M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I parked the bike in the garage and it sat for about a week. The weather has gotten a lot colder up here in Minnesota and so I'm not able to ride as much as I'd like to. Anyway, I got it out to go for a ride on Sunday since it was almost 60  :doorag: and I couldn't keep her running. :(  It started up fine and after ideling for just a minute it died. I started it back up and same result. I thought maybe it was just a little cold so I started down the road nice and easy to let her warm up. When I got to the first stop sign and I pulled the clutch in she died again. I rode for about an hour and had to be careful to "give her a little throttle" every time I was in neutral or pulled the clutch in and let it idel down. It died every chance she had. Even as I pulled back in the driveway she died one last time.  :dontknow: I'm not too mechanically inclined and will probably take it in to the dealer for warranty work but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem or if I was the first, and what ideas you guys had for what the problem might be.  :dontknow:  Thanks in advance!!

As an after thought, she is 100% stock still. Hoping to do some mods this winter, but nothing yet. Just a little over 5000 miles. Only other problems I've had is clutch had to be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I only had one strange ordeal like this. I just got the bike and the second day, I ride to a park to take some pictures. The damn bike would NOT turn over. Fuel was fine, battery fine, but it would just wheeze and die. Waited about 5 minutes, tried a few more times...then it started and I haven't had a problem since. Was the strangest thing and I just knew I was screwed..luckily I wasn't

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad sensor, I know on cars when it stalls out like that it has a bad air temp sensor or iac motor... In other words it should be coverd under your warranty.. best of luck , and please tell us what the problem was.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does the 109 have an inlet air temp sensor, and if so does anyone know
where it is located. On a car you can disconnect this and put a 33k
resistor in place of it to make the ECU think that the motor is always cold
and it will feed more fuel in to compensate for the cold motor. Works on cars.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I do not know,  But the bike is FI so the ECU has to know air temp, timing, map readings and other values to run.
It was a stab in the dark. I work on cars and truck all day long and a FI system on a bike can not be that different.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Maybe bad fuel? A week does not seem long enough to truly affect the fuel but if you had a marginal batch in there it might.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this isn't my first bike and I haven't really had much time to look at it or even ride it since this happened. One thing to note is that when I got back and talked to my girlfriends Harley riding/selling dad he mentioned something about the tank being pressurized possibly. We took the gas cap off and it ran just fine sitting there idling. I didn't take it back out for a ride after that, but it didn't act up as it sat there. I don't know if this makes it more confusing or maybe would make more sense to someone, but just thought I'd add. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Josh,
Yup, it sounds like your fuel tank isn't breathing properly. I think the gas cap is supposed to maintain the proper pressure in the tank so every time the bike idled it acted like it was running out of gas. I'd have your dealer check your gas cap for sure. Of course getting a new one keyed to your bike might be tricky, but I'm sure your dealer can handle it. Good luck! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts