M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a clean used backrest and pad for a Softail Deuce on EBay for $91. I think you can get both pieces new for around $120 +tax. I saw several on EBay though. Here are the pics... It is solid and looks great. I might get my wife on now.

Here's One Now: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__deuce-backrest_W0QQ_nkwZdeuceQ20backrestQQ_fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1
I'm going to try to pick up a couple extras now that I've tested it and trust it. Let me know if you're trying to get one. I don't want to run the bidding up on a 109er...

Be sure to pop enough of the staples to give yourself room to pull the material back quite a ways...

The plate that comes with the riser is not needed... but is a handy template to mark the holes.

Use a good staple gun to resecure the material to the plastic seat structure... I found it helpful to try to get the new staples in the holes where the old ones were removed.

I tried to find some shorter bolts... but couldn't. I thought I would have to grind these off... but they actually create a tighter fit against the rear seat fastener that the tounge on the seat fits into. I don't see any rubbing... so I'll probably leave them.

One flat washer and a lock washer for a bigger bite...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
From the "mod" to the "how to" with great pics.....outstanding :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Very professional job :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am assuming you did not use the plate provided to secure it....
Did you use just bolts and washers??

Can we get a pic of the underside of the seat with it all bolted on?

And I have to ask, what did you do to clean up the cut in the back of the seat for looks and rain?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Nice job..congrats..wouldn't mind that on mine and like the idea that it is attached to the pillion seat (and comes off with it) and not a fixture to the bike! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NateHop04 said:
Nice Job :bigthumbsup: Good E-Bay Find. How long did it take you to do the whole thing from end to end?
Took about 2 hours total.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pr0wl3r-X said:
I am assuming you did not use the plate provided to secure it....
Did you use just bolts and washers??

Can we get a pic of the underside of the seat with it all bolted on?

And I have to ask, what did you do to clean up the cut in the back of the seat for looks and rain?
I will get a pic of the underside tonight. Sorry about that... ran out of time. I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up some rubber weather stripping and put on for now. I don't know how it would hold up to the elements. I really only need the passenger seat every now and then so I might have to get something better suited to UV exposure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really like the looks of that :D Just curious, how sturdy is it? Does the seat flex or the backrest flex, thanks?

I hope not, love the looks for those times when the wife wants to ride along with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:( well I did it I got the parts from Harley and I followed your instructions, but screwed up the upholstery. So I'm going to see if i can get the upholstery redone..but I like the mini backrest and its great..
Once I get the upholstery fixed I'll drop line and let you know with some pics..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kissimmee09 said:
:( well I did it I got the parts from Harley and I followed your instructions, but screwed up the upholstery. So I'm going to see if i can get the upholstery redone..but I like the mini backrest and its great..
Once I get the upholstery fixed I'll drop line and let you know with some pics..
ouch... if you don't mind me asking... when did the upholstery get screwed up? Which step?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mental said:
I really like the looks of that :DÂ Just curious, how sturdy is it? Does the seat flex or the backrest flex, thanks?

I hope not, love the looks for those times when the wife wants to ride along with me.
No flex at all... I pushed against it with my weight and it won't move. The ultimate skeptic will be riding back there... so it had to be a qualilty job.

BTW... I just modified the original post with the additional pictures.

·
Registered
721 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I know from experience ,this mod LOOKS great and will keep your passenger from sliding off, but god forbid they really put their weight on it ,the plastic seat frame will bend and may break .It will definately bent and give your passenger a hell of a scare under heavy throttle. You may need to extend each plate towards the front of the seat frame to get a little more stability. :tools: :bigthumbsup:
This mod looks REAL good.....

But I am also concerned.

You should atleast add some decent sized washers if possible, except it looks like you can't with the forward bolt.

Those nuts look to be hanging onto the very edge of a hole in the plastic.

I am wondering how much weight X how much force (G's) it would take to yank one or all of those nuts right through said hole ?? And weakening over time??

Any math gurus in the group ??

Sorry, JMHO....

EDIT!!
Sorry, I see the washers.... Still, not much there.

But as I said before, it looks REAL good :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea... I have plenty of room... I think I'll put some bigger washers on there to prevent fatigue. I'm pretty impressed with the strength of the plastic in that seat.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
jwebb said:
yea... I have plenty of room... I think I'll put some bigger washers on there to prevent fatigue. I'm pretty impressed with the strength of the plastic in that seat.Â
You did a great job! Instead of using washers could you get three small pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" thick plywood and epoxy them in place and run the bolts through them?? Just a suggestion!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
bob109 said:
You did a great job! Instead of using washers could you get three small pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" thick plywood and epoxy them in place and run the bolts through them?? Just a suggestion!!
       :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just updated the pics... the flat washers gave me a better bite.

I'm pretty confident it will work... ( <--- Aren't you glad I'm not your brain surgeon.) :joke:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
jwebb said:
Just updated the pics... the flat washers gave me a better bite.

I'm pretty confident it will work... ( <--- Aren't you glad I'm not your brain surgeon.)  :joke:
That is a great mod and your workman-ship is firstclass :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 194 Posts