M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a 109 forum and the opinions here are bound to be a bit slanted, but most people tend to retain their common sense regrdless of what they own, and I will probably get a lot of useful feedback from all of you.

I have test ridden several VTX's, and I was finally able to test ride a 109 last weekend. To be totally honest, both bikes are very nice and I would probably be happy with either, but just the same, I want to avoid having any regrets. There really isn't any aspect of either bike I dislike, but each has its own strong points over the other.

Things I like about the 109:

The power delivery. It's there all the time, and the extra 2K of RPM range gives it that much wider of a usable range.

The sound. Suzuki did a much better job with the exhaust system than did Honda. The pipes on the 109 look better, and they have just the right amount throatiness without being too loud. The pipes on the VTX's look okay (except for that hidious looking telephone pole on the "C" model), but they're all too quiet.

That phat rear tire. The 240 on the 109 is one bas a$$ looking donut!

Things I like about the VTX:

The riding position. The VTX feels more comfortable for me. The handlebars, foot pegs, and seating position seem to be a perfect fit for me.

The overall fit and finish. As nice as the 109 looks (and it looks very nice), the quality of the fit and finish of the Honda looks better to me. The chrome (the real stuff, not the plastic pieces) looks deeper and richer, and the overall quality of all the parts looks better on the Honda.

Aftermarket items. There's much more aftermarket stuff available for the VTX, though that will probably even out a bit after the 109 has been around for a few years.

While I've owned many more Hondas than Suzukis in my lifetime, I really don't feel there's an adavantage either way in terms of reliability or build quality. I've known a lot of people who have owned Suzukis and none of them have had any problems with them. I don't think a person could go wrong with any bike from any of the big 4 metric companies. None of them will put any bike into production that hasn't been throuroghly tried and tested.

I guess an advantage towards a VTX would be availability. There is no shortage of used, low mileage VTX's on the market, and I could get one (probably with several of the aftermarket goodies I want) for several $K less than what I'd have to pay for a 109. Since the 109 is so new, I'd either have to buy a new one, or pay close to new price for a used one.

I know you guys can't decide for me, and I'm not asking you to, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i test rode both as well and it came down to price for me. i went with the 109, im sure they are going to have lots of accessories for it soon. If you did decide on the VTX, i know here in colorado we have some on the sales floors that are 2004 models and go pretty cheap.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Wow, sounds like you've really thought it out.... Not sure what I can offer other than both bikes are good choices. It will all boil down to what is more important to you.

Is riding comfort more important? If so, the VTX may have the advantage, though you can always easily raise the bars on the 109 for a more upright riding position.

Is power more important? Well this is almost a tossup. the 109 will pretty much spank any stock VTX, but it is pretty close.

Do you like the fat ass end? Well, hands down the 109 is your choice. Gonna cost a couple extra grand to get that wheel/tire on the VTX.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jim, I'm afraid most here are a little more than biased.We are in fact a love feast with the 109 and what short comings it has,are easily overlooked by the sheer thrill of riding the best looking,best performing crusier out there.Did I mention I've owned many bikes,began riding and owning since the 60's...the 109 is my favorite of all.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If power/performance matters:
guy I rode with last night has a modified VTX1800. I think he averaged ~8.25s in the 1/8th mile
guy I'm riding tonight with has an unmodded (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong ITGuy) M109..and he got about the same times last week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you like attention?
If so, then the 109 will have complete strangers coming up to you and asking you about the bike all the time. (This will probably subside over time)
Pipes can be changed on the VTX and there is a large selection that will get you the sound you want.
If the VTX fits you better, than that is worth a lot, not much sense in getting a bike you won't ride that much because it's uncomfortable. However, a different seat cut or adjusting the handlebars may give it that just right feeling.
My brother has a VTX and he is very happy with it, I went for the 109 because quite simply I fell in love with it. It was an emotional purchase and I didn't care who made it or how comfortable it was. I simply knew that this was the bike for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've owned a VTX1300 c, which there is no power comparison to the 1800 or the M109. But, from what I was told the 1300 handles better than the 1800. I do know that the M109 is heavier than the 1300, but the 9 feels much lighter and handles much better than the 1300.
As for looks, I like them both.. The 9 has a different look to any other bike, which I like... Also, the VTX has A LOT more after market stuff for it. Which I 'm sure more will come for the 9... Honda did a good number when the came out with the X. Gave the metric bikes a good recognition over the HDs at a good price...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I feel your pain, poor fellow...the decision deserves careful analysis.

However, to me this is kinda like being the guy who is faced with marrying Sophia Loren or Marilyn Monroe.

And then saying to himself,

"Gosh, she's nice but I bet Marilyn makes a terrible spaghetti sauce."

or

"I like Sophia but do you think my friends will mind that she's not made in America?"

I say be thankful you've got two such wonderful choices, pick one, climb aboard and enjoy the ride.

