a few videos and seems like the oiling system to the trans is poorly designed and the forks are somewhat soft. Need info before purchasing a new (2023).

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
I don't have a 109 yet, but keep hearing about the problems with the transmission on these bikes. Has Suzuki addressed this problem with the shift forks and the 1-2 shifting?
Have viewed a few videos and seems like the oiling system to the trans is poorly designed and the forks are somewhat soft. Need info before purchasing a new (2023).
Welcome to the forum! Cheers! 馃嵒
I have not hear about Suzuki adressing that "problem" yet.
Personally I wouldn麓t worry about it, it is not that common of a
problem, to make you not buying M109, I own 2009 since new
here in Europe, still no problem, and I also owned 2011 in
Canada for a few years, and had no problem wit it...Just take
a test ride, and you will be hooked, as many of us here...

Registered
I don't know how wide spread devastating shifting problems are on the M109. However, I owned a 2006 model and it didn't shift well between 1st and 2nd gear. Clutch effort was always quite high. There were changes in subsequent years in the clutch and possibly other parts of the transmission. I now own a 2013 and it shifts a lot better. Much smoother through all of the gears and there is much less clutch effort required. But the newer M109 doesn't shift anywhere nearly as smooth as any of my Hondas,

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Supposedly from about 2011, maybe 2012, and up they did something to improve it. They went from a 5 plate to a 6 plate clutch at the same time which makes the clutch action smoother and eliminated the clutch chatter some of the older models had.

Registered
Welcome to the forum. In 2011, Suzuki went from a 5 to a 4 dog setup on second gear. They also enlarged the ball on the shift fork. The fact is that since they know of the problem, and didn't back cut the gears, it is still going to happen. We do a lot of 06-09 transmissions but we are starting to see more of the later year bikes.

Registered
Hmmmm, maybe it is Goldwing for me.....last thing I need is trans problems and buying an extended warranty is really paying for it in advance.......
And they still put in the OEM stuff so it really isn't solving anything. We just did one that the dealer did 6 or7 years ago. It is a great bike and if you get 2011-present, the chances are far less.

Shift earlier from first to second. Problems (from what I hear) mainly occur in higher revs.
Good advice, although not 100% correct. I do recommend everyone do this, but I have seen plenty of these where the owner does exactly that and shift at low rpms. The dogs just start wearing by the design and it just goes.

Registered
Welcome to the forum! Cheers! 馃嵒
I have not hear about Suzuki adressing that "problem" yet.
Personally I wouldn麓t worry about it, it is not that common of a
problem, to make you not buying M109, I own 2009 since new
here in Europe, still no problem, and I also owned 2011 in
Canada for a few years, and had no problem wit it...Just take
a test ride, and you will be hooked, as many of us here...
27 K miles on my 08 c109r, no shifting or tranny issues. I hit it on occasion, not every red light. Seems fine for now. Sam

Registered
I don't have a 109 yet, but keep hearing about the problems with the transmission on these bikes. Has Suzuki addressed this problem with the shift forks and the 1-2 shifting? Have viewed a few videos and seems like the oiling system to the trans is poorly designed and the forks are somewhat soft. Need info before purchasing a new (2023).
i have an 2007 yea it shifts hard between 1 -2 after eating 2 clutch cables i went to hydraulic clutch setup and pro evo shift star and 6 plate clutch system (newer bikes already have 6 plate) bike shifts smooth now. All bikes have issues but if you want a beast of a bike the M109 is a beast not many can handle .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts