M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member - I want to thank all of you for the wealth of information here. Upon purchase I asked the dealer about the oil overfill situation and was asssured that wouldn't be the case. It was. But thanks for the heads up or I would have had no idea why my Burple monster was bleeding oil out the left side. My question is this: During the break in period I would hear what I thought was pinging when I blipped the trottle from idle. I installed the JSD 3M (Thanks again!) and two tanks ago I began running Cam 2 100 octane($7.50 per gallon). I assumed due to the high compression and timing retardation that these two measures would alleviate the problem. It's gone now. I'm not sure if this was a break in period malady, imagined, or solved by the gas and TRE mod. I also wonder if anyone else has experienced this pinging? There are some incredible brains on this forum - Is 100 octane too high? Unnecessary? Potentially damaging to the engine? Or should I go with 110 octane which is also available? Very curious what the thoughts are out there on the subject.....

Thanks in advance(no ignition pun intended),
Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use 93 octane and have no pinging. Just my $.02, but you probably don't need the 100 or 110 octane fuels.

G

·
i drag race mine 90 % of the time & i only run 91 sunoco no promblems no ping
higher octaine does not always get you more HP

·
Registered
844 Posts
Joet -- do you "drag race yours" at a track?? What is your ET/speed for the 1/4. Any mods??

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is a post from JR on octane. JR knows his $h!t.

Re: Fuel
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The higher the octane the slower the burn rate which = less timing in effect.(slower bike)Any more octane than the motor needs is a waste and will make you go slower.If you spark knock then you need to go to a higher octane but putting racing fuel in you stock vehicles that don't require it doesn't do anything but decrease performance. Nitrous turbo,s and the like that raise cyl pressure often you need the race gas to keep the engine from detonating along with high comp bla bla bla.But a stock bike I'm sorry fella,s but its not doing anything for you.actally the lowest octane you can get away with running without spark knock will be the "fastest" no matter what engine.I'm not saying go run your 109 with the reg unleaded as it calls for the super unleaded.But if it where gonna go faster from gasoline alone the faster the burn rate the better and the lower octane fuels have the faster burn rate.Ya wanna put somthing in your fuel that will make it faster go check out http://www.pricechemical.com/max_race.htm It does work but then Nitromethene always has

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Save you money and use 90/93 octane.....that's sufficient to stop any pinging. Your owners manual, page 2-2, states "use premium unleaded gasoline only" with a minimum pump rating of 90 octane. Your owners manual also states "that if you experience pinging, switch brands of gasoline"!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses (Especially JR's - He Does know his stuff!). I'm gonna stick with BP's 93. Appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Agree with the above two statements. There is no need for that high an octane and the reduced burn rate might actually rob a little bit of power.

Also lower air density can reduce the needed octane rating. i.e. the high octane gas in Denver is rated lower than the high octane stuff in FL. Gas burns air and with less air you want a faster detonation because there is less oxygen on the cylinder to burn.

That's why engines loose power at altitude and in high heat (one reason).

I have heard that you can go down one octane rating for every 1500 ft. so If JR uses 98? in FL then Trouble_is could use 95 in Denver.

Anyway, don't use 100 you don't need it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
91 octane is the highest you can get here at the corner gas station. I've ridden quite a bit at altitudes over 9,000 feet and haven't noticed any performance fall-off. I was wondering this past weekend if maybe the higher altitude here would help keep my M from running lean if I decide to modify the stock pipes. I know cars that are to be sold in higher altitudes have the computers modified to compensate... not sure about motorcycles. Anyone know if they are?

·
Registered
752 Posts
They M109 isn't programed differently for where it will be sold..

The cars have O2 sensors and automatically adjust for higher or lower altitude they aren't preprogrammed as they are now smart enough to make the changes themselves on the fly.

A California M109 might even be able to adjust itself, probably not though, but it does have an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gotcha :bigthumbsup: I wish I knew more about this stuff. If you asked me about music - drums specifically - I'd be able to ramble on and on ::) I've seen it asked several times but never saw a real answer to the question of needing a F.I. unit for mild exhaust mods to the stock exhaust (removing/hacking up the baffles). I'd like to do this but don't need the sound at the expense of a crappy running bike and/or major repairs down the road :mad:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
BP fuels are ranked #2 as of now and have been in top 10 last decade in terms of clean fuel...best degree of detergents and so on...to help keep those injectors and such clean. Shell...Mobile , Conoco...Exxon follow...I will find the article I found online and post ...very interesting read.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Be careful with the steady diet of 100 octane. Your motor would most likely get addicted to it  and and will run like crap if you switch later. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.