LG

G

·
It sounds to me like you are leaning towards the VTX. I looked at both before buying the 109. That being said, and as you said, both are great bikes. I went with the 109 for the following reasons:
1) Personally, I liked the looks of the 109 better. It just looked more streamlined.
2) That rear tire really is nice
3) In my area, all I could find were 05's. If I wanted an 06, I had to wait and for the Level 3 it was a long wait.

Honda makes a great bike. No two ways about it, but as was said earlier, you are going to get just a little bit of bias towards the 109 here. The aftermarket will catch up on the 109. It will just take a little longer. Honda is alot better organized than Suzuki and personally I think they do better R and D. Whatever you choose make sure it what is best for you.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, if I'm leaning at all, I think it's towards the 109, but I can't say why. Maybe it has more charisma, maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the looks, maybe it's the power, or a little of all the above. I just want to make sure I make the right choice.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As with every motorized thing I buy I always look for the best bang for the buck. And looking at the VTX verses th 109 it's hands down the 109. The lack of comfort can be easily fixed. But the lack of performance will take much time and money to correct. Just my .02 :doorag:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Okay, I'll do what everyone here needed to do from post 1...

Go buy the 109... stop wondering which choice is best, and just ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF HER :)

Come post back, tell us how much fun you are having, and we can say your welcome :)

I've heard all the viewpoints from everyone, and hearing so many VTX and former VTX riders praising the 109 and saying how glad they were to have switched, I know you will be happy too...

:)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
red1951man said:
  As with every motorized thing I buy I always look for the best bang for the buck. And looking at the VTX verses th 109 it's hands down the 109. The lack of comfort can be easily fixed. But the lack of performance will take much time and money to correct. Just my .02  :doorag:
Keep in mind there are many used VTX's available with aftermarket go fast goodies already installed like exhaust systems, intake mods and, PCIII's and such which probably make the X very comparable to the 109 in terms of performance. These bikes can also be had for several $K less than a 109. See my dilemma?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Its a hard decision.. I was also looking at the VTX, the Warrior, the Vrod, and the rocket....

The Rocket got cut first because IMO it was just ugly....
The warrior, Vtx, and Vrod were still i nthe running...

Warrior had amazing sound and excelent handling.. but lacked a refinment...
Vrod was a little to pricey but had a good reseale... but i was buying for keeps...
Vtx - Lots of mods avalaible.. been out longer.. all kinds of availability... The availibility got me thinking.... WOnder why everyone is getting rid of there vtx's.... that along with a few styling things scaried me off...
Then the 109... I couldn;t find a real negative to purchasing it.... then i laid eyes on a silver one... and had to have it.... love at first site :)...
This bike makes me grin more than any motorcycle i have EVER owned.... and you get a ton of attenstion owning it... (that will probably die down in a few years)

I say go with your gut... and when ya don;t don't regret yoru decision...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's one thing I noticed that happens every time a new model bike is released. There are always a bunch of people who HAVE to have one just because it's the newest thing available. So people buy these bikes by the hoards, then many end up for sale within the first year or two for various reasons. This happened with the VTX, and I'm guessing it will happen with the 109 as well. Maybe I'll just hang and see how that pans out. I might be able to pick up a barely used 109 for several $K less than what they're going for now.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Viper_814 said:
you have a higher level degree of patients then i do. I saw it i had to have it.
That's called impulse buying and I think it's the main reason a lot of these bikes end up for sale shortly after their purchased. One person's loss is usually someone else's gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
grampi,
I own an X and if I was shopping today and had to buy new I probably would get the 109 based on performance potential. Since even my bike with pipes, fuel processor and mod intake is beyond my riding capabilities to really wring it out, maybe price does have a place. Many well equipped 1800VTX's out there for 8-9k with low miles. Reliability might be in Honda's corner as the X's problems are documented and a known factor. Suzuki builds quality but new models usually have bugs to work out. I would love to have a 109 but not worth upgrade for 4 grand and then the accessories start. When I got my 1800 I figured I would have enough power to leave it stock. What was I thinking, so add at least 2 grand to whatever price you buy one for. Will a 109 blow me away? Well lets just say I might hang in there but would not trash talk and be happy if I ever got in front.
My next choice may be between a Silverwing and a Burgman (scooters) Wonder if there are boards for them

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SWFLA-X said:
grampi,
 I own an X and if I was shopping today and had to buy new I probably would get the 109 based on performance potential. Since even my bike with pipes, fuel processor and mod intake is beyond my riding capabilities to really wring it out, maybe price does have a place. Many well equipped 1800VTX's out there for 8-9k with low miles. Reliability might be in Honda's corner as the X's problems are documented and a known factor. Suzuki builds quality but new models usually have bugs to work out. I would love to have a 109 but not worth upgrade for 4 grand and then the accessories start. When I got my 1800 I figured I would have enough power to leave it stock. What was I thinking, so add at least 2 grand to whatever price you buy one for. Will a 109 blow me away? Well lets just say I might hang in there but would not trash talk and be happy if I ever got in front.
 My next choice may be between a Silverwing and a Burgman (scooters) Wonder if there are boards for them
What year and model X do you have and what are your mods?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts