M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story: recently I took long 2000 miles trip. The weather was 33 degrease Celsius. Somewhere on the road I got a stone to my radiator, thus the radiator was broken in the bottom side of it. Of course all antifreeze went out. And since I was riding, I did not notice it. In a while after going slow in the traffic, red temperature light went on. I stopped to check - the level of antifreeze in the tank at the left of the motorcycle was ok (if you have a hole in the radiator - there is no pressure to suck the antifreeze from the tank at the left of the motorcycle, so it shows good level …), and no antifreeze were coming from the radiator (I guess by that time it was empty…). Oil level was good too. So I decided that all that overheating is due to the very hot weather and continued the journey.
After that ive done about 1000 miles. The red light sometimes went on in the traffic jams, but if you go smoothly with no traffic jams and hard acceleration the light is off. Yesterday I went to the mechanics to check the matter, and that's when we discovered that there is NO UNTIFREEZE in the bike.
I'm very surprised that 109 can make 1000 mileas with no antifreeze without significant and obvious damage to it…
I have to admit that no extraordinary or new noises are coming from the engine after this trip. But I wander what consequences I might have after this??? Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
305 Posts
NOT GOOD! if these engines work like a car engine i would check your oil to see if it has coolant in it if it dont i would do a pressure test on your heads....one more time this is if these engines work like car engines.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Not good at all. :eek: :eek:

For that light to come on with no antifreeze in the system, it was REALLY hot. I always expalin it this way. There is a sensor that measures the coolant temp. Lets say that your thermostate opens at 180 degrees. You can put your hand in an oven for a short period of time that is set to 180 degrees, but how long do you think your finger would last in a pot full of 180 degree antifreeze? So to have the same effect, the oven would need to be many times hotter to feel the same effect. The oil does take some of the heat and our jugs have fins on them, like an air cooled motor. But you could have a long, $$ road ahead of you. Best of wishes.

:welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is there the possibility there was a little amount of anti freeze to cycle through the engine? Trying to be optimistic.

G

·
If there was significant damage it would be to the cylinders, rings and pistons first. Do a compression test and check the oil for fine metal particulates. Put it in a glass container, shake it, and hold it up to the light. You should see some sparkly stuff floating around but not alot. You could send oil it out for oil annaysis to be sure. If you had synthetic oil in in it might have saved you as it can maintain lubrication at much higher temps than convetional oils. That, combined with the plasma coated cylinders and the fins might have been enough to prevent critical damage. If it has good compression and runs good with the cooling system fixed you have nothing to loose but running it till it has problems. It will most likely start loosing power and burning oil or exhaust valves leaking. You'd have the same repair bill as you would now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NOT GOOD! if these engines work like a car engine i would check your oil to see if it has coolant in it if it dont i would do a pressure test on your heads....one more time this is if these engines work like car engines.
Well I guess these engine are not exactly like car ones. Car one would die 10 miles after it looses antifreeze. These engines do apparently get chilled by the air, not only the antifreeze. Otherwise I would not be able to do 1000 miles without antifreeze.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there was significant damage it would be to the cylinders, rings and pistons first. Do a compression test and check the oil for fine metal particulates. Put it in a glass container, shake it, and hold it up to the light. You should see some sparkly stuff floating around but not alot. You could send oil it out for oil annaysis to be sure. If you had synthetic oil in in it might have saved you as it can maintain lubrication at much higher temps than convetional oils. That, combined with the plasma coated cylinders and the fins might have been enough to prevent critical damage. If it has good compression and runs good with the cooling system fixed you have nothing to loose but running it till it has problems. It will most likely start loosing power and burning oil or exhaust valves leaking. You'd have the same repair bill as you would now.
Thanks for the info!
By now I fixed the cooling system and it seems to be fine and no power loss yet (or maybe I just don't want to notice it:))) I'm just thinking that MAYBE good oil, fins and good constant airflow did its work and I would avoid any damage at all????? DO you think it is possible?
I will do the compression test tomorrow anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, yesterday I did final checks:
After I fixed the radiator, cooling system works just file. Level of antifreeze is stable.
No sign of antifreeze is discovered in oil.
No sign of metal particulates is discovered in oil too. Magnetic oil drain bolts are clean too.
Compression test is perfect on both cylinders.
After tests Ive ridden bike hard for about 150 miles. Everything looks just fine…
Maybe something will come up with the time, but now its ok.
Thanks for help!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
so, its true the bikes have a "limp home mode" a mode that Cadillac started, when the engine starts overheating the computer starts cycling power to every other cylinder while dumping fuel to cool the combustion chamber, thus, running at 1/2 power. glad to know no damage was done, ride safe

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Well, yesterday I did final checks:
After I fixed the radiator, cooling system works just file. Level of antifreeze is stable.
No sign of antifreeze is discovered in oil.
No sign of metal particulates is discovered in oil too. Magnetic oil drain bolts are clean too.
Compression test is perfect on both cylinders.
After tests Ive ridden bike hard for about 150 miles. Everything looks just fine…
Maybe something will come up with the time, but now its ok.
Thanks for help!
Sounds like you got lucky. I would think you would feel any effect/damage right away. :congrats:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts